all posts post new thread

TSC Simple & Sinister + TSC Programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SuperGirevik

Level 3 Valued Member
I’ve been following the S&S program for nearly 90 days non-stop and really enjoyed it’s simplicity. I’ve worked up to using the 32kg bell and will soon order a 40kg. Recently I’ve been interested in participating in the TSC as well.

So after reading a few articles, I put together the following program that would allow me to continue doing S&S daily and train for the TSC:

Capture.png

Note: For snatches, "7/7 7min" means, 7 reps per arm EMOM for 7 min.

This program is pretty much a fusion of the following:

I’m currently 40yrs old, 6’ tall and weigh 210lbs. Here are my current PRs:

• Strict Pull-ups: 3
  • Snatches: 16kg x 100 in 5min with only one hand switch (GS style)
  • Deadlift: 340lbs x 1
  • KB Press: 32kg x 5

My primary concern is that I might be setting myself up for being over trained. However keep in mind that I wouldn't be doing all the exercises back to back. For example, S&S is done in the morning before I head to work. At my job I built a pull-up bar, so during lunch time I would do my pull-ups. When I get back from work in the afternoon I would do my snatches or deadlifts.

With all that said, a part of me is very curious to see my TSC results by just continuing my current daily S&S program (which includes random chin-ups/pull-ups and presses whenever I feel up for it).

Thanks for taking the time to read my message :)

didn't read the details, but I have a suggestion anyway...fwiw I'd pick a program for your primary focus, be that S&S or a TSC prep program, then just add one thing in at a time for 2-3 weeks, and see how it works and affects your recovery/reserves. They add in something else...one thing at a time. This keeps it easier to analyze the effects of each addition and fine tune it if you need to. With a program that's been tested and used on a wide population with a lot of success, you can adopt it wholesale. Otherwise, I'd add in one thing at a time and pay attention to your own response to each addition

I've actually decided to keep doing just Simple & Sinister as my main training program and test the "what the heck" effect for myself. I'll probably continue to lightly sprinkle some chin-ups/pull-ups, snatches or push-ups on top of my S&S just for fun. With this in mind, I will not program any light or heavy days, but rather continue slowly building up as the program outlines with light days only when needed. It's time for me to order a 40kg!

Last edited:
are GTG pullups an option for you? That might be the simplest road + 1-2 DL sessions per week. Those snatch sessions could always replace swings on the day too

are GTG pullups an option for you? That might be the simplest road + 1-2 DL sessions per week. Those snatch sessions could always replace swings on the day too

I have access to a pull-up at work but I'd probably only 2-3 sets in daily using 30min-1hr rest.

Your strength numbers aren't bad. But if you are planning on this falls TSC you need to work on heavier snatches. You'll be snatching the 20K in novice, not a big jump but very doable. I'd get on a good snatching routine with the 24K and then a couple weeks prior I'd switch to the 20K and work pace. The snatching will keep your pull ups primed so then all you'll need is a bit of deadlifting. Any good peaking program should do that. Then take up S&S when you're done. But you need to start snatching heavier in my opinion.

@banzaiengr - Thanks for the recommendation. I chose sticking to S&S primarily to test it out and see how it translates to other lifts or movements. It’s a personal experiment I’m conducting.

If my goal was to seriously compete, I would definitely work on the other lifts, such as snatches.

Recently I had to lay off doing TGUs due to a wrist injury (sayonara S&S daily streak). Fortunately, I'm still able to do swings, pull-ups and deadlifts without any discomfort. So I decided to re-test my 1RM deadlift to see if it improved after roughly a month of S&S. My previous 1RM deadlift was 340lbs. Yesterday, I went to my brothers house and started lifting 275lbs x 1, 315lbs x 1, 335lbs x 1, 355lbs x 1, 365 x 1 and failed to pull 375lbs x 1. I was impressed to see that my deadlift increased by ~7.5% without touching the barbell since my last test. I guess this is the WTH effect I heard about.

With that said, I'm going to create a temporary program around deadlifts, swings and pull-ups. Unfortunately, most push movements irritate my wrist (ex. push-ups, military presses, TGUs, etc).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom