all posts post new thread

Old Forum Simple & Sinister - Convict Conditioning Split

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
CC is also a pretty terrible program, you could do a lot better. Why not take up a sport, martial art, dance (social dancing, like ballroom, salsa, swing, tango etc can get really challenging) or some other physical hobby? The skill development and variety of movement you would get using your body for any of these would complement S&S (and vice versa) a lot better than just tacking on pushups, leg raises, et al.

Couldn't get the edit function to work, so will add yoga to the list of complementary activities. Fits very well indeed with S&S

Thanks guys for your continued attention to this thread!

To answer the question 'why do you want to do CC also'? I like the idea of mastering the final steps of each move. As someone who does not have access to a gym or the space for large home equipment, kettlebell and bodyweight exercises are ideal for me.

I  have not read and do not have any experience with any other bodyweight program. So the comment 'CC is a terrible program' again leaves me wondering why?

I suppose what it comes down to is my incorrect interpretation of S&S. My reading of the book left me with the impression that the program had been specifically designed in order let you work on secondary goals. I guess that was wrong!

Jack,

try stabilizing the 16 KB over your head.  Google "waiters walk" and just try to hold this position.  It will make you more comfortable with the idea of having a 16kg over your head.  also, It's ok to just work the first few movements of the TGU, in fact i believe thats the recommended progression.  even if you just start with the fetal position to laying on your back then pressing the kettlebell will be a benefit, helping with the non-working hand should be fine.

In regard to CC, I think it's been pretty well covered...a few things i"ll add are;

I've tried CC and I think the fundamental idea of it is flawed.  I really can't see the need for anyone of good general health and no injuries to start with wall push ups and air squats.  I understand the idea that it's to prepare your joints, but that doesn't seem like a very sound theory.  your joints are by design, stronger than your muscles so if regular push ups and squats are difficult there are more productive supplemental exercises you can do.

secondly, i'd be leery of any program thats final step is something no one has actually done, a one arm handstand pushup is a cool theory but a good overhead press will probably be a more worthwhile goal.

lastly, I would rather take my training advice from a company or individual that's qualifications are documented and proven, as opposed to a ghost writer.

S&S has very achievable goals and was written by someone that walks the walk.  if you're not ready for the calisthenics presented in CC, S&S will definitely get you there by making you stronger all around.  teach a man to fish vs feeding him a fish.

these are just my opinions, I'm not affiliated with either company, just a guy thats reaped the benefits of the info I've found here.

A good question from Claude:

"The question teally is why you wsnt to do CC in addition. SS is designed to allow you to have energy and time for sport specific training on top of it, so you are allowed to do additional things. If your goal is to be able to do pistols, or OAP or OA pushups then by all means add specific training for those (there may be much better focused routines to achieve that than CC)."

Claude, for an experienced athlete, yes.  A beginner would just get scattered.

Given the general recommendations that I have received, I will focus solely on S&S until I have reached the 'Simple' goals.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my current living and working situation mean that kettlebells and bodyweight are pretty much all I can work with.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom