all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simply Sinister trial

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Tried the Simply Sinister workout today The Simply Sinister Training Plan

I used 16kg which was not too challenging of a weight, but was just the right amount of challenge for trying to do the whole thing continuously.

It took me 8:40; would have to do the get-ups faster to get to 8:00.

Also I forgot to do the floor press part of the get-up until the last 3... I assume that should be part of it. And I didn't count the swing switch as a swing, but snatched on the 10th swing. I suppose there could be one more swing in each set to be complete.

All in all, I thought it was great! As @B.Hetzler says in the article, "In a very short amount of time, you receive the benefits of 100 swings, 10 snatches, and 10 get-ups."

As I thought, even at a relatively light weight, it's a glycolytic effort for me. HR between 150 and 160. Here's my HR graph.

upload_2017-3-11_16-6-28.png

What do the colors on the left side of the chart mean? Are they personalized for you or just general numbers?

Thanks.

-S-

Good question, Steve. Here is the area on Polar with the HR zone calculation.

I assume my defaults are based on my age, which is 49.

upload_2017-3-11_18-13-17.png

@Darren Best, thank you.

@Anna C, thank you as well. Do you try to keep in the Green Zone when you do your A + A training? If I do the MAF math correctly, that's about right for you.

-S-

Steve, a great question. The green would be about right for MAF, yes. I no longer strictly limit the peaks to the green zone or MAF HR. In my mind, and what I currently understand from Al, is that a little higher is OK especially for that brief peak, but it's still a good guideline. Something like the first part of yesterday's training is probably ideal for me... at least, up until the 50:00 where I added a finisher of a 10 min snatch, which was definitely not A+A!

A description of this session is in my training log here for Friday, 3/10. It was a little of everything... but most of the sets are A+A style, about a 15 sec work set followed by about a minute of active rest, then go again.

upload_2017-3-11_19-13-45.png

What do the colors on the left side of the chart mean? Are they personalized for you or just general numbers?

@Steve Freides , @Anna C
Here is a link to the description of Polars heart rate zones.

In short, they represent certain percentages of ones max HR, e.g. in my case, age 38:

HR Max = 220 - 38 = 182

Zone 1 = 50% - 60% = 91 - 109
Zone 2 = 60% - 70% = 109 - 127
Zone 3 = 70% - 80% = 127 - 146
Zone 4 = 80% - 90% = 146 - 164
Zone 5 = 90% - 100% = 164 - 182

Last edited:
Hello,

All these data and all this precision is pretty impressive !

Do this kind of figures permit you to target a specific bpm zone in function of what you want to do (HIIT, MAF, etc...) ?

On the long run, did you notice an improvement in your training (both rest and effort management) using Polar ?

Related to the training in itself, do you still think it can be good to break some plateau or to vary or to train when short of time ? Indeed, reaching 150 or even more bpm on an everyday basis may be a lot of someone who would not have your training background. How about rest ? Any difference in terms of freshness or whatever ?

In all cases, very good job @Anna C !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
I might use SSTP sometimes instead of shadow swings thou, when I have achieved Simple.

I'm just wondering if the SSTP is Pavel approved? I know he has ok'd pushpresses alternated with TGU's every other day. Just want clarification before I file it under the Pavel files.

Great video for the plan. Extra credit for maintaining composure while under fire.

Haha, yeah, the neighbor and a friend were target shooting across the street, which explains the gunshots. That and the warm weather attire are two clues that I live in Mississippi...

Do this kind of figures permit you to target a specific bpm zone in function of what you want to do (HIIT, MAF, etc...) ?

I haven't played with the target features of the Polar app... I just watch the HR and have in mind what I expect, based on what I'm doing... and if I see something different then I might adjust (rest more, etc.). I think any target features are going to be based on the zones that are set, so you could set those to what you wanted to target. It does allow different zones to be set for different activities (strength training vs. running, for example).

On the long run, did you notice an improvement in your training (both rest and effort management) using Polar ?

Yes, absolutely, but I've actually been training with HR for almost 10 years now. Back then it was with the Garmin Edge 705 on the bike, which is still a unit that I use on bike rides.

Related to the training in itself, do you still think it can be good to break some plateau or to vary or to train when short of time ? Indeed, reaching 150 or even more bpm on an everyday basis may be a lot of someone who would not have your training background. How about rest ? Any difference in terms of freshness or whatever ?

Yes, I do think it might be good to break a plateau or for some variety, just not every day.

Context is important... it wasn't stressful for me, which I can see in my HRV score this morning (a 10, which is optimal. The video plus a standard S&S warmup beforehand was my only training yesterday). If I had done it with 20 or 24kg at maximum effort (which still would have required some rest periods I'm sure), it might have been stressful and my HR might have been up around 170 as it is when I do a snatch test. So 150-160 is a moderately hard effort, but not maxed. And I have a good aerobic base which helps buffer the effects and byproducts of glycolysis, so the negatives are less.

In all cases, very good job @Anna C !

Thanks! Hoping it might be useful for someone contemplating giving it a try. And as always, to generate the great discussions we have on this forum. :)

I'm just wondering if the SSTP is Pavel approved? I know he has ok'd pushpresses alternated with TGU's every other day. Just want clarification before I file it under the Pavel files.
I'm not Pavel, nor do I play him on TV, but I assume he did approve this since it appeared on Strongfirst and has been left up. That would be a oversight to post something like that and leave it up with out approval. If it appeared on Breaking Muscle, T-Nation, etc, then I would question it.

Haha, yeah, the neighbor and a friend were target shooting across the street, which explains the gunshots. That and the warm weather attire are two clues that I live in Mississippi...

I just assumed gunfire was the standard soundtrack for any urban / suburban US environment ;)

This is very interesting question. For me,sstp looks like some pat flynn's metcon stuff...I think this is not approved by Pavel!?!

That routine, with an appropriate weight, could be a same but different light day in S&S, couldn't it? Or not?
A little play in a rop variety day too, perhaps?

I was expecting a LAPD helicopter at some point and a car crashing through your fence being chased by a few blacked out limos to the starksy and hutch theme tune. Grace under fire indeed. Mind I have to contend with my neighbour practicing his bagpipes. That puts me into glycolysis without swinging anything!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom