all posts post new thread

Simple path

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Monday 31/07

Today I started the preparation week for the tendinopaty program. I´m a bit scared of soreness from the volume of the program, so today I did 2x10 with the weight the program calls for 3x15:

Goblet squat: 1x7 as warm up

Zercher squat: 2x10 35 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 2x10 35 kg

Leg extensions: 2x10 45 kg.

Stretch: Quick 90/90, QL Straddle, hip flexor and rolling massage on quads with a dumbell bar.

It wasnt very challenging, but I took long rests anyway to keep good form and help recovery tomorrow. The program calls for a 3 second negative and 3 second positive, but I forgot to do it. The reps were kind of slow, but not sure if 3 seconds possitive/negative. Anyway, I dont think I´ll be able to use these weights for 3x15 with the 3 second speed, as the time under tension is just a lot. I´ll have to see how both adaptation weeks go before deciding.

Not sure if I´ll be able to walk tomorrow. If I cant walk I´m gonna have to go walking to the office to keep the legs moving.

Extra quadricep and hamstring stretching helps me a lot.

Power to you my friend.:)

@masa thanks! to be honest I have been a bit lazy about hamstring stretches lately. I only started again yesterday with the QL straddle that gives a good stretch. Will get back at it.

So you are also struggling with a tendinosis?

So you are also struggling with a tendinosis?
Yes, and leg got weaker because of it and then I slipped. Patellar tendon couldn't handle the stress and it split into two halves. I went to operation last year. Leg was damaged before during nerve damage due to disc explosion in my lower back thou. But it was years ago. Quadricep muscles went numb.

Yes, and leg got weaker because of it and then I slipped. Patellar tendon couldn't handle the stress and it split into two halves. I went to operation last year. Leg was damaged before during nerve damage due to disc explosion in my lower back thou. But it was years ago. Quadricep muscles went numb.

Thats a pity @masa sorry to hear that. And you are doing better of the tendinosis now? If I recall correctly from your log you are now doing PT because of back pain isnt it?

Thats a pity @masa sorry to hear that. And you are doing better of the tendinosis now? If I recall correctly from your log you are now doing PT because of back pain isnt it?
PT is for both knee and back. I have some atrophy in my left leg and balance problems (can't stand with a one leg properly etc.). Slight inflammation in both knees infriquently. Back is another case. I have suffered 25 years now.

PT is for both knee and back. I have some atrophy in my left leg and balance problems (can't stand with a one leg properly etc.). Slight inflammation in both knees infriquently. Back is another case. I have suffered 25 years now.

@masa sorry to hear that. But you have managed to work up to the 32 for S&S, which is quite an achievement having back and knee problems.

Tuesday 1/8

Modified S&S to 40%

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 2×5 GS ; 2×5 bridges ; 1×5 halos

Practice:
- 4 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg. Time by feel
- 4 x 5 military press. 14 kg

Wed 02/08

To my surprise, no signs of soreness from Monday. Great news. So I decided to increase total reps from 20 to 24 with the same weight today. Forced day off tomorrow due to a trip to Montevideo anyway, so I can afford some soreness.

Zercher squat: 3x8 35 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x8 35 kg

Leg extensions: 2x8 45 kg. (Quad felt a little tense so I called it quits)

I'm enjoying the zerchers. Great exercise.

No signs of knee pain these days, so keeping my hopes up

Friday 4/8

Modified S&S to 40%

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

Sunday 6/08

no signs of soreness so far. So I'm either doing things right or training like a big sissy. Slight increase in weights this time.

Zercher squat: 3x8 40 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x8 40 kg

Leg extensions: 3x8 45 kg.

I have to focus on the 3 secs down and 3 secs up. Not sure I'm complying with this

Monday 7/8

Modified S&S to 40%

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

Tuesday 8/08

Still no soreness... I wasnt feeling very energetic so I decided to increase the weight a bit and only do 2 sets of 8 reps each. Felt some pain on the tendon during the smith, so had to reduce weight and cut it short. Hopefully it won't be significant.

Zercher squat: 2x8 45 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 1x4 45 kg, 1x4 40 kg, 1x4 40 kg (aimed for 8, cut short )

Leg extensions: 2x8 45 kg.

Wednesday 9/8

Modified S&S to 50%

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:
- 5 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg. Time by feel
- 5 x 5 military press. 14 kg

Friday 11/8

Modified S&S to 50% (no warm up)

Practice:

Sunday 13/8

Both the recovery routine + some swings and presses. Travelling for work tomorrow so I can force myself a bit.

Zercher squat: 1x8 35kg. 2x8 45 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x8 45 kg

Modified S&S to 40%

Practice:
- 2 x 20 1HS . 14 Kg. Time by feel
- 2 x 10 military press. 14 kg

Comments:

• for the latest s&s sessions I have decided to increase to 5 sets instead of 4. Haven't notices the difference in general, so I guess I'm ready for it. I'll keep with 5 for about 2 weeks and then increase to 6

Thanks @masa , is going quite ok. I usually dont feel any pain at all during training. Sometimes I feel some pain in the knee the day after, but it appears to me it is more related to tight muscles than a problem in the tendon itself. Im trying to pay more attention to stretching and massaging. How is your return to S&S doing?

Thanks @masa , is going quite ok. I usually dont feel any pain at all during training. Sometimes I feel some pain in the knee the day after, but it appears to me it is more related to tight muscles than a problem in the tendon itself. Im trying to pay more attention to stretching and massaging. How is your return to S&S doing?
Thanks for asking. S&S started rather well. I was confused at first which program to choose, S&S or PM. Second thing is that swings feels too light. But if I add weight now, my getups might suffer.

Likewise. I agree with that tight muscle thing. If I don't stretch my quads and hamstrings daily, I've might got a burning sensations in the knees. Even that I don't practice that day.

@masa , have you considered swinging the 31kg and doing GU with the 24? as per the book, thats perfectly fine:

"It goes without saying that your swings and get-ups will progress at a different rate. If your swings are at five minutes, you do not need to wait for the get-ups to hit ten before bumping up your swing weight."

Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister (Posición en Kindle1447-1448). . Edición de Kindle.

@masa , have you considered swinging the 31kg and doing GU with the 24? as per the book, thats perfectly fine:

"It goes without saying that your swings and get-ups will progress at a different rate. If your swings are at five minutes, you do not need to wait for the get-ups to hit ten before bumping up your swing weight."

Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell Simple & Sinister (Posición en Kindle1447-1448). . Edición de Kindle.
Yes, I've considered it. I'm confident I can do it. Just dunno which one is better, a sharp change or add slowly?

Yes, I've considered it. I'm confident I can do it. Just dunno which one is better, a sharp change or add slowly?

I would go by the book, progressively replacing sets of swings with the 24 by swings by the 31. Maybe you can add about 1 set with the 31 every 2 weeks, and in about 10 weeks you will be working exclusively with the 31. The book also recommends listening to your body and taking light days, so if any given day you feel like you want to de-load, you can just do the 10 sets with the 24.

I would go by the book, progressively replacing sets of swings with the 24 by swings by the 31. Maybe you can add about 1 set with the 31 every 2 weeks, and in about 10 weeks you will be working exclusively with the 31. The book also recommends listening to your body and taking light days, so if any given day you feel like you want to de-load, you can just do the 10 sets with the 24.
Thanks. I might try that 10 week progression. Listening body is a good guideline and if my hr rises too much, I deload then too.

Tuesday 15th August

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

I'm
finally understanding what Pavel means by saying that the session should leave you energized. Some months ago when I was doing sets of 10, II ended up a bit tired. Now I'm finishing wanting to do more. So maybe I wasn't ready back then. This is a great feeling, I'll progress slowly in order to keep it.

Wednesday 16th August

After latest tendinosis routine session I felt the right amount of soreness: only a little. And in that session I also did a few swings and presses, so removing those I have my sweet spot. Today I'm repeating the same reps and sets, so hopefully tomorrow I won't be very sore. If so, I will rearrange the 12 week program based on these numbers and start it next week, after 3 week preparation.

Zercher squat: 3x8 45 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x8 45 kg

Thrusday 17th August

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 2×5 GS ; 2×7 bridges ; 1×5 halos

Practice:

Friday 18th August

I am a bit scared of the high reps of the program the first weeks (15 reps in a row :eek:), so this day I did 11 reps instead of 8, to see how they feel. So far, so good.

Zercher squat: 3x11 40 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x11 40 kg

Leg extensions: 3x11 40 kg.

Saturday 19th August

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 2×5 GS ; 2×7 bridges ; 1×5 halos

Practice:

Doing 5 sets is starting to feel light, and recovery very easy. I was planning on increasing next week, but next week I will start with the proper tendonosis recovery program, so maybe I´ll see how that goes and increase the other week.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom