all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple Sinister + Aerobic training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
What are the pros and cons of adding some low intensity aerobic training immediately after a Simple & Sinister routine? Such using HR zones, Maffetone equations, or the talk test to keep it at Zone 2.

As long as you don’t overdo it and it fits your schedule I’m not sure I see any cons. Keep the goal the goal, whatever that might be for you, but I suspect that supplementing S&S with some low intensity cardio will be a positive thing in terms of recovery both during the S&S sessions as well as from day to day.

What are the pros and cons of adding some low intensity aerobic training immediately after a Simple & Sinister routine? Such using HR zones, Maffetone equations, or the talk test to keep it at Zone 2.
I would say the pros are all of the pros of low intensity steady state training. I don't think there's much in the way of cons, but if I really think about it, you are looking at:

1. A longer session - this starts to matter more if you have a tight schedule, or as your runs get longer.
2. Your aerobic activity is going to be maybe a little slower. I don't think this is a con per se, but it is something to be aware of if you are tracking improvements - your increased run fitness might be masked by the fatigue from your S&S work, especially if you are comparing your run to a previous run that was done after lighter kettlebell work. (You do a session with a 24kg, then run 3 miles vs. you do a kettlebell session with a 32kg and then run 3 miles - run improvements might be "hidden.")
3. Your aerobic activity might feel harder because you're more tired (perceived effort is higher than if you had done the exact same run without having sone S&S first). Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it goes hand in hand with #2 above regarding "fatigue masking fitness."

#2 and #3 can be "solved" by setting aside a day once a month or so and doing your aerobic activity fresh after an off day. This'll give you a chance to compare being fresh to being fresh and see if you're still improving. This isn't really necessary if you are including it as healthy activity, but it might be helpful to assess progress.

What activity are you thinking about including? What are your goals with including it?

I would say more pros than cons. If it's a good way to get your desired training in, go for it.

I took some notes during Pavel and Fabio's Programming Improv. Hopefully I did not get them wrong, but here is what I have. This covers more than what you asked, but I thought it was super useful:
  • If training for both strength and endurance, the more you space them out, the better. If they are too close, gains will be compromised (especially strength).
  • Slightly different guidelines for hypertrophy vs. strength.
    • Heavy low rep work (for strength), you must come in totally fresh. What happens after is less important.
    • Hypertrophy work, it's OK if you come in fatigued -- but AFTERWARDS, you should avoid any serious endurance training. A jog around the block is fine.
  • Low volume of med-high intensity actually facilitates the next day’s load. You will be stronger the day after an energizing session. In one example protocol that was discussed, subject was stronger on Tuesday than Monday.
    • Similarly, when volume not too high, lower body session facilitates upper body the next day.
So, where would I put S&S relative to those notes -- maybe that it's ever-so-slightly better to space out your S&S session from your aerobic session, but I wouldn't say S&S is purely strength or hypertrophy work, so I wouldn't worry too much about it either way.

Then the main thing becomes your recovery. If your aerobic work really is MAF-ish, zone 2-ish, that shouldn't be an issue.

Like the others have said, should be no issues. But ease into it the first few times and see how it goes…

It is never a bad idea to do some low intensity aerobic work. Strong correlation of CV fitness with health

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom