all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just completed my first Friday timed test with the 24kg on both Swings & TGU.
In the past I did it like so, but may have misread v1.0, max swings with lighter bell up to 100 but would get nowhere near 100. Rest then do TGU with normal weight. As result I didn't really get anything out of them so just stopped.

Todays session:
Swings: 100 in 4:50 - 10*10
TGU: 10 in 5.08

Well within the time but I definitely need to do these sessions weekly as I feel smoked. Could be that I was my 2nd fasted session in 2 days bar 2 long blacks. I haven't fasted intentionally in quite some time. Or that I'm not quite as raring to go as I though as definitely felt my energy slightly after the 4th swing set. I did however start at 100% power but remembered that 80% is recommended and gladly adjusted back!

Writing this 40 mins post workout having eaten and luckily feel so energy coming back as I have things to do.

Weight post workout was 80.3
5 Days AF. May dispense with this as a daily measure as might be accountability overkill.

If anyone else is reading I keen to hear your experiences with any of the above??? Do you enjoy the Friday smoker?

I keen to hear your experiences with any of the above??? Do you enjoy the Friday smoker?
I do enjoy them. In the right dose, I feel like they are a positive contributor for my health. I have found that you can’t go all out every week. Pavel recommends only putting in a hard effort every other week and it might even make sense to dial that back more with a hard/moderate/skip cadence over a three week cycle.

Also I personally need to mix it up. Hard test one week with the “minus one” weights. Moderate push with normal weights the next. Q&D test the following. Or non-stop swings or whatever. This is an aspect of S&S where variety is a very good thing.

I do enjoy them. In the right dose, I feel like they are a positive contributor for my health. I have found that you can’t go all out every week. Pavel recommends only putting in a hard effort every other week and it might even make sense to dial that back more with a hard/moderate/skip cadence over a three week cycle.

Also I personally need to mix it up. Hard test one week with the “minus one” weights. Moderate push with normal weights the next. Q&D test the following. Or non-stop swings or whatever. This is an aspect of S&S where variety is a very good thing.

Thanks for the insight Tim. May have to also buy Q&D now but have the general idea from SF insta people. Would also be a good way to get in some snatch practice.

May have to also buy Q&D now but have the general idea from SF insta people. Would also be a good way to get in some snatch practice.
I really like Q&D both the program and the book and would highly recommend it. But I am wired in the power direction or a "cat" as Pavel would categorize it. See my log today for more insight. I wish I had hit timeless Simple before switching over, but my get-ups went south on me, so I am not quite there. In any event if you like hitting each rep really hard whether with swings (plus push-ups) or snatches then Q&D is a good way to go. BTW, the program has some very detailed timings, that I am not sure you can get through forum and IG osmosis. If you want to go that way, you should get the book.

Was bit pushed for time today although still kept session untimed.

Swings:
32, 32, 40, 40, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32,
1 minute rest.
TGU: 5 each side with 32. with floor press.
As suggested by Piers Kwan I added in 10*24 kg floor presses each side at end to start building theses up more.

All in all was a good session after the weekend off.
Feel like I could add in more swing sets with the 40 so may increase next week but will see when the time comes.

Diet was a bit off over the weekend as involved beer and snaks so back up to 81kg although this wasn't fasted.

Untimed & Fasted Session
Swings:
1 minute rest.
TGU: DBL (L,R,L,R,L,R) + Single (L,R,L,R) Total Reps : 16 all with 32 and floor press on 1st one.
10*24 kg floor presses each side at end to start building theses up more.

Doing doubles definitely makes you realise the importance of shoulder health as the key is to ensure the shoulder remains in the socket otherwise you end up wrestling the weight.

One thing I like about this program is that it constantly reveals insight into both yourself and training in general. Whoever said simple is boring obviously comes in with the wrong attitude as the process is extremely rewarding.

Weight was 80kg flat. Going by the mirror body comp has improved though.

Had a bit of a sore elbow today so did a weighted bush walk (18kg in a pack) thought it would take 40 mins but was only 23 as powered though by myself.
Felt energetic later in the afternoon so did s&s swings wth 32 emom and then some goblet squats as haven’t done them in a while. Nice to have a bit of variety but hope body is 100% tomorrow.

Thought I’d include a photo of my gear. Beasthas been gathering dust for quit sometime.

Kia ora @SimplySimpleNZ! Love the family photo ;)

Felt a bit unmotivated today, just didn't have the energy and coffee couldn't snap me out of it. Instead of pushing through as 32kg plus seemed too heavy to decided to bring my weekly test day forward. The reason for this was probably because I was trying to go fasted but couldn't shake the hunger!

So anyway ended up as follows:
Swings: 100 in 4:45 - 10*10
TGU: 10 in 5.21

Happy with the result and by only using 80% power swings were easier and shaved off a few seconds from last week. Happy with getups, they were only slower because I didn't feel like going all out today so took that extra few seconds here and there. Glad that there is a way to scale on off days!

Recovery was better than last week too which was a bonus.

Weight 79.6.

Went for a morning mountain bike ride today which I haven’t done in quite some time. 40-60 mins. Definitely out of practice with the more downhill side of it but found any hills easy.
Had a few hours off and lunch then got into session.

Untimed
Swings:
1 minute rest.
TGU: DBL (L,R,L,R,L,R) + Single (L,R,L,R) Total Reps : 16 all with 32 and floor press on 1st one.

Enjoying the extra load that the double reps are providing and feel my abs working hard. No decrease in performance because of the earlier bike tells me my GPP must be improving.

Untimed
Swings:
32, 32, 40, 40, 40, 40, 32, 32, 32, 32,
1 minute rest.
TGU: 32, 32, 40, 40, 40, 40, 32, 32, 32, 32

Floor press *10 both sides with 24 to finish.

Plan to keep swings as is for next month and vary the TGUs with doubles on the 32 until I can do for all 10 sets. Then I will add the 40 in, if possible, otherwise I will make a 36 as I've done this in the past.

Whoops just realised my last entry must have been done on autopilot. Unfortunately the 40kg TGU were plain old 32 so 32 *10

Untimed
Swings:
32, 32, 40, 40, 40, 40, 32, 32, 32, 32
Rest
TGU: DBL (L,R,L,R,L,R.L,R) + Single (L,R) Total Reps : 18 with 32 and floor press on 1st one.

Session took around about 30 mins. Thought was to go slow to see to I could grind out 10 double TGUs. Body was saying no at the end though.
Don't mind the longer sessions as give me a good dose of mindfulness and clarity which is needed at present.

Went away for a long weekend which did involve some trail mountain biking which was great fun. However, my obviously ate too well as weight this morning was 82kg. Oops ?. Can’t put train a bad diet i did enjoy the stout, chicken wings and jalapeño poppers though.

Heading back to work next week so will have to ensure I remain consistent even if I’m back to night training as not a morning person at all. Definitely not as much energy at 8.30 pm as at 10am.

Tonights session was:
Untimed
Swings:
1 min rest
TGU: 5 each side with 32. with floor press
10 floor press with 24 each side

Got a a day session which was a complete replica of yesterday. Legs were feeling a little lack of recovery time. However was able to push through with reasonable ease. Took just under 3mins.
Still loving my closer stance swing as definitely still creating more power than in the past and on top of that feel like i could even get some growth into into them by the time I hit timeless 40.

Untimed
Swings:
1 min rest
TGU: 5 each side with 32. with floor press

Untimed Session
Swings:
Rest.

40kg swings definitely take it out of me so think ill be sticking with untimed sessions for forseeable future.
However, felt I should push the double getups today as had a days rest. Plan is to rest tomorrow then go ahead and do the same session on saturday with more Double TGUs.

Foregoing the Test days as having nose surgery next week so will lose any cardio benefits from this in the recovery time. Fingers crossed that I will be able to breath better afterwards and make some easy gains that way.

Untimed Session
Swings:
Rest.
TGU: 5 each side with 32. with floor press. Between rep 1 & 2 I floor pressed the 40 and rolled to elbow for practice.
10 floor press with 24 each side.

Beautiful day here so will be out for a walk with the family later.

Last nights Untimed Session
Swings:
Rest.
TGU: 5 each side with 32. with floor

Had the time and was ready to go again so why not.

Decided on an easy day.
Untimed
2 handed swings with 24 * 100
Mix of TGUs mostly 20s with press in various places.
Was a nice change of pace and highlights some Areas of mobility needed to work on if I ever want to bent press.

Untimed Session
Swings:
Rest.
TGU: 5 each side with 32. with floor

I had sort of been planning my training around getting surgery on my nose (septoplasy) to clear out cartilage as knew that I’d would probably have a week or so off post surgery to recover. Unfortunately, this was scheduled for yesterday and I was in a gown in the waiting room but was bump off the schedule for the day with no new date yet.
My next known disruption will be a family holiday in 3 weeks so think the above training will be my go to until then which will have given me 6-7 weeks at this level but with the goal of doing a session of 5 doubles TGUs each side.
Will hopefully solidify and be able to move on after the holiday. Would have great to take my 32 with me but don’t think it will be doable in a camper van!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom