all posts post new thread

Simple path

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thanks for your elborated answer. Yes, I did and still sometimes do one-legged bridges as a rehab. It helped a lot. I like unilateral movements a lot. They're effective even @ bodyweight.:)

Yeah bodyweight one legged bridges are great. Is your back feeling better?

Yeah bodyweight one legged bridges are great. Is your back feeling better?
Thanks for asking. Yes, my back is a lot better than in years *knock wood*. It's still stiff sometimes, mostly in the morning. Hip bridges and goblets help a lot. I don't have pain often anymore, even that there's permanent damage. Seems like kettlebell practicing does wonders. I have to be careful with swings and technique overall. Still have some weight to lose, which is going to help my back symptoms more I hope.

How's your knee?

Thanks for asking. Yes, my back is a lot better than in years *knock wood*. It's still stiff sometimes, mostly in the morning. Hip bridges and goblets help a lot. I don't have pain often anymore, even that there's permanent damage. Seems like kettlebell practicing does wonders. I have to be careful with swings and technique overall. Still have some weight to lose, which is going to help my back symptoms more I hope.

How's your knee?

My knee is doing great. Almost no pain at all. I haven't tested it yet with any hard activity as football, but I think by the time I finish the program I'll be able to play.

Sounds like your back is doing quite good as well. We have to keep at it!

Oscar, how much have you played football? Are you a big fan of the sport in general?

I played some as a kid but quit pretty early. I really liked it, though, and I think I could have been OK if I had had the mindset to train and exercise more. Later on in life I have resigned to only watch it on the TV regularly. Football is murder on the joints and has one of the greatest injury risks in all sports. I don't see myself playing it anymore.

Hi @Antti , I have been playing football my whole life, I'm 34 now. I'm a great fan of playing it, but lately not so much of watching it. Here in Argentina football is a great passion like no other. Is by far the most popular sport. With some friends we have a team of football 7 by side, we play almost every Saturday. It's also a great excuse to see the friends frequently.

It's a great sport when you are a kid, as you did, when everybody is light and supple. Then, after we turn 25, injuries start to appear. But well, we have to die of something, right?

Tuesday 17th Oct

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x10 40 kg.

Back squat : 3x10 40 kg

Leg extensions: 3x10 45 kg

Wednesday 18th Oct

Warm up:
1x7 goblet squats.
1x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 6 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.
- 6 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

Woke up at 5 am, 1 hour earlier, in order to fit the practice before a work trip. Quite happy about this ☺

Saturday 21st Oct

First day kiteboarding since my little girl was born :). It was an awful day for kiteboarding, but I decided to go in anyway. I was the only guy in the water. Lots of fun anyway, I really missed it!

I also noted that this combo of squats+ S&S is working great for me. I think I´ll come up with a similar routine after I finish the tendinosis routine.

Sunday 22nd Oct

Warm up:
2x7 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.
- 9 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

Monday 23rd Oct

Practice:

Leg extensions: 1x10 45 kg - 2x10 50 Kg . For this final set I increased the weight, as it was feeling too light.

Lately I have been doing the S&S the day after the squat day. This time I´m trying the other way around, as I was not recovering that well. Maybe the hypertrophy aspect of the squats requires a rest day afterwards. Since Im doing back squats instead of the smith machine my hammies are working a lot more. I´ll have to see how it goes this time, Im confident it will go better.

Recovery after the last sessions has been a lot better. No soreness whatsoever in the hamstrings. Doing S&S the day before squats seems to work well.

Tuesday 25th Oct

Warm up:
2x7 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges with 30 kg barbell.
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.
- 6 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg - - 2 x 1 TGU to squat 22 kg dumbell.

I uploaded to youtube my two TGU-squat with the 22 kg dumbbell. I´m a bit worried I might become the new Jen Selter now, but what can I do.

I think they look decent. The transition from sitting to squatting is a bit tricky, and I´m concerned I might be rounding and moving my lower back, which is not cool. A normal TGU would be a lot easier. Also, any kind of TGU with a KB would be easier than a DB, in particular this variation, that requires the arm to be too vertical with the DB. If anyone sees these TGU, I would appreciate your comments!

I think squat get-ups look fine. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a bit more time between the moves, especially after getting into the squat and down or up.

I'm a bit envious about the weather. It's just started to stay below freezing around here. Even if I don't feel the cold itself, it can be an inconvenience otherwise.

@Antti thanks for your feedback. I agree, I could do longer pauses at each stage.

The weather this time of the year is great here. Lots of sun, not so warm, not so humid. I just checked and Finland is near 65° latitude... Thats too cold indeed!

Really nice get-ups with the squat! I like that.

Wednesday 26th Oct

Practice:

This was my last day of 10 reps. Moving on.

Friday 28th Oct

Warm up:
2x7 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.
- 8 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

Saturday 28th - Tuesday 31st Oct

Work trip to Uruguay to a sunken en tugboat. Took the chance to bring the ladies. Great time.

Wednesday 1st Nov.

Warm up:
2x7 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 6 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.
- 1x10 2HS 25 kg.
- 2x5 1hs 25 kg

- 6 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

Bought a 25 kg. Felt heavy at first, but then more manageable. Look forward to start using it slowly. Unfortunately the distance from the bell to the handle is too short and it destroys my wrists for TGU. So I'll try to return it and buy a proper one.

Thursday 2nd nov

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x8 45 kg.

Back squat : 3x8 45 kg

Knee extensions: 3×8 55 kg

Saturday 4th Nov.

Warm up:
2x7 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges

Practice:

- 10 x 10 1HS . 14 Kg.

- 10 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

- 8x5 snatches 14 kg. Just for fun

Sunday 5th Nov

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x8 45 kg.

Back squat : 3x8 45 kg

Knee extensions: 3×8 55 kg

Thursday 9th Nov.

Warm up:
2x7 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 4 x 10 2HS . 25 Kg.
- 4x5 1HS 25 kg.

- 8 x1 TGU to squat. 14 kg

Friday 10th Nov

Practice:

Zercher squat: 3x8 50 kg.

Back squat : 2x8 50kg

Saturday 11th Nov.

Practice:

- 4 x 10 2HS . 25 Kg.
- 4x5 1HS 25 kg.

- 2 x1 TGU to squat. 20 kg Dumbbel

Tuesday 14th Nov.

I attached two plates of 2.5 kg with ropes to my 14 kg kettlebell to make it 19 kg. Now its a lot more fun. Had to return the 25 kg I bought as the handle was too close to the bell. I´ll try to find a proper one. The home-made 19 kg is working great though.

Practice:

- 4 x 10 2HS . 19 Kg.
- 4x5 1HS 19 kg.

- 6 x1 TGU to squat. 19 kg

Wednesday 13th Nov

Decided to take a light day as I was feeling some pain in the knee.

Practice:

Back squat : 3x8 45kg smith back squat

Knee extensions: 3x8 55 kg

Thursday 16th Nov.

Practice:

- 4 x 10 2HS . 19 Kg.
- 4x5 1HS 19 kg.

Last edited:
Friday 17 Nov

Some snatches with 19 kg. First time with this weight. Only for fun and practice.

Saturday 18th Nov

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats.
2x7 bridges (one of the sets with the KB over my hips. I like how the weight feels for the exercise)
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS . 19 Kg.
- 8 x1 TGU to squat. 19 kg

Sunday 19th Nov

Warm up:
2x1 goblet squats, staying very long at the bottom.
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 4 x 10 1HS . 19 Kg.
- 4x10 2 hs. 19 kg

Instead of 3x5 goblet squats, I did 2x1 staying very long at the bottom. Out of chance, I came across Ido Portal 30/30 Squat challenge (30 mins for 30 consecutive days). I don't know if I'll do the challenge, but I did spend about 30 min in the deep squat position. It felt great. My hips, my feet and my calves felt amazingly loose. I don't know if I'll do the challenge, but I will start spending some time in the deep squat a day for sure.

I was a tiny bit sore these two days, out of working with the 19 all of a sudden. Nothing significant though. I don't plan on dismantling the home made 5 Kg increase, so I'll just wave the volume a bit an mix 2 HS with 1 HS.

That's a nice and interesting challenge you posted about. I definitely should spend some more time in the squat position without a weight. I play with it a bit, but I haven't really created a habit out of it. Maybe I'll be reminded to do it more from now on.

@Antti indeed, I think it's a good challenge. The final goal is to be completely comfortable: "get to the deep squat to rest from the standing position, not the other way around" (paraphrasing ). Maybe it can help you with the discussion in your log with @Geoff Chafe about mobility

Tuesday 21th Nov

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats
2x7 bridges
1x5+5 halos

Practice:

- 4 x 10 1HS . 19 Kg.
- 4x10 2 hs. 19 kg

Thursday 23th Nov

(Some barbell ankle stretches in between sets)

Back squat : 3x8 50kg smith back squat

Knee extensions: 3x8 55 kg

I tried again the barbell ankle stretch following the discussion with @Antti and @Geoff Chafe. My feet and calves felt awesome afterwards. I didnt notice much for the hips, but maybe I have to play around with the position a bit more. I have a few doubts I'd appreciate Antti´s and Geoff´s feedback please:

• It appears that the exercise works better with elevated heels, for instance weightlifting shoes. I dont have weightlifting shoes, so I have been elevating my heels about 1.5 cm. Seems to work ok.
  • The bar on the knees/quads is a bit painful. Maybe it takes some getting used to.
  • I have noted from some videos from youtube that the guys manage to keep the femur almost parallel to the floor. This is not my case, my butt is sinking deeper than parallel. I have just noticed thatb weightlifting shoes have a heel drop of 19 mm, so maybe I should use a higher suplement under my heels. Also, weightlifters probably have more meat in the back of their legs, so they dont sink as much.
  • upload_2017-11-24_10-59-43.png
  • Im using 50 kg, which seems to be ok. Confortable,but puts a good stretch.
All in all, it worked fine and was a good stretch for the feet and calves. After doing the stretch I did a barefoot squat and was able to sit there quite confortably.

I have also been doing some minutes a day of sitting in the squat. This has been working fine as well. Not sure I will do the 30 min/30 day squat challenge, but so far I´m happy with the results. I hope I manage to be able to rest in the squat position eventually.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom