all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple & Sinister, Amazon, and bits and pieces

• Thread starter Deleted member 6651
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
"Have you lifted yet, are you doing anything yet? Your still chasing brands, you could of gotten anything and been stronger by now instead of worrying about what equipment brand to buy"
That was me. Feels good training doesn’t it. Doesn’t matter what you do mate, as long as you’re doing something. Big thumbs up from me.

We could have a long conversation about that. Speaking from my own perspective, I have goals, and I enjoy achieving them more than I care about whether or not I enjoy my current programming.

I think goal setting can be an important addition to the way many people train, because the training is no longer about just "staying in shape," it's about meeting the SFG-I standards, or ROP press standard, or Simple, or your first PL meet, or that double-bodyweight deadlift. For me, it's about getting better. Perhaps it comes from my career in music - having mostly taught, I am now performing more than ever, and I want to be better at it. (And I want to always be a better teacher, too, and always have.) The same goes for my lifting - I want to accomplish things I cannot yet do, and that's what drives my training: what training will get me from where I am to where I want to be?

JMO, YMMV.

-S-
My goals - avoid heart disease, cancer, fatigue etc; be healthy in other words. Be athletic - a noble goal in and of itself; defeat people at combat sports; look good - another noble goal, this time aesthetic.

That was me. Feels good training doesn’t it. Doesn’t matter what you do mate, as long as you’re doing something. Big thumbs up from me.

Thanks DC. I also like what I bought. In fact, I'm happy enough with it that I am happy to buy extra things from the same cheap place and not even worry about Rogue.

Cast iron is cast iron and yeah, all that matters is the size going on the bar, the rest sorts itself out lol

Thanks DC. I also like what I bought. In fact, I'm happy enough with it that I am happy to buy extra things from the same cheap place and not even worry about Rogue.

Cast iron is cast iron and yeah, all that matters is the size going on the bar, the rest sorts itself out lol
I prepared my MA thesis long ago under "The Strongest Academic In The World" - Dr. Nigel Crowther. He had an entire heavy lifting gym in his basement, which I got to see once. He truly lived the ancient ideal of "a healthy mind in a health body". If you got all that stuff, I've seen it put to good use before by good people!

@Kozushi, that's someone I'd like to know more about. I share at least some of these traits - I'm a former college professor and I have a full-featured gym in my basement.

-S-

What equipment did you end up getting?

I am about ready to pull the trigger on the $200 300lb barbell set from d@#$'s and either the squat rack from d@#$'s or the $250 power rack Amazon sells. My plan is to incorporate Deadlifts and presses with Simple and Sinister like the Even Easier Strength paper or work on the Starting Strength plan with 2 days of S&S when I get a squat rack. Either way, I'm giving S&S a solid 6 or 8 weeks by itself to gauge progress.

I have my eye on that same barbell set, but the reviews indicate the plates aren't regulation size for deadlifts...

@Kozushi, that's someone I'd like to know more about. I share at least some of these traits - I'm a former college professor and I have a full-featured gym in my basement.

-S-
I did an MA and currently teach French Immersion and Classical languages at a high school in Ontario. Not college level teaching, but I didn't want to leave my hometown, so it wasn't practical to go for the PhD.

Dr. Nigel Crowther is amazing. He still runs a course once a year at Olympia, Greece. He was instrumental in helping me figure out what the rules for Ancient Greek Wrestling were based on primary source documents. He has been in TV shows about ancient sports. He stopped deadlifting for a while and yet can pick up 550lbs anytime, anywhere.

I have my eye on that same barbell set, but the reviews indicate the plates aren't regulation size for deadlifts...
It's the set I got and they are indeed slightly smaller. As it is my first bar set, it means my training thus far has been all at a slight deficit. The only other time I've used standard diameter plates was at a TSC, and between the adrenaline/atmosphere and the slight difference in height, it felt easier to pull the same weight. In other words, I'm not particularly concerned about it myself; it probably doesn't make much of a difference until I'm training with well over 300lbs. of weight, at which time the bar I have would probably snap so I'd upgrade by then anyway. A set of standard size 45lb plates is on my list, but farther down the list than a 28kg kettlebell or a second 20kg bell.

a kettlebell is like a dumbbell but with the important added factor of swings attached. I really do think swings are fantastic exercise. They are violent yet safe - hard to find exercises like this

Excellent way with words! Love it!

Excellent way with words! Love it!
You can TGUs etc, even snatches with a dumbbell (although the snatches end up a bit different - easier with a dummbell of course) but it's the swings that set the kettlebell apart. As it was explained to me, kettlebells are better because of this fact - you can do everything with them the same as with dumbbells but you can also do swings with them which you can't really with dumbbells. So, kettlebells win.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom