all posts post new thread

Slater’s log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Slatersan

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all,

I am going to start logging my training on here for accountability and feedback.

My background: I have been lifting weights for 20 years (i am 33), practicing martial arts for 7 years (muay thai and grappling), I am 5’11 185 lb, my barbell lift numbers from last year:

DL - 405 lb
Squat - 335 lb
Bench - 315 lb
OHP - 195 lb

i have done timeless simple. I havent attempted anything further than that with S & S.
I have done Q + D twice. Both programs gave me fantastic results and work really well with my martial arts practice.

I started getting in to strongfirst and Pavel from listening to a Joe Rogan podcast with Firas Zahabi. Before I normally did more powerlifting type workouts but i have several old injuries (both knees and both shoulders) that kept giving me issues when mixing heavy and frequent barbell lifting with mma type training. This is what lead me to simple and sinister.

Due to the covid lockdown i have been using a 16 kg and 24 kg only. I did six weeks of Q and D and now i am starting ROP but without the conditioning swings since I do muay thai shadowboxing and heavy bag rounds on days i am not strength training.

Today’s training:

Sapate (Indian wrestler exercise, something like a burpee but not explosive) - 20 reps
S & S warm up

C & P ladders: 24 kg 5 sets 2 rungs.
Pull ups: 3 pull ups after each set of C & P.

Light stretching

Going to throw these in all my training sessions. They seem to be a really solid way to make up for not being able to grapple right now because of the lockdowns.
I stole this video from another thread on here.

I decided to just do the variety day instead of muay thai training today. My body needs a few days to recover from everything. I haven’t been making rest and recovery as much of a priority due to boredom from the lockdown.

Warm up:
Extra mobility work and calisthenics. (My hamstrings were extra tight this morning.)
A few minutes on the airdyne slow paced.

Loaded cleans 24kg 5 x 5
Get ups 24 kg 5 x 1 after each set of cleans
Snatches 24 kg (3,2,1)

Light stretch

Warm up:
Lots of dynamic stretching with a emphasis on kicks and hamstrings.
Jump rope
Sapate

10 - 3 minute - Muay Thai rounds on “Bob” (basically a heavy bag that is shaped like a man named Bob).

Static stretching with emphasis on hamstrings.

I have been increasing my stretching every day after training and at night. I am making good progress with it and my hamstrings aren’t constantly super tight. I believe a big part of the problem is so much inactivity due to the lockdown. The amount of stretching I normally did isn’t quite enough for my current situation.

Warm up:
Body weight squats and push ups - 75 each
Dynamic stretching

C & P 24kg ladders (3 ladders 4 rungs)
10 pull ups after every ladder 30 total

light stretching and breathing

Stopped after 3 ladders so I can keep adding more volume each week since i only have a 24 kg i don't want to max out on ROP ladders right away. I didnt realize how much I love C& P until i started this. Once the lockdown is lifted and i am back to full grappling and muay thai training i may do minimalist training with them in it. Havent quite decided on it yet. Due to my shoulder injuries ive had i wouldnt do the ROP type of programming while doing the mma stuff. I will cross that bridge when I get closer to that.

Total rest day today.

Going to do bjj tomorrow with my buddy who lives by me. A lot of groups are already starting to train together. Neither of us want to train with the big groups yet so we will start rolling with just each other to gradually try to get back to normal life.

I am in Texas and the state has started to reopen. The gyms should be open the 18th.

I had pizza last night and watched a great UFC event on tv. My legs feel much better. I have been making sure to eat super clean since the lockdown started with minimal “cheat” days. I definitely needed the extra calories.

Finally did jiu jitsu.
Felt amazing!
Did two 40 minute rounds.
Will probably need to change the program i am doing since i plan on doing bjj twice a week and muay thai at least twice a week.
Might just do an easy strength typed deal but twice a week or just go back to S and S. Not sure yet but i do know i feel great after being able to train bjj for the first time in months.

Rest day today.
Still sore from bjj. Cant wait to do it again.
yesterday i did some upper body hypertrophy as i am making a new program for my self that'll work with mma training. It’ll be based off ROP but very different at the same time.

Alright so i started working again and Texas is starting to open back up. I have been going to the gym. Doing some jiu jitsu with one friend and doing muay thai type stuff with another. Not quite ready for big mma classes yet. Still want to know what exactly is going to happen with covid and the reopening.

i have been doing an easy strength type program but three days a week. The reps are around 10-15.

Push
Pull
Hinge
Squat
Carry

i vary the type of days i do between easy, medium, hard. The gym isn’t that big so i cant actually plan the workouts or the intensity so it always varies randomly. Today all the barbells were in use and i am a little sore from muay thai pads for the first time in over two months.
so todays workout looked like:

warm up:
Dynamic stretching, easy kettlebell circuit with light weight.

Workout:
4 rounds
5 reps each exercise

Double kb cleans 20 kg
Double kb front squat 20 kg
Double kb presses 20 kg

5 sets 5 reps of various grip pull ups.

Farmers walk with a 90 lb and 100 lb kb walked until it felt hard and then switched hands and did it again.

light stretch

Warmup:
Easy kettlebell circuit

Practice:
Rack pull 3 sets 3 reps 315lb (several warm up sets building up to 315)
Military press 3 sets 3 reps 135 lb
Pull ups 5 sets 5 reps various grips
Farmers walk 45 lb kbs just walked around the gym two different times until it felt hard.

light stretch

it has been three months since i have lifted 315 lb. Felt great.

Rest day today.

i am doing a targeted keto diet now so i am making sure to rest a bit more as i am not fully used to it. I feel great though and my energy has been steady and consistent throughout the day.

bjj training tomorrow

Training partner cancelled our mma practice today due to an injury so i did tomorrows workout today.

warm up
Easy kb circuit

goblet squat 70lb 3 sets 5 reps
One arm swings 70lb 3 sets 5 reps each hand
Bench press 3 sets 3 reps went up to 225 Lb
Barbell shrugs 3 sets 5 reps went up to 225 lb
Toes to bar 3 sets 5 reps

light stretch

Warm up:
Easy kettlebell circuit

hang clean 5 sets 3 reps
Kb push press 40 lb 3 sets 5 reps
Pull ups 5 sets 5 reps
Farmer walk around gym twice 45 lb kbs

Warm up
Easy kb circuit

straight bar deadlifts worked up to 315 lb 3 x3
Front squat 135 lb 3 x 3
Bench press 225 lb 3 x 3
pull ups 5 sets 5 various grips
Farmer walk 45s around gym then 90 lb and 100 lb twice, switched hands for second set.

Felt great to deadlift again and to be able to do 315 pretty easily. My strength is going up fast and feeling great. Not beat up. My mma school will be back to normal full training next week. Id like to be able to keep a similar strength and conditioning plan going but may need to throw in S and S for one or two of the days. I will have to see how my recovery goes.

I am now on a keto type diet. Never staying in ketosis but definitely in ketosis a lot. I may need to up the carbs once bjj and muaythai start back up. More so the muay thai. Just enjoying the progress i am making so far.

Really solid session today. I trained in ketosis. I didnt have any preworkout carbs. I wanted to really test it out and it went great.

warm up:
Easy kb circuit

Goblet squat 70 lb 5 sets 5 reps
One hand swing 70 lb 5 sets 5 reps each hand. (High power reps)
Kb OHP 70 lb 3 sets 3 reps each hand (grinding reps)
Dumbbell Rows 3 sets 10 reps 90 lb
Farmers walk 45 lb both hands
One armed Suitcase walk 100lb
prowler 100 yards twice (no extra weight on it. Just a nice steady pace the whole way like an easy jog)

Took a little internet hiatus because of all the negativity around.
Today is a rest day.
I have still been doing an easy strength type program three times a week. I have been doing jiu jitsu and kickboxing as well. The easy strength type program has been working really well with the martial art training. If I lift too heavy I do have trouble recovering in time for the martial arts practice so that is something I have to watch for.
I was listening to a Dan John youtube video about programming for boxers. The program I am doing is loosely based off that. That was just doing a hinge, push and pull. I do a squat, hinge, push, pull, carry.

Warm up:
light kettle bell circuit x 3
Halos
Goblet squats
Presses

Workout:
Kettlebell snatches 45 lb 5 sets of 5
Goblet squat 5 sets 5
Behind the neck pull ups 5 sets 5 reps
Farmers walk 100 and 90 lb kettlebells two walks switched hands each walk
5 minute jog

Today:
Rest

Normally I would be doing martial arts type training (bjj and/or Muay Thai) today. I live in Texas and since reopening Covid has come back significantly, is at an all time high, and continuing to rise. I am waiting a bit to see what is happening with all of that to train at the mma gym. I am pretty drained today as well so I am just going to use the day to rest. I am also trying to figure out what kind of programming I will be doing if we are to go in to lockdown again.

Warm up:
Kb circuit x 3
Halos, presses, goblet squats

Workout:
Strongman workout today
Axle Bar clean and press 135lb 6 sets 5 reps
Tire flips 500lb 4 sets 2 reps
Farmers walk 90lb and 100lb two walks to almost failure
High rep zercher squats 135 3 x 15+

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom