all posts post new thread

scipio

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all.

Some background to start.

M/42/5'9"/190lbs.

I've been weight training on a regular, but casual basis for 15-20 years. Regular in that I consistently trained, casual in that I didn't pursue any specific goals, other than the enjoyment of the routine and general fitness.

I've been working with kettlebells for most of this year. I discovered 'kettlebell culture' while browsing reddit and opted for hardstyle. I bought Pavel's S&S book and started working through the routines. I've enjoyed this immensely and have made some great progress.

At first, it was a struggle for me to do swings with a 16kg and TGUs were impossible. I built up to two-handed swings with 24kg and TGUs with 16kg. With more work, I can now perform one-handed swings at 32kg for a total of 100 reps and TGU with 24kg.

Although I've made definite progress in terms of handling heavier weights, I think that I can do more to perfect my form. I was so pleased when Pavel M and Justyna released the S&S course so that I could see the movements in action and broken down into their constituent parts.

My goal for now is to work through the online course and focus on form. I want to perfect my technique and perform each movement as though it was second nature.

I'm training most days but also taking the time to film myself and review my technique. It is my hope that I'll be able to view some of these videos in due course and see a noticeable improvement.

It's great to be here. My thanks to Pavel and Justyna for their work in producing the course.

A good session today. I focused on the warm-up drills, spending more time on them than usual. The video helped me notice some of the subtleties of the movements, particularly the 'vertical plank' and the correct stance for picking up and racking the bell.

I'm going to practice the vertical plank at various times during the day. I'm keen to get the basics right.

Today's goal was plain: complete a routine. I had had a very busy day with lots of claims on my time and reached the late evening before I had any real time to myself. I still managed to fit in a routine, making an effort to perform the vertical plank during the exercises. It's something that I have to concentrate on, but that's OK for now.

Hello all.

Some background to start.

M/42/5'9"/190lbs.

I've been weight training on a regular, but casual basis for 15-20 years. Regular in that I consistently trained, casual in that I didn't pursue any specific goals, other than the enjoyment of the routine and general fitness.

I've been working with kettlebells for most of this year. I discovered 'kettlebell culture' while browsing reddit and opted for hardstyle. I bought Pavel's S&S book and started working through the routines. I've enjoyed this immensely and have made some great progress.

At first, it was a struggle for me to do swings with a 16kg and TGUs were impossible. I built up to two-handed swings with 24kg and TGUs with 16kg. With more work, I can now perform one-handed swings at 32kg for a total of 100 reps and TGU with 24kg.

Although I've made definite progress in terms of handling heavier weights, I think that I can do more to perfect my form. I was so pleased when Pavel M and Justyna released the S&S course so that I could see the movements in action and broken down into their constituent parts.

My goal for now is to work through the online course and focus on form. I want to perfect my technique and perform each movement as though it was second nature.

I'm training most days but also taking the time to film myself and review my technique. It is my hope that I'll be able to view some of these videos in due course and see a noticeable improvement.

It's great to be here. My thanks to Pavel and Justyna for their work in producing the course.
Thank you for your kind words; enjoy the road!

I haven't been posting here much. That's on me. Still, my practice has been going well. I've converted the s/s programme to a personal schedule and I'm currently on Month 2. I'm performing 1H swings and TGUs at 24kgs with two sets (one right, one left) at 32kgs.

The swings are OK. My 32kg TGUs are still a little messy but I can sense that they're getting easier with practice. I plan to increase the sets in April.

Goal: timeless simple by July.

Missed 12 days earlier this month through a combination of holiday and ill health. Happy to report that there was no diminishment of my progress and I have continued on the programme. Increased to 32s on sets 7 and 8 as of yesterday.

I have also started to practice cleans and snatches. This is a technique thing for now -I will start to work up the ladder of weight when I'm happier with my form.

I videoed myself performing a 32kg TGU and reviewed my form. A bit messy on the takeoff and landing -I really need to smooth my actions here.

However, I went back and looked at an old video I had made when I first attempted this weight last year. I couldn't take off at all. I call that progress.

Steady state this week. I've watched some videos on clean technique and have been making some practice attempts.

A couple of days off at the weekend as I was out of town. Back on it again. Looking forward to adding another 32kg set towards the end of the month.

Have added 2x2 sets of cleans @ 24kg to every routing. Getting familiar with the move.

I did it. The full routine with a 32kg, almost a month ahead of schedule. No timing, just paced myself by the breath test and took my time without any artificial pressure.

I'm going to work on my cleans, presses and snatches now.

Took a few days off owing to other issues in my life. Returned to full 32kg session, using 1H swings. Working more on my clean technique now.

I've been really enjoying the cleans and squats/press. I'm now working a pattern of 32kg 1H swings, ten sets of ten C+S or C+P in alternate sessions (16kg with a push set of 24kg), followed by TGUs. Aiming to work up the ladder to reach 24kg C+S and C+P.

I'm finding the 32kg swings very easy and am giving some thought to getting a 40kg bell when funds allow.

Back
Top Bottom