all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple & Sinister = Pressing Strength?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Out of curiosity, what makes you pick swing over snatch?
The swing is the exercise for everyone - easily learned, doesn't require good overhead mobility, can be patterned slowly via the deadlift before performing ballistically - and I have no doubt we could add to that list.

If a person is able to snatch a kettlebell well, then that touches more bases than the swing, I'll agree.

-S-

I think Pavel's point here (and broadly, with including the bench in any program) is that the bench allows you to load the upper body much more than a standing press.

That said, I think the vertical presses have a lot more carryover to other activities, but bench gains lead to press gains.
My interpretation was always that it was the most versatile or most "bang for your buck". Can load it heavy, not too technical, tolerated by most, and doesn't need huge volume.

The swing is the exercise for everyone - easily learned, doesn't require good overhead mobility, can be patterned slowly via the deadlift before performing ballistically - and I have no doubt we could add to that list.

If a person is able to snatch a kettlebell well, then that touches more bases than the swing, I'll agree.

-S-
Swing is definitely the most democratic option!

I think Pavel's point here (and broadly, with including the bench in any program) is that the bench allows you to load the upper body much more than a standing press.

That said, I think the vertical presses have a lot more carryover to other activities, but bench gains lead to press gains.
Yes. I like that they are performed while standing, opposed to lying on your back, for carryover

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom