all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Slow Hindu Push Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
I recently started doing hindu push ups, not high reps just 5-10 slow and controlled, before my S&S warmup and a few sets through out the day, and I was wondering what the S1 forum thinks about them?

I started doing them between periods of zazen (meditation in full lotus) instead of kinin (traditional walking meditation) to counteract the effects of sitting. And it feels good, recovery between zazen is better for shoulders, thoracic spine and ankles. First I just did standard sun salutations, but thought it was suboptimal as recovery, so I did the up dog position with dorsiflexed ankle instead of the standard plantar flexion, and that evolved to going "under the fence" as in the hindu/divebomber push up. It felt so good for the whole body (but especially shoulders) that I now do a few before the S&S warmup.

Do any of you do slow hindu push ups, or have done, and what do you think of them and their place in strength training and/or for active recovery?

I love Hindu pushups, and do them daily - weighted stretching/mobility. If you remember, ROP's warmup includes halos, face the wall squats and - pumps, kind of regression of Hindu pushups. Good stuff.

I recently started doing hindu push ups, not high reps just 5-10 slow and controlled, before my S&S warmup and a few sets through out the day, and I was wondering what the S1 forum thinks about them?

I started doing them between periods of zazen (meditation in full lotus) instead of kinin (traditional walking meditation) to counteract the effects of sitting. And it feels good, recovery between zazen is better for shoulders, thoracic spine and ankles. First I just did standard sun salutations, but thought it was suboptimal as recovery, so I did the up dog position with dorsiflexed ankle instead of the standard plantar flexion, and that evolved to going "under the fence" as in the hindu/divebomber push up. It felt so good for the whole body (but especially shoulders) that I now do a few before the S&S warmup.

Do any of you do slow hindu push ups, or have done, and what do you think of them and their place in strength training and/or for active recovery?

Some argue that deep forward bends are not such a good idea, so hindu pushups would be a good substitution. Divebomber pushups are commonly used in Judo and wrestling as well. I think I would hangout a bit in downdog position between reps. And pause for a cobra hold in the bottom between sets. And alternate with the "world's greatest stretch" which I prefer to sun salutation sequences. How to Do 'The World's Greatest Stretch'

As you probably have discovered, like the sun salutation, the hindu pushup and dive bomber have a more rhythmic quality than a standard mobility routine, as it can be kind of meditative, like when you have a really good KB swing session where you are not counting strict reps but just doing volume. The hindu pushup feels good on the shoulders as well. I didn't like the hindu squat though, seemed hard on the knees. Has it worked for you?

I do them too as part of daily spinal mobility and use them as warm up. I do 5 each direction driving the pelvis in a circle/ellipse and do some pumping on the last one. Currently my favourite thing.

I love Hindu pushups, and do them daily - weighted stretching/mobility. If you remember, ROP's warmup includes halos, face the wall squats and - pumps, kind of regression of Hindu pushups. Good stuff.
I have not done ROP and only glanced at the book, so I didn't know, that it was included in the warm up for that. Thanks for the feedback.

Some argue that deep forward bends are not such a good idea, so hindu pushups would be a good substitution. Divebomber pushups are commonly used in Judo and wrestling as well. I think I would hangout a bit in downdog position between reps. And pause for a cobra hold in the bottom between sets. And alternate with the "world's greatest stretch" which I prefer to sun salutation sequences. How to Do 'The World's Greatest Stretch'

As you probably have discovered, like the sun salutation, the hindu pushup and dive bomber have a more rhythmic quality than a standard mobility routine, as it can be kind of meditative, like when you have a really good KB swing session where you are not counting strict reps but just doing volume. The hindu pushup feels good on the shoulders as well. I didn't like the hindu squat though, seemed hard on the knees. Has it worked for you?
I do hang out a bit in the down dog position, longer there than in the up dog. I have dabbled in hindu squats, but my initial thought is: since they are extremely quadriceps heavy, they might be detrimental to my lotus posture...one thing I don't want is large legs! Maybe there are some people with muscular legs that can sit in lotus and sustain it for a long time, but I am not going to risk it. I prefer my chicken legs, and as long as my girlfriend don't mind them, I will keep them skinny. The goblet squat (and perhaps front squats in the future) are enough for me. And yes I am a bit worried, that they might not be the best fit for knees swell, that may be because I am not doing them right for me. But since I have other alternatives I am not going to do them.
I do think, that I am flexion intolerant, but I might be extension, if not intolerant, then at least challenged. It was ultimately what stopped me doing yoga (ashtanga), I couldn't figure out to do back bending safely.

Back when I was doing Steve Maxwells 5 Pillars System, I was doing super slow and controlled hindu pushups with other calisthenics until failure about 4 days a week. My arms got insanely defined and strong. They honestly looked fake compared to the rest of my body.

I love them. I think they're great for mobility, flexibility and strength.

I just realized, that what I am doing is NOT hindu pushup. What I am doing is the divebomber. I thought that it was a different name for same thing. But apparantly they are two very different push up variations.

Although I hear great things - the Hindu pushup hurt my shoulders. I am not sure my lower back liked it much either.

I know this is more about how I was doing them, but still.

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom