all posts post new thread

Barbell Sling Shot

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I haven't, but @Antti , @JeffC , and @Glen have talked about using them in their workout logs.

Antti really takes the time to write down his thoughts on the exercises he is doing, so you could probably get the best review of it (and a lot of good advice about lifting in general) just by reading his log from beginning to end. Here is his early impressions of it:
The Slingshot was an interesting contraption. I turned out to like it. It really did force the bar path and give a good push in the bottom. But what was most interesting was how I thought it made my left side feel better. I'd like to try it out some more, and if it really turns out to help with the aches, I'll have to get one myself.

I haven't, but @Antti , @JeffC , and @Glen have talked about using them in their workout logs.

Antti really takes the time to write down his thoughts on the exercises he is doing, so you could probably get the best review of it (and a lot of good advice about lifting in general) just by reading his log from beginning to end. Here is his early impressions of it:
Agree, Antti's log is golden.

I have used mine some. I have the original, I think it was mentioned to be used by lifters around 300-400 lbs 1RM, I'm closer to the top end of that. The sizing by bodyweight also was good for me, got a 2XL.

My view hasn't really changed from what @Kiacek quoted. It is very much what it is and what can be expected from it. A useful tool, the exact usefulness depends on the individual.

Anyone here used Mark Bell's Sling Shot for bench press? If so what did you think of it?

Sling Shot

Yea, I have one an use it.

Accommodating Resistance

The Sling Shot provide Accommodating Resistance in the same manner that attaching Bands and/or Chains to a barbell does.

These devices are very effective for...

Ascending Strength Curve Exercises (Movements)

These are exercise that are hard at the bottom of a movement an easier at the top.

The Sling Shot, Bands and/or Chains allow you to overload the muscle in the exercise through a great range of an exercise.

Exercise like Squats, Pressing Movements, Deadlifts, Leg Press, Good Mornings, etc. are Ascending Strength Exercises.

Dr Gideon Ariel Exercise Research

Ariel's research determined that only around 30% of an exercise movement overloads the muscle in that movement.

The remaining 70% of the movement in an exercise underloaded it.

The remaining 70% of the exercise movement provides some benefits but not optimal benefits for muscle growth and strength development.

For maximal muscle growth and strength, muscles need to be overloaded.

So to reiterate, the Sling Shot, Bands and/or Chains allow more top end loading; the farther your push or pull the bar weight up, the more resistance you encounter.

The use of the Sling Shot as well as attaching Bands and/or Chain to the barbell are very effective for Ascending Strength Curve Movements.

Additional Benefit of The Sling Shot, Bands and/or Chains

Due to the fact that these devices allow you to handle more weight at the top end of the movement, it elicits...

The PAP,Post Activation Potentiation Response

This training method means you perform a heavy movement in let's say a Bench Press, rest a few minutes and then preform a light to moderate Bench Press.

The heavy Bench Press tricks the body into produce more force/Power in the light to moderate Bench Press. '

That same response occurs with the Sling Shot, Band and/or Chains attached to the bar. The heavier load at the top end of the bar in a Bench Press (any movement) allows you to produce slightly more Power off the chest, in the bottom part of the movement.

Now let look at...

The Other Two Strength Curve Movements

1) Descending Strength Curve Movements

These movement are easy at the start and harder to finish; Lat Pulldowns, Bent Over Rows, 90 Degree Back Raise, Hip Thrust, etc.

2) Bell Shaped Strength Curve Movements

These are easy at the beginning, hard in the middle and easy at the end of the movement; Curls, Triceps Push Down, 45 Degree Back Raise, etc.

Attaching Band and/or Chains isn't as effective for Descending and Bell Shaped Strength Curve Exercises.

With that said, there are some exceptions to this rule. Another topic for another time.

If so what did you think of it?

Great Training Tool

The Sling Shot is a great training tool.

Lifting Large

LiftingLarge.com sell the Sling Shot.

What I like about this company is Mike Adelman, the owner. a former Powerlifter who still has State Records; very knowledgeable.

If you have question on anything, he give you a straight answer. I been a customer of his for twenty years.

Last edited:
Sling Shot

Yea, I have one an use it.

Accommodating Resistance

The Sling Shot provide Accommodating Resistance in the same manner that attaching Bands and/or Chains to a barbell does.

These devices are very effective for...

Ascending Strength Curve Exercises (Movements)

These are exercise that are hard at the bottom of a movement an easier at the top.

The Sling Shot, Bands and/or Chains allow you to overload the muscle in the exercise through a great range of an exercise.

Exercise like Squats, Pressing Movements, Deadlifts, Leg Press, Good Mornings, etc. are Ascending Strength Exercises.

Dr Gideon Ariel Exercise Research

Ariel's research determined that only around 30% of an exercise movement overloads the muscle in that movement.

The remaining 70% of the movement in an exercise underloaded it.

The remaining 70% of the exercise movement provides some benefits but not optimal benefits for muscle growth and strength development.

For maximal muscle growth and strength, muscles need to be overloaded.

So to reiterate, the Sling Shot, Bands and/or Chains allow more top end loading; the farther your push or pull the bar weight up, the more resistance you encounter.

The use of the Sling Shot as well as attaching Bands and/or Chain to the barbell are very effective for Ascending Strength Curve Movements.

Additional Benefit of The Sling Shot, Bands and/or Chains

Due to the fact that these devices allow you to handle more weight at the top end of the movement, it elicit...

The PAP, Post Activation Potentiation Response

This training method means you perform a heavy movement in let's say a Bench Press, rest a few minutes and then preform a light to moderate Bench Press.

The heavy Bench Press tricks the body into produce more force/Power in the light to moderate Bench Press. '

That same response occurs with the Sling Shot, Band and/or Chains attached to the bar. The heavier load at the top end of the bar in a Bench Press (any movement) allows you to produce slightly more Power off the chest, in the bottom part of the movement.

Now let look at...

The Other Two Strength Curve Movements

1( Descending Strength Curve Movements

These movement are easy at the start and harder to finish; Lat Pulldowns, Bent Over Rows, 90 Degree Back Raise, Hip Thrust, etc.

2) Bell Shaped Strength Curve Movements

These are easy at the beginning, hard in the middle and easy at the end of the movement; Curls, Triceps Push Down, 45 Degree Back Raise, etc.

Attaching Band and/or Chains isn't as effective for Descending and Bell Shaped Strength Curve Exercises.

With that said, there are some exceptions to this rule. Another topic for another time.

Great Training Tool

The Sling Shot is a great training tool.

Lifting Large

LiftingLarge.com sell the Sling Shot.

What I like about this company is Mike Adelman, the owner, if a former Powerlifter who still had State Records; very knowledgeable.

If you have question on anything, he give you a straight answer. I been a customer of his for twenty years.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. I appreciate it.

To clarify: I was considering using a Sling Shot to protect my shoulders when benching rather than as a means to overload.

To clarify: I was considering using a Sling Shot to protect my shoulders when benching rather than as a means to overload.
Sling Shot For Shoulders

The Sling Shot assist in protecting the shoulder in the Bench Press, Dip, etc.

If someone has concern or shoulder issues with the Bench Press, that issue can be minimized with the...

Reverse Grip Bench Press

There is very little stress placed on the shoulders with an underhand grip.

What's interesting is research shows something similar when it comes to Baseball Pitchers.

There's substantially more shoulder issues with overhand pitcher than underhand pitchers.

Use The Thumbless Bench Press

By using a thumbless grip you can easily keep a more neutral hand position, which makes it much more natural to lower the bar while staying tucked. This reduces shoulder stress without increasing torque at the elbows, resulting in a less stressful bench press.

Swiss/Football Barbell

This barbell allows a lifter to Bench Press with a neutral grip position.

A neutral grip as well as an underhand, Reverse Grip Bench Press minimizes stress on the shoulder.

Dumbbell Bench Pressing

Dumbbell Bench Pressing is another way that allows someone to perform the movement with a neutral or underhand grip.

To protect? Do you have an existing shoulder issue or are you looking for preventative measures?

In any case, correct form is of paramount importance to both safety and effectiveness of your training.

It could be a good idea to spend the first slingshot money on coaching instead.

I've got 2 different sling shots. I think it is a really good middle ground between raw and a single ply bench shirt.

Reverse Grip Bench Press

There is very little stress placed on the shoulders with an underhand grip.

What's interesting is research shows something similar when it comes to Baseball Pitchers.

There's substantially more shoulder issues with overhand pitcher than underhand pitchers.
Maybe it's just me, but I've always found the reverse grip bench press to be a little bit of a mobility challenge for my shoulders. That said, I don't think it's HARD on my shoulders, just that there is absolutely some stretch that I'm not getting w. a pronated (regular) bench press grip.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom