all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Single bell complexes for mass and strength?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Frank Matthews

Level 4 Valued Member
I am past simple and working with a 40kg bell now. Wondering if anyone could suggest a complex I could use to carry on progressing whilst I practice s&s a couple of times per week please? I do not have the money to double up on my bells either!!

I am past simple and working with a 40kg bell now. Wondering if anyone could suggest a complex I could use to carry on progressing whilst I practice s&s a couple of times per week please? I do not have the money to double up on my bells either!!

Look up the strength aerobics article on here... something like
clean->sqt->press->snatch, then switch arms.. use talk test/MAF or EMOM

Thanks for your replies. Should have said, I'm looking for something that will put a bit of size on as well as strength. And just a change from s&s all the time really. Doesn't have to be Kettlebell...a bodyweight complex type routine would work too!

Hello,

Strength aerobics is a nice guideline:

I found that performing ladders of 3 with C&P and pistols (weighted or not), for an extended period of time, work well. Done with nasal breathing this is not really taxing, but gives plenty of volume, strength and endurance. Using nasal breathing permits me to really pace the practice: not too fast, not to slow, very "LSD-oriented".

Mass highly depends on your calorie intakes

Kind regards,

Pet'

Strength aerobics(clean,press,squat) ladder could be good idea..

Use 5-10rm bell.. single or double. Both will do the job.

Do 1,2,3 ladders 20mins 2-3 times a week and try to add at least one rep every week.. start with easy pace... you could use also heavy, light medium days. On easy days do only singles, med days do 1,2 and on heavy do 1,2,3 ladders.

Sample weeks...

2x1,2,3
2x1,2,3+1,2
3x1,2,3
3x1,2,3+1,2

Week 5 deload and retest your press RM. This is more strength protocol, but If you keep the effort high you will gain some size too.. (hopefully)
It's very hard thing to do.

This should work.

Actually I think I'll do it myself with single 36kg after my current plan.

Thank you all. I might have a go at the bodyweight strength aerobics protocol just for a change. I just need to learn to do a pistol now......?

The ladders on the strength aerobics for me took too long using up to 3reps (I did SW->clean->long push press)

I just do straight sets based on how many movements I'm doing... if it's just 2 or 3 I do x2 each, imo once you get above 3 movements you need to cut the reps down to just x1... otherwise you get glycolitic after about 10-12 min... I also think doing like a chain is better than complex style, the chain keeps the fatigue down better

Just my experience though!

Hello,

I think it really depends on what you are after.

This kind of complexes or circuits is not really designed to provide max strength development. It will provide a strength increase to a extent though, but and above all will provide some aerobic conditioning as well. This is why performing it 30 minutes or so may be interesting.

Assuming we only go 'moderately' heavy (such as ROP) a greater volume is required to gain strength and endurance.

Kind regards,

Pet

Thanks for your replies. Should have said, I'm looking for something that will put a bit of size on as well as strength. And just a change from s&s all the time really. Doesn't have to be Kettlebell...a bodyweight complex type routine would work too!
I really like the Quick and the Dead program and it has worked great for me as a follow-on to S&S after that program stalled for me at Timeless Simple. I have been surprised by how much muscle I have put on after just six weeks. It definitely has a lot more hypertrophy than S&S.

And there are two other things that made it a good break from S&S for me. First of all, the variety in the workouts (you roll a dice for the reps and for modifications) is invigorating after six months of the very steady diet of Simple and Sinister. Second, since it is only three days a week there is a lot more room for additional work. That could be running or a sport. In my case, it is weekly 5x5 MPs plus enough get-ups to keep strong with that lift.

The link above is to my log and I have detailed other thoughts about the program over the last six weeks there as well.

I second @Tim Randolph's recommendation of Q&D for both mass and strength (and mitochondria) - particularly the 10/2 protocol

The sessions are short, energizing, and easy to recover from - a smart way to switch things up while still allowing you to do S&S 2-3x/week

Am into the fourth week of 10/2 snatching (with the odd set or two of swings and push-ups before/after) after a long block of A&A - and the hypertrophy is already noticeable: shoulders now really starting to look and feel back to those of the rugby player I was half a lifetime ago

Q&D snatching also has WTH strength effects for the press and pull-up

I really like the Quick and the Dead program and it has worked great for me as a follow-on to S&S after that program stalled for me at Timeless Simple. I have been surprised by how much muscle I have put on after just six weeks. It definitely has a lot more hypertrophy than S&S.

And there are two other things that made it a good break from S&S for me. First of all, the variety in the workouts (you roll a dice for the reps and for modifications) is invigorating after six months of the very steady diet of Simple and Sinister. Second, since it is only three days a week there is a lot more room for additional work. That could be running or a sport. In my case, it is weekly 5x5 MPs plus enough get-ups to keep strong with that lift.

The link above is to my log and I have detailed other thoughts about the program over the last six weeks there as well.
I also noticed nice hypertrophy effects when I did q&d snatches and some push ups afterwards... My push up protocol included easy days(2x5 bw), medium days(lighter band 5x5) and heavy day(10 total reps with heavy band)..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom