all posts post new thread

Barbell SLDL to Barbell DL strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@pet' It doesn't get cold and slippery very often where I live (like once every 5-6 years) so I haven't had that many opportunities to practice walking on a slippery surface since I've started my current training methodology. I use the SLDL movement pattern while picking light things off of the floor for example, but I do this on purpose to practice it in "real life". but that's the first time I've noticed it kick in reactively.
Does that answer your questions?

Matt

I have made a bit of a strange decision regarding the SLDL. I am going to use the SLDL to prep for the TSC this year, this is mainly due to the fact that I can't afford a gym memebership at the good gym near me (I've cut down my hours so earning a lot less), and I've had enough run ins with how crappy the staff are at the other gym so barbells just aren't an option.
I'm not much of a deadlifter, but I'm following the numbers in the 5TRM article, but splitting the practice over a longer period, Basically doing 3 sessions per fortnight. I'll be using a 24kg+16kg for my usual working weight and 32+20 for my heavier weight. I have no idea if it'll work out well but you have to do what you can with what you have! I'm aiming to pull 275lb at the TSC (like I said not a deadlifter).
If anyone has any advice I'd be more than happy to take it on board.

Hello,

Weighted SLDL and also weighted pistols will serve you well for deadlifting. Of course, S&S is worthy to get you to your goal.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Karen Smith The Bulgarian Split Squat requires I similar amount of flexibility, stability, and strength as the Single Leg Deadlift. Do you practice or advocate the BSS? I cannot do an unassisted Pistol Squat, but I really like bodyweight BSS as a warmup drill, and heavy weighted versions as a strength exercise. I also really like SLDL for the same purposes.

Hello,

This morning, I tried SLDL (with bodyweight only). It is very good as a balance exercise. I guess with weight it can be pretty challenging for core and anti twist.

It is the first time I do it so I still do not know if I have to consider it as a balance / mobility drill or a strength move.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Karen Smith The Bulgarian Split Squat requires I similar amount of flexibility, stability, and strength as the Single Leg Deadlift. Do you practice or advocate the BSS? I cannot do an unassisted Pistol Squat, but I really like bodyweight BSS as a warmup drill, and heavy weighted versions as a strength exercise. I also really like SLDL for the same purposes.

I do them from time to time but do SLDL more often as they require more balance and anti rotation. But yes they could be used to increase your strength.

@Karen Smith, I have been practicing these demon exercises for about 5 or 6 sessions. When would you suggest that I start using a kettlebell in the practice of them? I know I am no where near ready to do so, but I am curious as to when would you recommend to add a kettlebell to them? Oh, and thank you for posting that video on how to perform them, very helpful to me.

Sorry for the delay in replying... I was travel most of Dec.
Once you can do solid technique and maintain your balance for maybe 10/10 BW then you can begin adding a KB, but you also want to make sure that you have the mobility to reach the KB without rounding the back / hunch over to reach the bell. (hinge deeper = more glute work )

@Karen Smith I practiced SLDL, pistols, OAPU and pull ups for about a month to step away from bells for a few weeks. Full disclosure i was using 2 X 24 bells for my SLDL. It just so happened that at the end of that month, it got cold and snowy and slippery where I live. And in jumped another WTH effect of the SLDL. As I walked over icy spots, I could feel myself weight shifting just like in the SLDL, glutes firing, weight on the front leg each step, no concern about slipping. Under stress your body reverts to its most practiced techniques. I'm heading back to hard style/GS practice but will be keeping SLDL in my practice in some capacity that's for sure.

Wow that is great to hear, that is a wonderful WTH effect that I have not heard before. Look forward to hearing more as you work them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom