all posts post new thread

Simple path

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Maybe the reasonable effective dose for tendinosis rehab isn't anything that big that it would hurt your S&S progress. Maybe you should give something a try, like the squats.

Maybe the reasonable effective dose for tendinosis rehab isn't anything that big that it would hurt your S&S progress. Maybe you should give something a try, like the squats.

Yeah, this is what I think. Maybe the full routine but only once a week, or some kind of squats 3 days a week, or a mix.

I think that the biggest problem I have is that I´m not sure of the results I´m getting from any of the alternatives. Therefore, I just dont know what works and what doesnt. I should go back to my log, to see how effective was the tendinosis routine, and also keep a more detailed log regarding tendon pain from now on.

Thanks Antti for bringing this up

Wednesday 3rd Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 19kg
2x7 bridges
1x 5+5 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 6x10 1HS. 19Kg
- 2 x (5+5) 1HS. 24Kg
Workload: 67.5

- 2x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 4x 1 Get down-squat. 24Kg.
Workload: 6.8

Last edited:
Thursday 4th Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 19kg
2x7 bridges
2x 5+5 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS. 19Kg
- 1 x (5+5) 1HS. 19Kg
Workload: 70

- 8x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
Workload: 8

Something interesting happened with the swings. I guess its what @Steve W. calls "Happy Accidents". I tried to sit more back into the back swing, and to do a more progressive upswing, in order to finish the swing powerfully. My arm felt tense, propelling the KB a longer time throughout the pendulum, whereas before I mostly felt the tension in the arm at the bottom of the swing. It felt good, and the KB flew forward more fluently. I´ll try to replicate it and film it.

The first TGUs felt very easy, as easy as the 19 kg were feeling a while back. The subsequent TGU were a bir harder, but still quite easy. I think that looking at the KB during the squat and also practicing the Get-downs is helping.

Skipped breakfast, first meal of the day was lunch at 2 pm. A timid approach to IF.

Kiteboarding in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Friday 5th Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 19kg
2x7 bridges
2x 5+5 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 8 x 10 1HS. 19Kg
- 1 x (5+5) 1HS. 19Kg
Workload: 70

- 6x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 2x1 Get-down squat. 24 kg
Workload: 8.4

Today my glutes felt a bit sore, not sure why. Maybe it was the kiteboarding, or that I didnt eat after practice? I was thinking on a light day, but then I did a full session.

Again, fasted until lunch.

Saturday 6th Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 19kg
2x7 bridges
2x 5+5 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 6 x 10 1HS. 19Kg
- 3 x (4+4) 1HS. 24Kg
Workload: 79.5

- 4x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 2x1 Get-down squat. 24 kg
- 2x1 Get-down squat. 19 kg
Workload: 7.9

Fasted till lunch.

Weight: 71.5 kg
Waist: 81.5 cm
Hip: 92 cm.
Waist to hip ratio: 0.88. First time below 0.9 since I started training last year.

GET DOWNS from today:

Sunday 7th Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 10 x 10 2HS. 24 Kg
Workload: 60

- 2x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 2x 1 Get-down squat. 24 kg
Workload: 4.4

Fasted till lunch

Last edited:
Monday 8th Jan

Warm up:
1x5 goblet squats 24kg
1x7 bridges
1 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 2 x 10 1HS. 24 Kg
- 2x (5+5) 1HS. 24 kg
- 4x (4+4) 1HS. 24 kg
Workload: 72

- 6x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
Workload: 8.4

Fasted till lunch.

I did 2 floor presses for each TGU (adding one at the end), since the floor press is not so easy with the 24. I´ll start adding this alternative every now and then.

Last edited:
A brief recap of how the cunning plan is turning out. Below the graphs for swings and TGU workload. I have included in orange the total weekly workload divided by five (to compare with a typical 5/week practice), and in gray is the average workload for the week. So, if orange is higher than gray, it means I did more than 5 sessions. If gray is higher, it means I did more less than 5 sessions.

upload_2018-1-8_10-41-44.png upload_2018-1-8_10-43-0.png

The plan seems to be going fine. Both lines are going up.

I decided to start progressing this way on 7th December, so the first full week that applies is the one completed on 16th December. My initial goal was to increase the workload in 3 units per week (for swings), and 0.3 per week for TGU. This is what I notice for swings:

• Average workload increased from 66.3 to 70.4 in 3 weeks, for a very modest increase of 1.3 per week. Half what I expected.
  • The increase of the workoad/5 was form 53.0 to 84.5. This is a lot, 60% increase of weekly workload in 3 weeks, meaning I have been training many days per week. Average increase per week is of 10.0, 3 times more what I expected.

Apparently, I have been sacrificing daily intensity for frequency. To be honest, when I started the cunning plan I didnt consider which of the variables I would be tracking. The good thing is that both are increasing, so I´m going to sit and watch what happens with both in the following weeks. Time will tell.

For TGU, both variables have increased significantly, way more than what I expected. Suddenly TGU with 24 are feeling fairly easy, so I´m doing a lot of them. I think this rate of increase will stall now, I´ll have to see.

My only concern is that my weekly workload has tripled for TGU and increased about 60% for swings in about 3 weeks. That is a lot, so I´ll keep my eyes open for signs of overtraining.

Tuesday 9th Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 19kg
2x7 bridges
1 5+5 halos 19 kg

Practice:

- 8x (4+4) 1HS. 24 kg
Workload: 64

- 4x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
Workload: 6.4

Decided to take a light-ish day, since hopefully I´ll be windy and I´ll go kiteboarding in the afternoon.

I felt some pain in the forward part of the hips during goblet squats, and also squat mobility during TGU-squat was a bit difficult. Not sure what it is. Maybe my hip flexors are tired?

Edit: yes, kiteboarding in the afternoon:)

Last edited:
Wednesday 10th Jan

My back was a bit tight today on the right side, some kind of knot in the erector spinae (if that is the right name). Also, my hips are still bothering when I squat. I started with some KB DL and then 2HS to see if I could swing with no pain, and I could. So I did swings. Skipped the TGU to see if I feel better of both aches tomorrow.

Warm up:
1x5 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1X 10 KB DL 24 kg

Practice:

- 2x 10 2HS 24 kg
- 8x (4+4) 1HS. 24 kg
Workload: 76

No fast today, after an active day yesterday and with a few aches I figured better to eat after training

Last edited:
Thursday 11th Jan

Warm up:
3x5 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8x (4+4) 1HS. 24 kg
- 1x (5+5) 1HS. 24 kg
Workload: 74

- 6x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 4x 1 Get-down squat. 24 kg
Workload: 10.8

My squat was not good again today. Some pain at the forward part of the hips again, that went away with sets.

I've been a bit lazy about practice these days, but at least I managed to show up and punch the clock.

Maybe kiteboarding in the afternoon again

I just noticed my knee has been feeling awesome for the last days. I wonder why... I don't recall doing anything in particular. Great news though! I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing, whatever that might be

Fast till lunch

Last edited:
If your hip pain goes away with squats, it sounds like you better squat.

I often get little aches here and there while training, especially when I'm training a new movement. I've found that continuing the training as usual is the best way to get the aches go away. But one has to, naturally, be careful with 1RM PRs in new exercises or if there's some kind of long term nagging going on.

Nice to hear that your knee is feeling better!

If your hip pain goes away with squats, it sounds like you better squat.

I often get little aches here and there while training, especially when I'm training a new movement. I've found that continuing the training as usual is the best way to get the aches go away. But one has to, naturally, be careful with 1RM PRs in new exercises or if there's some kind of long term nagging going on.

Nice to hear that your knee is feeling better!

Indeed, I´ll keep squatting and monitoring what happens. Is not too serious at the moment, but is an exercise I have done a million reps this year (goblet squats and TGU-squat), so its not a new move. Maybe my hip flexors are a bit tired, not sure. I´ll keep an eye on it so that it doesnt go out of control, but I think most likely it´ll go away.

About the knee, thanks! I´m really happy with it an looking forward to the pain not coming back. This is how one day you get cured of this nagging injuries: you get distracted for a few days and dont feel pain, then suddenly you remember the knee used to bother, and the pain doesnt come back. The less you think about it, the better.

Friday 12th Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 8x (5+5) 1HS. 24 kg
Workload: 80

- 6x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
Workload: 6

Saturday 13th Jan

Warm up:
2x5 goblet squats 24kg
2x7 bridges
1 5+5 halos 24 kg

Practice:

- 1x (5+5) 1HS. 24 kg
-8 × (4+4) 1HS 24 kg
Workload: 74

- 4x 1 TGU-squat. 24Kg.
- 2x1 get down- squat 24 kg
Workload: 6.4

On vacations since Saturday 13th Jan. I'm at Punta del Este, a nice beach place in Uruguay, and I brought my 24 KB with me, so I'll keep the practice as much as I can. So far so good, only day off was Sunday because of travelling. Then I did 80 swings on Monday and 80 swings and 8 TGU on Tuesday. I'll keep a reduced log this days, if any, as Internet time is low. But I'll keep swinging the KB.

A few pictures of the place for you guys across the world:
jose-ignacio-beach-uruguay.jpg jose-ignacio-entre-17-lugares-viajar-antes-lleguen-famosos-recomienda-huffington-post.jpg 599331aa59b10_blog.jpg
So summarizing:

Saturday 13: 80 swings 8 TGU

Monday 15: 80 swings

Tuesday 16: 80 swings 8 TGU

Thursday 18: 100 swings, 10 TGU

Friday 19: 6x3 snatches with 24 kg, for fun and to learn the movement. 6 get downs, from the top of the last snatch.

Saturday 20: 10x10 1HS, 10 TGU. Done at the beach, not easy to balance over sand. I also was lucky enough to witness the first ever 3x BW KB DL:

20180120_094205.jpg

She locked her hips and knees right after the photo, so I give her 3 white lights.

Saturday 27th Jan

Back at home after two great weeks. My baby had a great time, my wife was happy about it, and I got to windsurf with my brother, so it was awesome.

I was amazed on how my training had carry over to windsurfing, which is extremely demanding. My shape was so good for windsurfing that I decided to leave my 24 kg KB as a gift to my brother, since heavy KB are not easy to find in Uruguay. Back to my Frankenstein 19 Kg KB for a few days for me.

During my vacation I'm not sure how much I did as I didn't keep a log. I just did a few complete sessions of s&s with the 24.

Warm up:
-3x5 goblet 19 kg
- 3x5 bridges
(No halos due to bíceps soreness)

Practice:
-10x10 1HS 19 kg. OTM.
- 2x2 TGU-squat 19 kg.
- 2x2 Get Down-squat 19 kg.
- 1×2 TGU-squat 19 kg.

Nice session in spite of the light weight. Now I'll have to find where to buy a decent 24 and 32.

Sunday 29th Jan

Warm up:
-3x5 goblet 19 kg
- 3x5 bridges

Practice:
-8x10 1HS 19 kg. OTM.

- 8x1 TGU-squat 19 kg. OTM

Kiteboarding in the afternoon

Monday 29th Jan

Kiteboarding

Tuesday 30th Jan

Warm up:
-3x5 goblet 19 kg
- 3x5 bridges

- 10x10 1HS 19 kg. OTM.

- 10x1 TGU-squat 19 kg. OTM

Wednesday 31st Jan

Warm up:
-3x10 BW squats
- 3x5 bridges

- 10x10 1HS 19 kg.

- 10x1 TGU-squat 19 kg leg sweep variation

I've taking the opportunity of not having heavier KB to try my first attempts at the TGU-squat leg sweep variation. They are quite demanding mobility wise, but a lot of fun. I'm quite happy with the attempts. Have to work on the positioning of the foot before the bottom of the squat. Will try a few get downs to see if they help.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom