all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Sleep schedule

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I read that keeping a constant sleep schedule is beneficial. So the same sleep and wake times whether it's the weekend or a week day. But can there be a bit of leeway either way or so? For instance, I need to be up at 4am on Mondays to head to work. Tuesday through Friday I am at my motel so I get up around 5/530am. Weekends I was thinking about getting up around 6ish.

It probably is, but I am thinking quality of sleep is the most important sleep consideration. I travel weekly as well much of the time, and my sleep schedule is all over the map

Hello,

+1 @offwidth

Otherwise, did you consider split sleep thanks to small naps throughout the day ?

It takes time to set up (one month or so) but it is pretty efficient IMO.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My sleep schedule

Put kids in bed
Drink vodka
Feed dog
Pass out 12.30am -1 am
Wake up next day 5 am
Drink Coffee

I can't sleep without Alcohol, my Mrs snores like a buzz saw with a faulty motor and all my old injuries just hurt too much. I can't lay on right side because of missing cartilage in my hip & my neck hurts too much. I can't lay on my left because of a bone graft that's come loose in my left shoulder. If I sleep on my back I get pins and needles all the way down both arms and they feel they are on fire.

8-10 Vodkas & I sleep like a baby.

It probably is, but I am thinking quality of sleep is the most important sleep consideration. I travel weekly as well much of the time, and my sleep schedule is all over the map
I think as a shiftworker my whole working life, quality of sleep is huge. I always get irritated at those articles that mention all those things that you should do to get good sleep such as the whole bedtime thing...never do they seem to mention shiftworkers.

I do not do nights at the moment but when I did I felt like I wanted to just die on those days I was switching back to a more normal sleep schedule. Even evenings I work till midnite rather than my current 9pm are difficult now that I am past 40 in age. Any sort of physical training on nights needed to be kept very light by me. If I was able to get a good quality daytime sleep while working nights it made a huge difference (blackout curtains, white noise, watching caffiene, etc.). I see it over time in my training notes while doing S&S and when I am on stretches of later evenings I am definitely not as perky, have to take longer rests between sets, etc. but back on day shift my training is better.

That being said, I am not sure how many people from a longetivity, hormonal/immunological or performance standpoint can truly function on only 5 hrs of sleep a night, high quality or otherwise. I guess everyone's milage varies, I know the older I get the less I am able to stay up late and even one really poor sleep in a week throws me off. There are not many jobs out there right now that pay as good as nursing without me taking a crapload of schooling all over again, so shiftwork it is (sigh)

My sleep schedule

Put kids in bed
Drink vodka
Feed dog
Pass out 12.30am -1 am
Wake up next day 5 am
Drink Coffee

I can't sleep without Alcohol, my Mrs snores like a buzz saw with a faulty motor and all my old injuries just hurt too much. I can't lay on right side because of missing cartilage in my hip & my neck hurts too much. I can't lay on my left because of a bone graft that's come loose in my left shoulder. If I sleep on my back I get pins and needles all the way down both arms and they feel they are on fire.

Oh, my! You are one tough dude!

Ps-no sarcasm or ill will intended, btw

Last edited:
@HUNTER1313 I envy your sleep consistency... Sounds like what your suggesting means waking up within the same 2 hour time frame. I can't imagine this being an issue. I, however, have struggled recently with sleep inconsistency due to shift work; some nights I'll get to bed at human hours, and other nights at gone 3am. Last week I was almost nocturnal.

You may find 'the power of when' interesting. A book with a corresponding website to determine you ideal sleep type. The idea is based of genetically defined circadian rhythms. Makes a lot of sense, if you've had sleep issues and as such tend to compare yourself to others' sleep patterns and wonder why you fall to pieces without your beauty sleep when others seem to be unaffected. We've all heard the saying 'a night owl or an early bird'.....it's an expansion of that. So if you are a certain 'type' there is a daily ideal template to follow and offers strategies to re-align your sleep patterning when it all goes pear shaped, shift work and change of sleepy time for whatever reason, kids waking up etc.
Explains why I'm such a pain in the arse in the morning even without a hangover and can barely function.....I'm a wolf, not an early rising lion. I'm prone to nocturnal erratic behaviour which is a pretty accurate assessment of my life. My career as a postman was very short lived. There's a little online quiz thing. Bit of fun? Serious science? Well, make your own mind up, I'm off for a nap.....

My sleep schedule

Put kids in bed
Drink vodka
Feed dog
Pass out 12.30am -1 am
Wake up next day 5 am
Drink Coffee

Really?

-S-

Yeah, most week nights that's how it goes.

On weekends I let my hair down & get drunk.

@crazycanuck I'm certainly not tough, I'm the stunt double for an idiot.

If you had seen me writhing in pain for the last 36 hours you'd get where I'm coming from.

Yeah, most week nights that's how it goes.

On weekends I let my hair down & get drunk.

@crazycanuck I'm certainly not tough, I'm the stunt double for an idiot.

If you had seen me writhing in pain for the last 36 hours you'd get where I'm coming from.

like @masa says, power to you. I have a spouse with chronic pain, and it is tough to live with for sure. I admire you that you still endeavor to exercise and move...so many people would not be willing to do that, even in a limited capacity.

@Tarzan How's the medical marijuana industry down under? Sounds like you're a prime candidate.
There's been some changes here lately but it's mostly for cancer patients and people with terminal illnesses as far as I'm aware. I had a real problem with that stuff in the past & like anything else I do I did it to extremes. I stopped smoking before my kids were born - almost ten years ago. As a pain killer it had a mild effect but it really wasn't that effective for me.

At least with alcohol, it's legal and I can restrict it to after the kids have gone to bed. It sounds a bit extreme how much I drink & I guess it is but compared to some of the prescription garbage they've had me on over the years it has much less impact on my health. They had me on oxycodone at a dose that would kill an Elephant at one stage and that messed me up really bad. They were trying to treat the symptoms the oxycodone was causing with drugs and then more drugs to treat the symptoms they caused, I was on 8 different medications at one stage. Some medical "treatments" turn out to be worse than the ailment they are meant to treat.

I decided to quit doctors before they killed me. So now I just self medicate with one drug - alcohol

@HUNTER1313 - sorry to derail your thread.

Sort of back on topic. I rigged up a harness to sleep on last night using the straps from gymnastic rings and my weight belt.I put a few pillows on the floor to kneel on and had a small cabinet to rest my forearms on. So I slept in a kneeling position with about 50% of my weight supported under my chest. A DIY traction rig of sorts. I woke up feeling much better than I did the previous night.

@Tarzan I have and will do everything possible to never take prescription drugs, especially something like oxy.

But I have to think that ambien or something is far safer than embalming yourself every night just to sleep.

I just had two receipts of oxycodone couple of months ago. One was milder that worked faster and stronger was slow stuff (supposed to took before bed). I ate both rounds, but didn't renew the receipts.

Ontopic; I can't say anything about constant sleep schedule. I have done shiftwork over twenty years now. But what can I say is that shiftworkers sleep schedule is least beneficial.

I've been luck to be able to work days the past eight to nine years. Night shift ducks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom