all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Single arm swing problem

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bobbyomr

Level 2 Valued Member
I just started s and s. I m havig trouble transtion to 1 arm swing. I struggle to throw heavier kb above my knees.

Should I focus on getting my 2 hand swing heavier.

Or work light 1 arm kb swings.

Im usually doing 2 hand 20 24 or 32 kilo

1 arm I feel I struggle with 20k so Ive been doing 16 or 10 k

Hi @Bobbyomr

Any chance for a video of your 2H and 1H swings? I'm guessing it's a technique issue based on your phrasing. With a video we can get you dialed in better and give some good advice.

You can upload to YouTube or anywhere else with settings to unlisted or public, and post the link here.

I can't see the vid...but if you just started S&S, and also just started doing swings, be patient. The program is a long-term, do it most days one, and you'll get plenty from it by just following the instructions very carefully and advancing at exactly the right pace for you. Lots of people try to rush it, but the ones who get the most from it just practice regularly and follow the cues. Meeting the various standards is a nice marker every now and then, but just practicing several times a week is where the benefit lies. Good luck!

Video says unavailable. Change permissions to unlisted, or public?

OK I see it now, thanks

Looks pretty good. You've definitely got the right idea with using hip power, and an explosive upswing. Your upper body is forcing things a bit though. Try focusing on letting the kettlebell be more of an extension of your arms, and your arms like ropes. Let the momentum of the bell help your timing, so that it pops up to the top of the swing (on the momentum of your hips snapping to full extension), floats for a microsecond, and then starts to fall while you are still standing in a vertical plank... until you feel your upper arm reconnect to your ribcage, THEN quickly move your hips back into the hinge for the backswing. Make sense?

As for your original question, I think either one could work, practicing 1 hand or heavier 2 hand swings are both productive as you get going with S&S in the early stages. Maybe some of both...

How's it going with the number of sets that you're able to do, how often are you doing an S&S session, and are you doing the other parts (goblet squat/halo/hip bridge warmup, swings, get-ups, and stretches)?

Been doing 4 tines a week. Mixing up weights and rest.

This week did 5 minute snatch test this just due to my lack time.

Tuesday
2 hand swings with 32 kg 10x 10

Thursday I did 1 arm swing on everyminute for 10 min, 20 reps

And repeated that friday.

Im also on a lower push and pull split

Sounds good, let us know if we can help any more as you progress...

A session with an SFG is always a great investment if you have one nearby.

Looking to get certified in boston next year, so Ill looking into a workshop and coach in a few months

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom