all posts post new thread

Old Forum Sinister fail ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Al Ciampa

Level 7 Valued Member
Because it's our failures that are most instructive ...

http://youtu.be/zzhip0OhpBo

(turn off the sound, the "fitness" class next door is annoying)

Most of the swings were solid ... 86-90, and 96-100 were crappy.  When I loaded up for the get up, everything was still quaking.  I just collapsed at the top.  The get ups are not my problem, doing get ups after the swings are my problem. When doing get ups alone, I can do the 10 with the 48 in under 7min.  When I tried to transition to elbow, something in my core said, "No Sir, not today", but I kept going.  When I got to the top, it was over.

I haven't been training for this, or anything really, save for snatching for the TSC this week.  Last month, I pulled a low-13min S&S with the 40 (sub-5min swings, 1min rest, 7+min get ups).  And, the 48 has been feeling light lately, so I thought, let's do it.

I attribute my recently improved conditioning to the LSD work I have been doing with the ruck.  This performance just wasn't within my reach prior to that.  I suspect that 3-4 more intelligent sessions will allow me to do the get ups in time.  We'll see ...  I hate that clock.

Al-  That was a HUGE effort!  Thanks so much for posting that video.  Now I can believe it maybe can be achieved.  I'm trying to transition from 32kg to 40kg and that's a BIG jump for me.

I had a fail this AM :]  I cranked out my 32kg swings and then got to kneeling with 40kg on my right and had to lower like you did to shoulder.  I got 40kg up with my left while lying back down and then just lowered it back to earth.  But it sure felt good to have that heavy KB in my hands.

My TGU's are stronger than my swings and my PR is 1L, 1R with 40kg after 32kg swings.  Have not tried 40kg swings yet.

But TGU after hard swings, just WOW.  I'll need to keep working at it and dig deep to transition to 40kg.

Thanks again and MASSIVE RESPECT.

One more comment....  I'd have to say that work with 48kg is one of the clearest pictures of "Anti-Fragile" I've seen :]

Solid work Al.

Is your current training based upon your 'hardening a soldier for combat' article.

I'm interested primarily in including rucking in my training but rarely have the time for more than an hour at a time. Would several fast 1 hour rucks serve the same purpose as two longer ones?

Keith

Wow. Very impressive. I'm still working on 16 kg. I am working on 16 now. But this is one of my goals.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Al. Obviously wasn't your intention to film yourself having a wobbly and the fact you've shared it shows your depth of character and illustrates the value of this forum, and that of strongfirst, that it isn't consumed by ego. Hope you've recovered!

Michael ... I've always been strong in the get up, meaning, there isn't the same disparity between my get ups and swings, as witnessed in many folks.  But placing the get ups after the swings allows me understand the term, "Evil Russian" :]

Keith ... yes, and no ... lots of chassis rebuilding and swings, less oft get ups, some snatches, 2-3 packs per week.  Packing can put you into overtraining quick if you're not careful.  When say you "purpose", what do you mean?  This will direct my answer.

Bobby/Rick ... thanks!  Don't look at the mountain, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and you'll surmount it.

Awesome effort... your swings remind me of when I started swinging the 32kg.... the first few sets were fine and after that they started going downhill....  more motivation to keep pushing forward and getting stronger!

I honestly love seeing people give an all out effort and come up short.  Reminds us all we are human and can/need to get stronger.

Alistair,

Thank you, Sir.  Those are kind words.

I was confident that I would hit this mark.  I don't train with a clock, but my recent performance with the 40, the fact that the 48 had been feeling light (now I think this has to do with grip), and doing some work to keep me from overtraining for the TSC lent for a go ... so I put the phone up to document it.

Sharing failures is an act that strengthens ...

Thank you for the reply Sir.

Sorry for my lack of clarity.

By 'Would several fast 1 hour rucks serve the same purpose as two longer ones?', I meant would the conditioning effect be similar.

Keith

That is impressive! The fact that you can focus that well and work that hard with that nonsensical zumba instructor yelling "wheew!" in the background shows, you are indeed the MAN. I was in the gym on base a while back working ROP and my commander (cardio addict) comes in and starts T-25 on the combatives mats. I had to go outside and just finish in the rain. Bless their misguided low T hearts.

Travis/Arryn/Mike ... thanks!

Craig ... I didn't "hear" the exercise class until I watched the video.  T-25 ... I won't even ask.

Keith ... I'm not sure - not that several 4mi walks wouldn't have a positive benefit, but I don't know how this compares to 90+min of LSD.  Lydiard thought that you needed to get over 2 hours.  I would imagine a number of factors come into play, including the metabolic flexibility of your mitochondria.  If that's all the time you have, then you have to work within that.  As long as you keep the walks slow enough to be oxidative (don't run), but heavy enough to keep your HR ~120-130, you should see a benefit within several months' time, depending upon your current condition.  Let us know how it goes ...

Great work Al, there was no fail here.  You looked strong, and were smart enough not to mess with the get down, which in my opinion is much harder with a heavier bell.

Need to watch this for inspiration next time I don't want to go heavy on TGU's

This is a nitpick that has little to  no bearing in reality because this is pure beastly, but is it not IMPOSSIBLE to maintain maximal power output for the whole duration of the swings?

I want to see one guy who isn't doing GS lite by the end of the set with the 48kg.

If you need inspiration to do some heavy swings - this is the video.

Brian ... thanks.  Not a smart decision to bail - you can't see it, but my core collapsed, followed by my shoulder.  I simply guided it away from smashing my pumkin.

Sean ... I don't think that this is a nitpick.  My answer: I dont know, but this is worth discussing.

My observations:

- when I do swings on the min, my last 10 are as powerful as my first 10, even after 20min

- when I use the the 40 for S&S, the final swings feel like the initial swings (subjective)

- however the swings seem to the onlookers, I can report that probably the first 60 swings were all very close in force production; after 60 only the first 5 or so swings of a set were strong 

- this goal has been in place for less than a year

The question really is: can anyone's physiology adapt such that 10s of recovery after banging on the 48 for almost 20s permit another powerful set of 10 ... repeatedly for almost 5min?  This is the first time that I attempted Sinister ...  the density is the killer.  I would estimate that just back in July, I didn't own the grip to pull this off.  So, I am adapting.  I'm curious as to just what training effect this one session had on me.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow?

Think what another year of training would do.  I own a 56kg ;]

Thanks for taking the time to post this Al. Obviously wasn’t your intention to film yourself having a wobbly and the fact you’ve shared it shows your depth of character and illustrates the value of this forum, and that of strongfirst, that it isn’t consumed by ego. Hope you’ve recovered!
+1!  It's always good to know the giants sometimes struggle, too.

Al, great swings demo!  Sure miss you doing that in person around here.

Can't believe I'm the first to notice this, but your final set of swings was with the right hand since you started with left, and first GU attempt was with the right.  You could get yourself another 30 sec recovery starting with the opposite hand.  Maybe that would make a difference?

@Craig, your comment made me laugh because 1), I had the same experience today, doing S&S in the corner of the gym with the fitness class running around doing cardio, and 2), a year ago, that would have been me in the fitness class.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom