all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Simple Strength for Difficult Times Re/Pre-view

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vegpedlr

Level 6 Valued Member
So I “finished” the program, sort of, and have decided to refresh it with different exercises and run it again, sort of. I’m skipping the deload and testing weeks because I didn’t pre-test, and the results wouldn’t be that meaningful. I’m fine with the subjective feeling of improvement, making it a six week program. Run twice in succession it fills up a twelve week summer.

Background

With covid craziness, I just assumed all the MTB events I was interested in would be cancelled. Then the false hope of improvement made it look like reschedules could happen. So I picked @Fabio Zonin s program to run as a six week get back in some sort of shape. If the race was rescheduled to Sept. and I could get in, I would switch to focused endurance training. If not, then I could just keep working on more strength this summer.

Well, the race did not get moved, it’s today. And the virus is back in a big way. Here in the PNW, it never declined all that much, and now just keeps growing. Plus, we have unmarked goon squads snatching people off of PDX streets.

So I’ll stay hunkered in the bunker and go for another round of the program for six weeks. First time around I chose:

Squat: Bulgarian split squat
Press: Landmine one arm press
Pull: TRX row

I picked these because I wanted to do some unilateral work and try new things. I’d never used the landmine before, and found I liked it. I like the angle and I like the way it gives a bit of rotation. The row and split squat I’ve done before, but never as a focus. I had to adjust the weights the second week, and the TRX is hard to quantify, so that’s why I’m not interested in testing.

Refresh:

Squat: Bulgarian split squat, adding weight
Press: TRX push up
Pull: Landmine row

So just flipping the equipment around to try new moves. I may have to alter the rep range down for the squat since the jump in weight will be big due to equipment.

For conditioning I went for a ruck after lifting, and a short climbing ride on non lifting days. I also tried to get in some swings on off days. This part didn’t work as well. Sometimes it was too much, particularly on the heavy squat day. So this time around, not adding any weight or time to rucks or bikes, instead dialing back just a bit. Unweighted walk on the heavy squat day, rucking on the others. Non lift days will be the same bike and swing sessions, not trying to progress them. I may scale back a bit when the lifting volume tops out.

I liked the circuit style of this plan, and found myself resting little if at all between exercises, I rested between ladders and rounds. I’d never trained with th ladders like this before, and liked the fixed weight convenience. Everything set up and ready to go. Just wrote out the rep scheme on an index card and followed it. The only drawback was that the circuit dictated exercise choice a bit. I wanted to do back squat and bench, but I don’t have enough equipment.

Overall, I enjoyed the program, and am running it again before switching to Easy Strength for Fat Loss for the fall. Hopefully, the US can get its act together and get the virus under control so we can race again next season.

Anybody else try this program or something similar?

Hi,

started this program a couple weeks ago using goblet squat, one arm press and pull ups on a scaffold bar. Loving it so far, finding everything feeling easier and feeling strong after training (similar to the feel of pttp and ES).

stay safe
Gorg

Anybody else try this program or something similar?

I'm also on my second run through and am really enjoying it. Currently KB hack squats, narrow grip feet elevated push ups and KB rows. Spreading the sets out throughout the day (and sometimes the next day) depending on time constraints. I've settled on 2½ times per week plus S&S 3½ times per week (I'm about 2 weeks away from Timeless Solid). This obviously spreads it out a couple of weeks but no big deal. A few hours of MAF cycling sprinkled in as well.

First run through I did as prescribed 3 times per week combined with S&S also 3 times per week plus the cycling. Seemed to recover well but I wasn't progressing in S&S as much as I would like so made this minor adjustment.

As for testing, I didn't test my final results in week 8 (I know I got stronger) but used the week to test some options for next go-round.

Next up I'll be doing the follow up Part two plan with a block of Q&D Simple Strength for Difficult Times Part Two: Get Even Stronger in Quarantine | StrongFirst Plus always the cycling, which I consider my mental exercise.

Really thankful to @Fabio Zonin , and of course Strongfirst, for putting out such awesome (and free!) programs. The flexibility and options are limitless. I think I'll be keeping this going and alternating between S&S, Q&D and A&A for a long time.

Next up I'll be doing the follow up Part two plan with a block of Q&D Simple Strength for Difficult Times Part Two: Get Even Stronger in Quarantine | StrongFirst Plus always the cycling, which I consider my mental exercise.

Really thankful to @Fabio Zonin , and of course Strongfirst, for putting out such awesome (and free!) programs. The flexibility and options are limitless. I think I'll be keeping this going and alternating between S&S, Q&D and A&A for a long time.

I didn't run through Simple Strength for Difficult Time Part One, as I was still working on getting Timeless Simple nailed down. Fabio Zonin just released the Part Two article about a month before I was done.

I started Part Two (tons of variation between workouts) with combinations of single and double KB grinds, and bodyweight exercises. I'm currently in week 7 with deloads. This has been my first foray into using ladders and I can't believe I haven't used them before (what a game changer). So far I've really liked the program, with the volume ramping up week over week. Workouts started out around 30-35 mins and grown to about 75 mins when week 6 hit with the most runs up the ladders.

I modified the schedule slightly doing an 8 day block. Looks like this:
Day 1 - SSD day 1
Day 2 - Q&D swings/pushups
Day 3 - SSD day 2
Day 4 - LSD running
Day 5 - Q&D swings/pushups
Day 6 - SSD day 3
Day 7 - Q&D swings/pushups
Day 8 - LSD running;
repeat

I kept the Q&D swings/pushups for the first four blocks. I purposefully programmed KB jerk (heavy), KB dbl press (medium), and single KB press (light) for my SSD presses, seeing as I was using pushups in Q&D. The next couple blocks I moved to Q&D snatches, but my snatch form sucked and I ripped both my hands.

Due to the ripped hands, last block I've been doing S&S instead of Q&D, starting back down with the 24 and progressively working back up to Simple timeless over the next few weeks. As much as I like Q&D, I feel that the timeless approach to S&S just feels great alongside other programs.

The next time I run SSD Part 2, I plan on using the trapbar deadlift for the squat exercise (knowing it is more of a hybrid squat/hinge), pullups for the pull, and weighted dips for the push. I'll attempt to run A+A snatches alongside.

I modified the schedule slightly doing an 8 day block. Looks like this:
Day 1 - SSD day 1
Day 2 - Q&D swings/pushups
Day 3 - SSD day 2
Day 4 - LSD running
Day 5 - Q&D swings/pushups
Day 6 - SSD day 3
Day 7 - Q&D swings/pushups
Day 8 - LSD running;
repeat

I like this. Been toying around with the idea of 9 day blocks to give me a bit more saddle time:

Day 1: SSD day 1
Day 2: Q&D
Day 3: LSD cycling
Day 4: SSD day 2
Day 5: Q&D
Day 6: LSD cycling
Day 7: SSD day 3
Day 8: Q&D
Day 9: LSD cycling
Repeat

That's 2⅓ times per week for each activity, which should be doable from a recovery standpoint but is it enough for consistent progress? Maybe I'll give it a shot next go round and report back.

I find that the second installment no longer qualifies as “Simple.” So I am sticking with a second six week run through with two exercise changes. The other days I will do my version of Easy Conditioning which is swings alternated with suitcase carries and followed by a ruck.

I find that the second installment no longer qualifies as “Simple.” So I am sticking with a second six week run through with two exercise changes. The other days I will do my version of Easy Conditioning which is swings alternated with suitcase carries and followed by a ruck.
Totally agreed. It wasn't Simple at all, 3 different workouts depending on which day. I was looking for variety, so it checked those boxes.

I find that the second installment no longer qualifies as “Simple.”
Totally agreed. It wasn't Simple at all, 3 different workouts depending on which day. I was looking for variety, so it checked those boxes.

Agreed with both. I initially planned on doing part 2 immediately following part 1 but I was travelling for a couple of those weeks and due to lack of equipment I repeated part 1 with mainly bodyweight variations. Nice to have a simple option available but also a variety option for when equipment and a desire for variety is available.

I ran through simple strength for difficult times. My exercises were push ups, horizontal row, and goblet squat with a 32 kg bell. I did OS routine and 7 two-handed swings EMOM for 15 minutes on alternating days.

Results
Exercise: Start—>Test
Goblet Squat: 10 @ 32 —>8 @ 24x2
Push-up: 10—> 18
Horizontal Row: 8—>13

In retrospect, I wonder if I could’ve done a heavier weight with the goblet squats. Also, given the equipment at hand it is difficult to determine if absolute strength increased, but the numbers went up so I am happy.

Just finished my second cycle. As before I skipped the deload and test weeks so that I could fit two cycles in over the summer. I liked it, and I would do it again. But now it’s time to shift gears for Easy Strength for Fat Loss. Gotta do some work to lose the Covid 15.

This time I did rear foot elevated split squat, BP, and Landmine row.

The circuit, I like moving from one exercise to another
Landmine. I’d never used it before. Especially the press
The progression. It got harder as volume increased, but not too bad.

Not So Much:
The circuit. That switching limits exercise selection.
Squat volume. Fries my legs for bike/run. Rucking OK.

Again? Sure, but not for now. In the next couple of days I’m going to test a “sorta max” for BP and SQ to see where I’m at currently. Then, a different sort of work, Easy Strength, Easy Endurance, and Easy Conditioning. The real energy to be expended in the kitchen.

Great program, thanks @Fabio Zonin !

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom