all posts post new thread

Slater’s log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I did some bjj today. One hour class. No rolling just technique and drilling the technique.

Was more beat up from yesterday’s workout than I like to be. Not too bad but I will tweak the strongman workout to have less volume. My main goal for my strength and conditioning is to compliment my martial arts training. I enjoyed the strongman approach. I may just plan it next time to have a rest day or light day the next day.

light day. Still sore.

Warm up:
Kb circuit
Halos, presses, goblet squats 3 x 5 reps each

Workout:
Goblet squat 70lb 3 x 5 reps
Rack Pulls 225lb 3 x 5 reps
Jerks with barbell 135lb 3 x 3 reps
Pendlay rows 135lb 3 x 5 reps
Kb curls 2 x 10 reps

Took off Saturday and Sunday from any kind of training. I was feeling sore and drained. Feeling back to normal now. The strongman workout took longer to recover from than I like. I like to be pretty active daily.

Back to garage training. Hopefully not permanently.

I did S & S with a 24 kg. The warm up as it is in the book. Not timed. Rested up between each set. Just a nice and easy (simple) day.
I will mostly like stick with S & S for a bit while I am away from the gym. Mainly for gpp.
I find just doing S & S has the most carry over to jiu jitsu besides doing jiu jitsu of course.

Warm up:
S & S warmup from the book

Workout:
Simple and Sinister with a 24 kg kettlebell.
Did EMOM for both the swings and get ups.
Since my heaviest bell is a 24kg I will mess with the time for intensity variability.

Trying to get back in to the swing of things with having to do garage workouts again. As much as I love simple and sinister I am just not getting enough out of the 24 kg.

warm up:
circuit x 3
presses, squats, RDL, Rows

Workout:
circuit 3 rounds 5 reps each
I did all right side then all left side for each round.

Single 24kg kettlebell.
Cleans, front squat, press, row.

suitcase carry (tied the 24kg and16kg together with my sambo belt)
Two rounds each side

3 sets each arm
24 kg
Snatches x 5
To overhead squat x 5
Two arm rows with sambo belt tied around 24 kg and 16 kg 4 sets 10 reps
Suitcase carry with Same kbs tied together with sambo belt.

One hour of jiu jitsu rolling in my buddys garage. First time in three week. Jiu Jitsu cardio was lagging a bit but it was also 100 degrees out. Felt good to roll again. Hopefully the US government can find a solution to our covid problem here. Feel like I have been stuck in limbo for 5 months.

If there is one thing covid is providing me, it is a lot of variability in my training since things change often with whether or not gyms are open, if covid is spiking and its not safe, if its leveling out and safe again, etc.

I have been going back to the gym.
I am currently doing a variation of the 531 boring but big program. I wanted to get strength and hypertrophy back to where it was and this program is what has always worked the best for me for those two things at the same time.

I will also be going back to bjj and muay thai soon. Havent decided when. Once i decide i will do a week of S and S to get my body ready for it. The boring but big is way too much for me to do with bjj.

Warm up
Kettlebell and bodyweight circuit

Workout
Squat Cleans 95 lb 3 x 5 (the squat racks were full so i did some easy cleans for practice and warm up)

Front squat 3 x 3 up to 205 lb

RDL 4 x 10 135 lb

Leg press 3 x 10-20 reps

Standing calf raises 4 sets 20 reps

Giant Prowler 2 45lb plates on it up and down this long artificial field on the side of the building.

farmer walk with the two plates same distance

Time to start preparing for jiu jitsu next week.

Today i did timeless simple with suitcase carries after.

Warm up:
3 x 5 16kg
Halos
Prying goblets

Practice:
32 kg S & S
Goblet squats 3 x 5
Two arm swings 10 x 10 EMOM
Turkish get ups 5 x 1 each side EMOM

I wanted to see if I could reach the timed simple standard for the get ups. Felt great to know I can get it with no issues or straining my self. I will be working towards timed simple for the majority of my S & C. It gives me a good goal to reach while still being able to do my martial arts practice.

Did bjj today after about a month off.
One hour of drilling technique then 3 x 6 minute rounds of rolling.
Felt great to be back in there. My body was still pretty beat up from doing the 531 program for a couple weeks. Definitely lost some mobility and endurance.

Another day of bjj.
Hour of technique and live drilling from the position we learned.
3 x 6 minute rounds of rolling after that.
Felt great today.

Warm up:
Halos, goblet squats

Practice:
32kg
Goblet squat 3 x 5
One arm swings 10 x 10 (timeless)
Get ups 5 x 1 each side (timeless)

This practice has been the best i have ever felt with S & S. The swings were all good form. The get ups felt easy and that i could add more weight. The swings i need a lot more practice on before moving up. My grips wouldnt be able to handle more yet.

Muay Thai class.

Thai jump rope
Shadowboxing
Pad work
Bag work (burn out)

1st Muay Thai class in a while. Felt good. Glad I’m doing S & S again. The swings got my hips conditioned enough to handle a full class after a long break.

Warm up:
Kettlebell circuit

Practice:
Easy strength day
Deadlifts 3 x 3 up to 315 lbs
Military press 3 x 5 95 lb
Pull ups 3 x 5

My shoulders have been pretty beat up the past few days. Going from 531 to bjj always gives me shoulder issues. Decided to do an easy strength day which I plan to do once a week with S & S. Already noticing the heavy swings helping my deadlifts. 315 felt light and my grips felt great.

Warm up:
Halos and goblet squats

Practice:
32 kg kettlebell
Goblet squat 2 x 5
Two hand swings 10 x 10 low intensity swings
Get ups 5 x 1 each side

Did bjj today.
One hour of technique. 3 x 6 rounds of rolling.

I unfortunately got paired with a guy who didn’t clip his fingernails enough. I have huge gashes around my neck now. So aggravating. Hopefully it heals up fast and I don’t have to take time off. Luckily the skin didn’t really break too much. Just have scratch shaped bruising around my neck. Pretty nasty looking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom