all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Slow fiber protocol questions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MichaelJ

Level 1 Valued Member
I've got a few questions regarding the superslow protocol from Prof. Selouyanov:

1. It's said that one can do different exercises during the rest period, but, can that exercise be done in the same manner i.e. 30-60s to failure? For example: during the upper body day, doing push ups and rows, which hit the opposite muscle groups, after completing a set of push ups, can I proceed to the rows immediately, hit failure and then rest for 10 mins after a round of those 2 exercises, or should I have a 10 min break between them?

2. There's a link in this thread: Incorporating combat sport conditioning into strength program for mma fighters and they do a similar (but slightly different) routine: 30s work:30s rest x3 (one set) and then 5-10 min rest, is that a prototype of the protocol mentioned in the SF articles or just a more compressed version? Done that way could be more time efficient. I'm not fluent in russian so I don't know if they mentioned splitting the workouts for lower and upper body, if someone could translate the most important points - it would be great!

3. I always wondered, if the hypertrophy programs always involve compressed rests, then why this particular protocol calls for longer rest periods? Isn't that conflicting?
The article about long rests “Long Rests”: A Revolution in Interval Training mentions the downsides of glytoclytic training, but the russian bear is considered to be glycolytic. Would it be better to do 5~ reps with 1~ min rests and consciously cumulate the fatigue or 5-10 min to stay fresh, even if it meant that the session would last forever? Is that accumulating of fatigue neccessary? I know that doing 10-20 sets with 5-10 minutes rests would take a long time and probably nobody who trains recreationally would want to spend so much time for workouts, but I'm asking hypothetically.

Last edited:
@MichaelJ, until we have a translation, I don't know that we'll be able to answer your questions.

Getting a "pump" with a heavy weight is good for hypertrophy. Whether or not it's the best choice for conditioning is a different question.

-S-

@MichaelJ, until we have a translation, I don't know that we'll be able to answer your questions.

Getting a "pump" with a heavy weight is good for hypertrophy. Whether or not it's the best choice for conditioning is a different question.

-S-
Are ladders considered good for hypertrophy? I mean like the programs for pull ups 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1 with short breaks in between.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom