all posts post new thread

Barbell Slamball Helicopter with Dr. McGill

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
Slamball Helicopter with Dr. McGill

This is an interesting core training method that utilized a pulsing effect; turning on and off the core muscles.

Weight Plate Attached to a Car Strap

This is the Do It Yourself, Home Made version of the Slamball that is demonstrated in the McGill video above.

4 ft Car Strap

I have a 4 ft Car Strap and perform the Helicopter Swing with a 2.5 to 5 lb weight attached. You don't need a lot of weight.

That because swing magnifies the true weight; Force = Mass X Acceleration. I perform them with a 2.5 to 5 lb weight attached to the Car Strap.

You want a fix length Car Strap.

McMaster-Carr

If you can't find one at Walmart, or some automotive store or one that caters to construction companies (like IMSCO/ Industrial Municipal Supply CO ). McMaster's has them.

The cost of a 4 ft McMaster's Car Strap is $12.82 plus shipping. The 4 ft Car Strap is rated for 1200 to 2400 lbs depending on how you use it.

Spud Suspension Straps

Spud Straps are used for exercise like Suspended Good Morning, demonstrated in the video above.

Car Straps are the same as the Spud Suspension Strap with the same weight rating. However, the Car Straps cost a lot less.

Or you could buy some 1" sling material used for climbing for even less. $0.33 / ft
4,000 lbf

... or nearer 2,000lbf once you've tied it into a loop to actually use it. That always tickled me.

On a different note, it's hard to see how he's rigged it in that suspended GM video, but 575lb nearly freefalling perhaps a foot and half onto what could be a 12 foot static sling in a loop ... I wouldn't fancy doing that on a sling that might only be rated to 1200lbf. Unless my rusty rope maths is far off.

Anyway, I love that helicopter technique. That's Georges St-Pierre, I think.

... or nearer 2,000lbf once you've tied it into a loop to actually use it. That always tickled me.

On a different note, it's hard to see how he's rigged it in that suspended GM video, but 575lb nearly freefalling perhaps a foot and half onto what could be a 12 foot static sling in a loop ... I wouldn't fancy doing that on a sling that might only be rated to 1200lbf. Unless my rusty rope maths is far off.

Anyway, I love that helicopter technique. That's Georges St-Pierre, I think.
True enough about the knot... but still plenty strong

@pet'

It was part of a circuit routine. I stopped because it seemed redundant next to the other oblique and posterior chain stuff I was doing. Also very hard to get a feel for progression. I guess if it were looked at as therapeutic is another way to go, sort of like macebell work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom