all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Skinny fat guy here. Need advice. I want to look good for the summer.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

linuxguy1010

Level 4 Valued Member
I apologize if this is not the right section for this.

I have a gym membership by the way. My diet is squared away. No issues with it.

I also own two kettlebells 16kg and a 24kg. I have a goal of getting a six pack. I just want to be strong and look good when I go swimming. Right now I'm embarrassed and feel like I have to wear a shirt when I go swimming. I currently weigh 170 pounds and 5'7" tall. Most of the weight has gone to my head and my stomach.

I have looked at Simple and Sinister but sadly not enough pictures of what people look like after. Also looked at the 10,000 kettlebell swings program. No pictures either. Not trying to be a troll. I'm just tired of looking pudgy. I want to have a hard body.

I love INTENSE workouts by the way.

Thank you in advance.

"My diet is squared away."

Explain?

How many calories are you eating daily? How big is your caloric deficit?

You can't out a crappy diet. Most people really have no clue just how much they are over or under eating.

I hate to be blunt, but the time to start working on a summer six pack was March, or earlier. I don't say this to be discouraging, but simply to point out what a realistic timeline is for most people. You can certainly make excellent progress in a few months, but if you push yourself too hard with the expectation that you can trim down and look great in just 4 weeks or something, you're more likely to end up burned out or injured and accomplish less in the long run. Speaking of the long run, the best advice I can give you is to not to worry about this summer, and focus on habits that will see you through the rest of your life. A couple other pointers (take em or leave em) I can give you are:

-Body composition is a 80-90% diet. Focus on food quality first (if you haven't cut out sugar and soft drinks, do that) and once that stops working it's time to work on a caloric deficit as pointed out by @1FG . Calorie tracking is one way, intermittent fasting is another, and there are endless versions and combinations of both. The most important thing is to keep it easy. If you make big, difficult changes, you are more likely to fail. Every time you fail, you reinforce the habit of failure. Make it easy to succeed; even if the successes are small, they will build on each other. Personally, I do intermittent fasting, generally eat "clean,"and don't count calories, and I easily maintain visible abs (Turkish get ups put the abs there, the fasting makes them visible). Take my experience with a grain of salt, as I'm 24 and have never been significantly overweight.

-As far as exercise programs, I'm partial to S&S, but there are a lot of good programs. I would certainly advise something like S&S, by which I mean something that A) includes resistance training, B) is relatively easy to do a regular basis (make success easy, I can't emphasize that enough) and C) teaches you how to move well and avoid injury. Of course, since you already have the equipment at home, I would just advise you to get your swing and get up check by an SFG (preferably in person, otherwise here on the forum) and then start S&S, but I'm biased. For your goals, the exercise component is far less important the diet component.

Hard bodies are earned by consistency, not won as a prize for being maximally uncomfortable. Good luck on your journey!

I lost 18 pounds in a week. Following intermittent fasting and eating a Ketogenic Diet. I feel great and have good energy.
Of course YMMV.
I just don't want to look skinnier. I want to look strong and ripped.

Maybe I should sticks with the basics. S&S one day and push ups, pull-ups and squats the next day?

Well, it would appear that your diet is pretty dialed in. You can probably just ignore most of my first bullet point then. Except the part about making success/failure a habit, that is still relevant, just generally speaking. Try to be keenly aware of anything that might cause you to pendulum back the other direction, but hey, if it's working, I'd be a fool to tell you to stop ;).
Muscle building will take a little time, but S&S will put the muscles where they need to go. My two cents for you exercise program is to just do pure S&S for a couple months, get the skills near-perfect, and then decide if you need to add in more stuff. There's squats in the warm up, and typically when people do swings and TGUs, they increase their pull ups, and maintain/increase push ups and squats. Of course, if you lose weight, all that stuff will go up anyways...

Reactions: 1FG
S&S works. S&S will help with body composition. Therefore:

1. Follow S&S by the book, don't overthink, don't add, don't take away.

2. Enjoy your results.

-S-

I think people put to much emphasis on the gym for fat loss. An hour workout is not going to melt your fat away, what about the other 15 hours of the day you are awake. Most people who try to aggressively lose fat lose a lot of muscle as well. You have to eat effectively, move more, and sit less. Walk, work, and be active.

Full disclosure, I am 5'10", have a wide frame, and over 240lbs. I am not fat, I have fat. My conditioning is good, I am so close to the SSST, and I have good flexibility. Strength has been my primary goal for a few years. I have been under 200lbs prior to my strength goals. I do not feel I have to wear a shirt at the beach.

If looking lean on the beach is your goal I respect that. But, a quote I have adopted from this esteemed forum is, "The lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep."

Just my experience here... I've been on The Warrior Diet for the best part of a year now and frankly believe it is the best approach to eating (I've not tried that many 'diets', but the results have been that good for me that I wouldn't dream of changing it).

Short story time:

Despite following the Warrior Diet for probably 8 months or so, there was an understandable blip during the week between Christmas Eve and New Years Day, where I must admit, I indulged A LOT (I'm perhaps the biggest chocoholic you'd ever meet; people are always amazed at how much I can put away). I went from just under 65kg and about 10%BF (faint abs in dim light), to about 69-70kg with a food baby by New Years Day.

With a view to box competitively at 64kg in early February, I had just over a month to sort myself out, so I got back into the Warrior Diet eating pattern, with food choices which consisted of nuts (almonds and pistachios are my favourites) and veggies (not including potatoes; too starchy (and I'm not that keen on them anyway)) as staples, as well as fruit and whey protein. I ate as many nuts and vegetables as I wanted during the overeating phase with no calorie counting whatsoever, and I always ate until I was very full. I also did S&S daily with the 24kg, slowly introducing 32kg get-ups, for my strength and conditioning work (on top of boxing skill sessions - about 4/5 per week).

By the time fight day came along, I was 64kg with 8/9%BF (faint abs in any light; I say 'faint' due to the fact that I wasn't (and still am not) very muscular, just lean and wiry).

In summary:

The Warrior Diet + daily S&S with an emphasis on healthy fats, protein and lots of vegetables burned fat pretty quickly in my case without having to suffer or starve myself.

I should note that at only 5'8/5'9 I was on the skinny side at 64kg and looking at photos of myself, I probably wouldn't want to get that small again (I'd want to get that lean again, but just with a couple kilos more muscle perhaps - a lot of my friends said that I looked ill, despite the fact that I felt great), but I don't think that over the course of January that I lost much (if any) muscle. I'd imagine that to build/maintain a little more muscle than I did then a few days each week of higher carb consumption might be in order, or perhaps even more protein overall.

Just my experience and attitude towards eating and how very important it is for body composition. I hope that some of it may be of use to you! Best of luck! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom