all posts post new thread

Simple & Sinister - General discussion

@Anna C
Thanks very much for the pointers!

The deadlifts are just there for the technique drilling, I’ll probably do them first in my swing practice time, followed by 2HS.

“Abs” on the standing plank and “wait for the bell” are my takeaways there.
Adjust Your Sails (and Your Stance) with the Lock and Rock | StrongFirst
Why Movement Screening and Exercise Play by Different Rules | Functional Movement Systems

Look at some athletic hinge information as well.

Coming out of the woodwork to join the forum. I’ve done Olympic weightlifting and CrossFit for several years now. Further back I did more sports and bodybuilding work.

My body has taken a little beating from CrossFit and I’m super burned out of the time commitment and intense workouts. Im fairly strong though at 185lbs and knocked out a 275lb squat clean a few weeks ago.

I did S&S years ago prior to joining a gym and was able to progress from a 16kg bell to a 24kg bell over the course of a year. It’s time to revisit the program as it better suits my desires of GPP so I’m healthy and strong to engage in sports and hiking.

24kg bell is pretty easy after a few weeks of it so I ordered a 32kg bell. Hopefully in a few months I can report back with my Simple goal achieved.

Thanks for so much a wonderful community and providing a safer and healthier path for my fitness.

Coming out of the woodwork to join the forum. I’ve done Olympic weightlifting and CrossFit for several years now. Further back I did more sports and bodybuilding work.

My body has taken a little beating from CrossFit and I’m super burned out of the time commitment and intense workouts. Im fairly strong though at 185lbs and knocked out a 275lb squat clean a few weeks ago.

I did S&S years ago prior to joining a gym and was able to progress from a 16kg bell to a 24kg bell over the course of a year. It’s time to revisit the program as it better suits my desires of GPP so I’m healthy and strong to engage in sports and hiking.

24kg bell is pretty easy after a few weeks of it so I ordered a 32kg bell. Hopefully in a few months I can report back with my Simple goal achieved.

Thanks for so much a wonderful community and providing a safer and healthier path for my fitness.
It sounds like you have some knowledge of strongfirst methods. If you haven't got a good set of instructions the book or the SF video are worth getting. You may find that the details vary from what you may have heard from other sources. You would need to make those enquiries to work out if those details are significant or not.

Thanks for the reply. I read the original S&S books years ago and recently been reading the updated version. I read quick and the dead as well but decided S&S is better for where I’m at now.

My 7th training in a row. 31 minutes without stretching, 40 minutes all together.
If I could go back and give myself and advice - I would say: "Treat it like swimming". Sometimes you use the abs, propel yourself forward and go for speed, watch your breathing and so on. And sometimes you just swim.
That idea, I think, would bring step loading and continuous training to life for me.

Just achieved timeless simple today. It wasn’t too bad as I took my time with it. Now I’m considering getting a 40kg bell and working my way to solid.

But maybe I should stay here for a bit? I guess I don’t see any reason not to starting slowly incorporating a heavier weight. My goal is timeless solid and timed simple.

Just achieved timeless simple today. It wasn’t too bad as I took my time with it. Now I’m considering getting a 40kg bell and working my way to solid.

But maybe I should stay here for a bit? I guess I don’t see any reason not to starting slowly incorporating a heavier weight. My goal is timeless solid and timed simple.
Well done.
You can get a bit of mileage out of 32 still by compressing the rest once a week.
The sooner you get the 40 kg though, the sooner you can get a second 24 kg, and a 28 kg... :)

I would keep Hammering to timed simple with the 32kg once a week, while slowly building strength 2H swing with 40kg

Something like this...
Mon & Fri mixing 1H & 2H swings with 32 & 40 (still 100 reps)

Wed working on timed simple with 32kg

If you follow the book, progressing to 40kg timeless will be they key to timed simple. Many of us went other routes, but I don’t see any reason that wouldn’t be an excellent thing to do.

Here is a video of me doing the “butt to wall drill” to show my hinge, from that point you see I am nowhere near reaching a kettlebell on the floor so the rest is knee bend. Is that an issue? (I am doing some flexible steel to try and improve my hamstring flexibility).
IMHO, you’re letting the perfect become the enemy of the good. Let your knees come forward some.

I prefer the stick drill to the one you’re doing. Stick touches head, between shoulders, and sacrum. Hip hinge without loosing contact in any of the three places, let your knees do what they want as you try to hinge, video that and post. Anyone have a video of this drill?

-S-

IMHO, you’re letting the perfect become the enemy of the good. Let your knees come forward some.

I prefer the stick drill to the one you’re doing. Stick touches head, between shoulders, and sacrum. Hip hinge without loosing contact in any of the three places, let your knees do what they want as you try to hinge, video that and post. Anyone have a video of this drill?

-S-

Does anybody else get adductor DOMS from S&S? Whenever I have a short break I have the worst upper and Inner thigh stiffness and doms that seems to be too high for it to be hammies. Gracilus maybe?

I am late to this thread but am very curious about mixing 2HS and 1HS throughout the process. I am being corrected for right side dysfunction due to excessive pronation, so 1HS can become problematic if done without 2HS breaks. I am really curious if you can ride the 2HS up to 32kg and then come back down on the 1HS until it too ascends to the 32kg target.
Per the program do 2hs every second or third workout.

Personally I found if 1hs grip is an issue throwing hand to hand swings in does wonders. I got the idea from a great @Steve Freides post

Does anybody else get adductor DOMS from S&S? Whenever I have a short break I have the worst upper and Inner thigh stiffness and doms that seems to be too high for it to be hammies. Gracilus maybe?

I had that irritating me for about a week last year. Went away on its own. But I did also experience issues with general tightness and got a mild groin strain the second time is acted up. I was in the midst of sorting out what was going on with my SI joints too though. I think it’s all related.

I just learned to back off a little bit, then upped my stretching. For awhile I was doing the 90/90 and QL stretch 2-4 times a day. I’m addition to other stretches specifically for my SI and sciatic irritation.

The other thing I think has also helped lately is I’ve been haphazardly adding the 9 Min Challenge during off days.

I'm curious about how many days a week people actually train S+S once they start working with the 32. Doing a whole session with the 24 is almost like yoga, but bringing the 32 into the mix makes it a heavy "workout" session, and I just can't do that four times a week. I was thinking about using the 32/40 twice a week and doing one session with a lighter weight. Anyone else have that experience?

Some background:
1. I've acheived timeless simple years ago but then I was diagnosed with shiny object syndrome and quit it too soon. I'm returning back to S+S and I am determined to stick with it longer and maybe try for timeless solid (S+S is the only program that I really saw gains from).
2. 4 young kids who want me to play basketball with them every day, lots of coaching duties, plus some sparring now and then, so recovery is more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom