all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Sit-Up/FitnessTraining for the Army

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dat Do

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi there,

I am looking to join the reserves and the fitness test is simply 45 sit-ups with the feet held with a 3 second cadence per rep. However this is only the pre fitness test and during the actual training, I'll need to be able to do 100 with the same cadence.

I know sit-ups are a questionable exercise in regards to back health and was wondering on what peoples experience with them is and any recommendations for me acing my test?

I've been doing situps for a long time and have never had any back issues. I like Stew's training referenced by @mikhael for peaking right before a PFT. Alternatively, I like the Fighter Pull-Up Program (FPP) method too. However, for base training, I prefer ab rollers and low rep weighted sit-ups.

I always hated situps because I have a very bony sacrum (weird, I know), but have never had any problems with hanging leg raises/bent knee raises in terms of back issues. If anything, I think they felt good on the back (It's kind of like a bottom-up situp). But anyway, remember that training effect is specific so to get better at situps you might need to do them.
I also remember Pavel talking about Janda situps being better for your back since the hip flexors don't fire as much.
Well... this post probably doesn't help you much, but good luck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom