all posts post new thread

Simple path

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sunday 20th August

War up: Goblet squat: 1x7, 7 bridges, 10 swings and a few snatches just for fun.

Zercher squat: 3x15 35 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x15 35 kg

Leg extensions: 3x15 40 kg.

Monday 21st August

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 1×5 GS ; 1×7 bridges ;

Practice:

Decided to take a light day
- 4 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg. Time by feel
- 4 x 5 military press. 14 kg

Last edited:
Tuesday 22nd August

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 1×5 GS ; 1×7 bridges ;

Practice:

- 6 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg. Time by feel
- 4 x 5 military press + 1 windmill each time. 14 kg

Wednesday 23rd August

First day of the recovery routine, after 3 weeks of preparation. I was feeling a bit tired after many days in a row, so decided to go light. I didn't want to mess with the zerchers since they are the core of the program IMO, and reducing on the knee extensions doesn't make a difference. So I reduced volume and weight on the smith. I wasn't happy about having to go light the day I start a program... but well, it is what it is and I rather get the job done.

Warmup 1x7 goblets

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x15 35 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x12 30 kg

Leg extensions: 3x15 35 kg.

Last edited:
Friday 25th August

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 2×5 GS ; 2×7 bridges ; 1x5 halos

Practice:

- 5 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg. Time by feel
- 4 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg
- 2x5 Military presses. 14 kg

First time trying the TGU to squat. Felt ok, but quite challenging. That move probably works wonders for mobility. I´ll continue with it I think.

Saturday 26th August

Second day of the routine. I did all the moves with a timer to make sure Im descending in 3 secs and ascending in 3 secs. It was significantly more challenging this way, I reduced the weights a bit to keep good form. Each set more than 2 minutes... It felt nice on the knee anyway. I´ll continue using the timer.

Warmup:
1x7 goblets; 2x10 swings, 2x4 military presses

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x15 30 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x15 30 kg

Sunday 27th August

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

- 5 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg. Time by feel
- 2x5 Military presses. 14 kg

Tuesday 29th August

Warmup:
1x7 goblets;

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x15 30 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x15 30 kg

First week of the recovery routine completed. Quite happy the squatting marathons that lasted more than 2 minutes are in the past. From now on the volume will be more reasonable, and the load should as well.

Wednesday 30th August

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

- 2x3 Military presses+ 2 windmills. 14 kg

Saturday 2nd sept

Warmup:
1x7 goblets;

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x12 35 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x12 30 kg

Leg extensions: 3x12 40 kg.

Started the 2nd week of the recovery program, doing sets of 12. Felt nice, I didn't enjoy much the sets of 15. Recovery has been ok.

Sunday 3Rd sept

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg. OTM
- 8 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

Swings are feeling really easy. No issue at all doing them otm.

Honing the TGU to squat technique. Today I tried a version without swipe, where you go straight forward to the squat. The previous version that had a swipe felt a lot better, but I still have to practice both techniques.

Tomorrow going to Cartagena, Colombia for work for 8 days. I don't know how I'll manage with training. Ill try to find a gym, or end up doing single leg deadlifts. Lovely destination anyways ☺

Monday 4th Sept - Saturday 16th Sept

The 8 days at lovely Cartagena turned to out to be 12 days... and the wife who was pissed off turned out to be really pissed off. But well, a man has to make a living. During these 12 days I came up with a routine I really enjoyed:

- Day 1: 4 sets of:

15 bodyweight squats,
10 prisoner squats,
6 SLDL weighted with my luggage + some water bottles.
Push ups until they slow down (in my case was about 8, my pushups suck these days).
Optional: hip bridges, any variation.

-Day 2
3 sets of
15 BW bodyweight squats
10 prisoner squats
Some push ups, less than Day 1.

Repeat every day alternating days 1 and 2. I only took 1 day off of the 12 days.

Thanks @offwidth for the idea of the prisoner squats. I took it from your log. I really enjoyed these, it takes a lot of tension and focus to keep the chest up and not fall on your butt.

I really enjoyed this routine, it was short, easy and it gave me a lot of energy. If I was tired from work, I actually used it to wake me up in the evening before going for a walk and some food and beer. The squats kept the blood flowing, SLDL hit the glutes and hamstrings, push ups for upper body push and full body tension, prisoners for core.

After this sucessfull routine I'm thinking on doing a few bodyweight squats and pushups every morning to wake up.

Sunday 17th Sept

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

- 6 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

The mobility for goblet squats and for TGU to squat felt very easy, so it appears that the bodyweight squats and prisoners were useful.

Tuesday 19th September

I went back to the tendonosis recovery routine after the trip. Since it was my first day after 2 weeks, I only did 2 sets instead of 3, just to wake up the body. Everything went fine.

Warm up: 1x7 goblet squats

Practice:

Zercher squat: 2x12 35 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 2x12 35 kg

Leg extensions: 2x12 40 kg.

Wednesday 20th Sept

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

Thursday 21th September

Back to the full tendonosis recovery routine. Everything fine.

Warm up: 1x7 goblet squats. Some snatches for fun

Practice:

Smith machine leg press: 3x12 35 kg

Leg extensions: 3x12 40 kg

What have your experiences been like on the tendonosis recovery routine? Has it helped yet? Did you notice a difference when you took a longer break from the routine?

Hi @Antti, thanks for asking, I´ve been doing a lot better luckily. I have started the routine about 6 weeks ago (between preparation phase, the routine itself and the long break due to travel). The routine is of 12 weeks and I´m only at week two, so still a long road to go. But feeling a lot better already.

About the long break, the pain is significantly lower after this break than before. During the first days of the break I felt some pain in the tendon, probably becaused of quad tightness, due to the 4 weeks I had been doing the routine and preparation routine. During the break I focused on SLDL and bodyweight squats, and by the time the trip ended, the pain was gone.

It turns out that another very good protocol for tendinopathy consists in high-rep, slow eccentric exercises. So during the break I might have been doing a recovery routine as well (kind of, I didnt do slow eccentric).

In any case, I´m doing a lot better. I´ve also learned that high rep bodyweight squats are extremely useful. They seem to help maintain strength, improve mobility, conditioning, etc. I´m thinking on doing one set of bodyweight squats and pushups in the morning for waking up.

I also found the prisoner squat to be extremely valuable (is a bodyweight squat with your hands grabbed behind your head). You cant let yourself fall as in a bodyweight squat, you have to forcefully pull yourself down with a lot of tension in the core, hip flexors and ankle flexors (dont know the name of these ones). It kind of felt like the tension for a back squat.

Now I´ll focus in completing the 12 week routine, and hopefully be free of any pain by then. Not sure what I will do afterwards, maybe going back to full S&S. I might keep some loaded squatting in the program though, my knees get pissed off when I dont squat.

Friday 22th Sept

Warm up, with 14 kg:

Practice:

Sunday 24th Sept

Didn't have much time, so I did a short session to tic the box. Glad I did it

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 1×7 GS ;

Practice:

- 2 x 20 1HS . 14 Kg.

Monday 25th September

Tendonosis recovery routine. My knee is feeling amazing. No pain whatsoever. Last day of 12 reps, happy that I'll be able to load the bar a bit more.

Warm up: 1x7 goblet squats. Some snatches for fun

Practice:

Smith machine leg press: 3x12 35 kg

Leg extensions: 3x12 40 kg

Wednesday 27th sept

Travelling for work. I found a barbell and some plates, so I did some zerchers

1x12 30 kg

4x6 50 kg slow speed.

Enjoyed loading the bar a bit more than usual. Minimal soreness the next day, but a bit stiff in general. The knee felt great. Nice session.

Friday 29th sept

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 1×7 GS ;

Practice:

- 7x10 1HS . 14 Kg.

Difficult week for training. Couldn't train every day as I like. But at least I kept going

Monday 02 Oct

Back on track after an awful weekend. 48 hours in a row that I couldn't find 20 min to do some swings at least. Anyway, with some headache and a lot of will power, back on track at 10 pm. Started with the first day of 10 reps, felt great.

Warm up, with 14 kg:
- 1x25 BW squats including some prisoners ;

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x10 40 kg.

Smith machine leg press: 3x10 40 kg

Leg extensions: 3x10 45 kg

Tuesday 3rd Oct

S&S routine, warm up and swings in the morning TGU in the evening. The TGU are feeling extremely light.

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 6 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.

Wednesday 4th Oct

Practice:

Back squat: 3x10 40 kg

Did back squats power cleaning and pressing from the floor instead of that awful smith machine. Felt amazing. It was very light for back squat, but anyway I prefer this over the smith machine. I'll see how my knee feels in order to replace the smith machine for good. I don't want to screw up a program that is working so well.

Thursday 5th Oct

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.

No time for the TGU. Glad I could fit those swings before going for a trip to Uruguay though

Monday 9th Oct

Practice:

Back squat: 3x10 40 kg

Back squats again instead of the smith machine. They feel great. Some soreness in the hamstrings the next day, but not much.

Tuesday 10th Oct

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.
- 6 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg - 2x1 TGU to squat, 22 Kg dumbbell.

Found a 22 kg dumbell and decided to try it for the TGU to squat. The right side went fine, challenging but fine. The left side I failed the first rep, but was able to do the 2nd try. The transition to squat is a bit challenging for shoulder mobility, specially with a dumbbell, which requires a more vertical arm. With a regular TGU I think I can do it no problem with a 24 Kg KB. so Im gonna buy one soon.

Friday 13th Oct

Practice:

Smith machine: 3x10 40 kg

Back squats were making my hamstrings quite sore. So I will slowly transition from the smith machine to the back squat, replacing smith by back squat once or twice a week.

Saturday 14th Oct

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats.
1x7 bridges
1x7 bridges with 40 kg barbell
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 6 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.

Did 1 set of bridges of the warmup with 40 kg barbell. Felt great. Maybe I´ll do these here and there

@masa they were two legged, similar to the typical SF bridge but with the bar over the hips.

I have done a few one legged bridges loaded with a bar, but they feel a bit unstable and therefore prevent developing good force and good movement pattern. I personally prefer 1-legged with no weight,or 2-legged with a barbell. What has been your experience? If I recall correctly you were doing one legged bridges as recovery for your back

@masa they were two legged, similar to the typical SF bridge but with the bar over the hips.

I have done a few one legged bridges loaded with a bar, but they feel a bit unstable and therefore prevent developing good force and good movement pattern. I personally prefer 1-legged with no weight,or 2-legged with a barbell. What has been your experience? If I recall correctly you were doing one legged bridges as recovery for your back
Thanks for your elborated answer. Yes, I did and still sometimes do one-legged bridges as a rehab. It helped a lot. I like unilateral movements a lot. They're effective even @ bodyweight.:)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom