all posts post new thread

Old Forum Sinister fail ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Al thanks for replying, apologies my question was a little vague, but your response was informative. Having completed Simple in March, I've just cycled back to S&S with the goal to complete Sinister. Your video and reply are an inspiration and motivation.

Matt ... I like this discussion.  I'm wondering if the 48 will eventually feel like the 40 does now.  There is obviously a ceiling on progress.  Maybe I need to start working in the 56?

80kg press?  Wow!  (we're talking single-arm, right?)

Banza/Stuart/Michael ... you're all welcome.  Stay with your practice.

Al, you bring excellent stuff to this forum, thanks for that.  This video was the first I have seen of one attempting the Sinister Goals and you are darn close, thanks for sharing.  I really enjoy S&S and while I'm on my bus bench program at the moment (Dan John's 10k swings program using the 32kg), I look forward to getting back on the park bench with S&S and the 40kg.  I may have to steal your tips that you gave Banzai because I found after bumping up to 40kg I can't use that bell every day because the volume wears me down, I'll try adapting your numbers for when I jump back on S&S.

Banzai, looking back through my workout log, you are experiencing the same things I did with the 32kg on S&S.  I got stuck on a plateau for a while with the 32kg and it took me a while but after being stuck for a couple weeks I did what I should have done much earlier and I re-read S&S.  Pavel has us all covered...the key to breaking through plateaus (for me) were the test days when you drop down a bell from your typical weight and do as many uninterrupted 2 hand swings as you can.  Each time I did the test day (I believe Pavel recommends once every couple weeks) I was able to break through the plateau.  Once I implemented the test days regularly (every other week) I didn't hit plateaus any more and my times continued to drop.  I think it's the "flipping the crazy switch" workout that wakes up your body from the groove you had settled into...that's what worked for me anyways.

<a title="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwevO5VnoE" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwevO5VnoE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwevO5VnoE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwevO5VnoE" title="will smith">

Al - thanks for your posts, always thought provoking, motivating and guiding towards growth.  I noticed when you began the TGU, on the floor with the bell extended in the pressed position, that your shoulder did not seem to be fully packed - or should I say that your shoulder was not pushing into the floor and I wonder if this, beyond the fatigue, might have been enough to take away from the instability you experienced at the top position.  I only mention this because I noticed a difference I my own getups, where I was in the habit of setting my shoulder into what I thought was a packed position, but noticed that there was a space between the back of my shoulder and the floor.  I thought of putting my shoulders into the same squeeze which I do when performing a flat bench press.  I have been making the adjustment the past few weeks and at this point I cannot discern a big difference in performance, but I have not gone beyond my comfort zone with 5 per side with the 40kg, so I haven't tested the idea with a heavy bell.  before moving to the 48kg I wanted to look at myself and try to find potential energy leaks, this seemed to be one, so I wanted to make the adjustment before moving up.  I might be headed into a dead end or an inconsequential adjustment, but if that's the case I can check it off the list.  at this point it certainly has not hurt my performance and if it adds to the stability of the movement right out of the gate then I believe it may help maintain stability throughout.  thoughts?

This thread is inspiring.  Just did 10x10 bulldog swings, hardstyle.  Been too long.  Back when I trained a lot of heavy swings & snatches closed the COC #2 x 9 on the right.  Always wondered if really heavy swings (56 and 48kg) would close a COC #3.  Simple and sinister.

Crush 125 32kg snatches!

Jon,

Brother from another mother?  I like that idea of one brick at a time.  Don't focus on the sinister goal, focus on each and every swing, like bricks ... and the wall will get built.  Awesome!

Marchese,

I want to say that, when fresh, I don't push my shoulder into the floor at the start of the GU ... I pull my scaps toward my waist, and each other - engaging the lats.

However, I can't remember what the hell was going on when I began that GU, due to the delirious feeling I had after those swings.  I relied on my training to take over just then.  I do like how the format of S&S - GUs after swings - forces you to work while challenging your focus.

Mr. Ciampa, not one afraid of constructive criticism I decided to implement your advice immediately.  I grabbed the 32K today and went to work.  My swings went much like your video with the beast except that I made sure to be "just a little short of ready" before beginning each set.  I took my time with the TGU's and got 9, the last 2 on the left side were again much like your video where I had to set the bell down when coming back to the floor.  I'll report back in 90 days, thanks to everyone here for your input and inspiration.

Banzai,

Fantastic.

I will leave you with this sarcastic comment to mull over: "of course you did day 1 with the 32 ..."

Train easy.

Mr. Ciampa, noted, the load sequence is 55/32K/55/45/55 for a 5 day week.  Since I trained yesterday with my McGuyverized 60 lb. KB, I figured this was day 2 and went to the 32K.  Since my schedule is erratic, would a 3 day week load look like 55/32/45 and a 4 day sequence be 55/32/55/45?  Right after my practice I dismantled McGuyver.  Now wishing I would have taken a picture of it and made it my profile pic!

Yep Al,

That was about 80kgs single hand.

Interesting in the context of this thread – in general, he failed a few times in his particular cycle, whether squatting, pressing, bench (I learnt so much as his spotter from this - though my life was in danger at times… :)). He was able to learn from it, make the next lift and got stronger etc. So it was quite productive – as you’ve shown.

And secondly training around him, and as you’ve also shown – it is quite inspirational to train amongst “freaks” whether in person or via this forum. So thanks for sharing.

John K - with respect to the 100 swing sessions, that was exactly my experience.  Some kind of ratcheting effect going on there.

Mr. Ciampa ask me to report back in 90 days.  Here's my progress:

As you advised I do not worry about time when practicing with the 32K.  I am now able to do 10 consecutive TGU and 100 swings.  I have recorded times on these only as a bench mark and when doing them only go to the next set “just before I’m ready”.  11:09 is the best I’ve done on the TGU and 7:28 for the swings.  I did have a short period about one month ago that I had to quite training due to some hip pain.  That has healed and I have been back training for about two weeks.  I feel as though I own the 55 lb. and the 45 lb. has become a toy.  One thing that I do notice is that I can’t seem to put a full workout together where I feel strong through both movements with the 32K.  When the swings feel strong the TGU seem hard and vice versa.

I haven't had the progress that I had hoped for since starting S&S in May.  I had hoped to have reached the sinister goal and began the right of passage program by now.  As Mr. Ciampa stated, "It's simple, but not easy".  Train strong...

Banzaiengr,

I went through the same thing, I find see-sawing back and forth works pretty well.  Some days prioritize one, other days the other.  So if one day you do the swings hard and they feel good but your TGU is not good, consider throwing in a set or two with the 24 while doing your swings so you can rock the TGU and vice versa.  One thing I can share with my own progression that may or may not apply to you is that I really took my time with the 32.  I made sure hitting the simple times was dead easy...like something I could do the morning after a night of hard drinking on four hours of sleep easy...before upgrading to the 40 (part discipline...part finances.)  My progress with the 40 is muuuuuch easier and smoother than with the 32.  My 32 progression was really stop-start-stall-start because I was maybe a little bit aggressive and eager with it.  I learned my lesson and took my sweet time and as a result the 40 is coming along swimmingly and doesn't take hardly anything out of me.  Meanwhile the 32 itself feels like an absolute joke...which is bizarre because it wasn't that long ago that it scared the bejeezus out of me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom