all posts post new thread

Simple to timed simple

dadostal

First Post
Looking for some input on getting to timed simple for swings. I have no issue with simple standard with 32K for both swings and get ups, but i'm struggled to get to timed simple. My best time is 7 min for the swings, and no issue hitting the time for TGUs. Average time is 9-10 min for swing. I've been focusing mostly on continuing the swings using the talk test to recover, but I feel like I've plateaued there. I was considering a more focused endurance program, like that described by Al Ciampa in "From Simple to Serious Endurance", but I'd have to drop the bell size to complete the volume and I'm wondering if that would negate some of the benefit when I go back to 32K. I'd love to have input on what people recommend to improve endurance/recovery in order to meet timed simple.

Looking for some input on getting to timed simple for swings. I have no issue with simple standard with 32K for both swings and get ups, but i'm struggled to get to timed simple. My best time is 7 min for the swings, and no issue hitting the time for TGUs. Average time is 9-10 min for swing. I've been focusing mostly on continuing the swings using the talk test to recover, but I feel like I've plateaued there. I was considering a more focused endurance program, like that described by Al Ciampa in "From Simple to Serious Endurance", but I'd have to drop the bell size to complete the volume and I'm wondering if that would negate some of the benefit when I go back to 32K. I'd love to have input on what people recommend to improve endurance/recovery in order to meet timed simple.

I went about it different than a lot of people. The standard answer is to work in the 40kg until that becomes your daily bell, at which point the 32kg is light enough you can do a quick peaking plan and likely hit timed simple.

I did more like you are talking about and did the 10,000 swing challenge with the 24kg two handed. My weak points were grip and endurance, both of which were solved (peaked) with the 10,000 swing challenge even though it was a smaller bell. Came back the week after and hit timed simple.

I'll suggest sharing a video of your swings here, if you're willing... We can tell a lot about what will help you get better by seeing how you execute a typical set of 10.

Many options

1. Get stronger as mentioned already by using a heavier bell for your talk test practice. My preferred approach because it’s less taxing on the body since you are in control of your recovery periods. Probably the most reliable.
2. Continue 100 swings with the 32 bell and gradually reduce rest. For example, you could start with five swings per arm per minute. And gradually increase to 10 per arm per minute.
3. Wave the volume of swings. For example between 60 and 200 swings per day. Or take a page from ETKs ROP and roll a pair of dice and do as many swings in the allotted time as possible.
4. Switch to snatching. If you don’t know how, you probably want to learn from a certified instructor. If you don’t have a heavier bell than the 32 and can’t get one, this may be the next best thing. All things being equal, if you can progress to snatching a 32 kg bell, timed simple should be very doable.
5. Consider loaded carries. I hear they are great for work capacity development and may also be helpful.

It’s a laudable goal you have. Please come back and let us know what you did to earn success.

I got from timeless simple to timed simple by setting the timer for 5mins & only swinging for that. When I was timeless simple & trying to shorten my times I often felt worn out & got occasional twinges. I found only doing 5 minutes kept me fresh & I could train nearly everyday.
On days I was feeling strong I pushed the pace a bit. The days I wasn’t feeling the best I didn’t worry about numbers & just practiced the movement. Wasn’t long & the strong days I was hitting the simple standard. Then I seemed to have more & more strong days.
The big change for me was to stop striving for the standard & just push myself when I felt good. Once I done that I progressed twice as fast as I did when I was chasing the standard.
If you have a heavier bell I second using that as well. I’ve got a 36 & 40, occasionally I’d throw them in for one of the 5 minute sessions. I wouldn’t get many swings but nearly always got PR with the 32 later in the week.

Have you considered following the books recommendation for "after timeless" ? In the updated version of the book there is a pretty good section on what to do after you hit timeless simple.

As for From Simple to Serious Endurance, I really enjoyed that protocol. It sounds like if you are able to do your swings with the 32kg in 9-10 min following the talk test, you'll be able to use that bell for the protocol as it calls for a bell you can do 10 swings on the minute for 10 minutes.

As for me, I hit timeless simple not following the book. I did all my swings and getups on the minute (OTM). When 10 minutes was easy for the swings, I'd introduce a "test day" maybe once or twice a month. On the test day I attempted to hit 10 swings every 30s for 5 minutes, followed by the getups.

Good luck!

I got from timeless simple to timed simple by setting the timer for 5mins & only swinging for that. When I was timeless simple & trying to shorten my times I often felt worn out & got occasional twinges. I found only doing 5 minutes kept me fresh & I could train nearly everyday.
On days I was feeling strong I pushed the pace a bit. The days I wasn’t feeling the best I didn’t worry about numbers & just practiced the movement. Wasn’t long & the strong days I was hitting the simple standard. Then I seemed to have more & more strong days.
The big change for me was to stop striving for the standard & just push myself when I felt good. Once I done that I progressed twice as fast as I did when I was chasing the standard.
If you have a heavier bell I second using that as well. I’ve got a 36 & 40, occasionally I’d throw them in for one of the 5 minute sessions. I wouldn’t get many swings but nearly always got PR with the 32 later in the week.
Thanks for the tip...I hadn't considered about that approach.

Hello @dadostal ,

I actually just completed my timed simple. My lungs burned significantly more than when I completed an Olympic length Triathlon. I was truly grateful for the thousands of reps. I put in with technique beforehand to help me get through the get-ups at the end. I completed this by following what @John K recommended above. Use the updated Simple & Sinister book recommendations after timeless Simple and you will get there before you know it! You've got this!

There are two things I'd work on

1. Get stronger.. the 32 would not be as intimidating if you can swing 36,40 and do getups with 36,40

2. Have some metric.. for me, I personally make sure I can do EMOM for the swings and getups.. that means a 4-6 week peaking plan and I have the timed standard again

3. If you have the technique down, snatches also drive swings.. I first unlocked timed simple while working on the 24kg snatch test

Back
Top Bottom