all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Slow TGU - how slow?

Pavel.Kosenkov

Level 5 Valued Member
Guys, I have got really inspired by FMS unplugged (there is a playlist on YouTube).
And all the videos about light TGU.
I was doing TGU's on the variety day. I know that high bridge is not necessary for a heavy TGU by the way.
However, I was wondering: if we are talking slow TGU as a form of mobility work, how slow should we go?
Comments will be appreciated: TGUs

Guys, I have got really inspired by FMS unplugged (there is a playlist on YouTube).
I was doing TGU's on the variety day. I know that high bridge is not necessary for a heavy TGU by the way.
However, I was wondering: if we are talking slow TGU as a form of mobility work, how slow should we go?
One ex., hold each position for 10 seconds.

Could also add a press at each position, which will add time, and enjoyment.

Last edited:
From time to time I do a getup with my yoga block. I try to mimic a sloth.

The way I figure it, I try to get from pose to pose with minimal 'kipping' inbetween.

There's always a little bit of push, especially to elbow. But, I seek to minimize it. I am not currently aware of how much time it takes. Probably around a minute.

Yours looks about right for mobility work. That's exactly what I do. Light weight, take my time at each position, explore the difference between tension and relaxation, make graceful transitions, use the high hip bridge for hip opening, feel some stretching in some positions.

For regular strength get-ups, I like 30-35 seconds, myself... from floor press to lowering the elbow back down to the floor.

Hello,

D. John advocates to do a press at each stage for instance. It creates the ability to move an external load under weird angles, which is great for a blend of strength and mobility. It also reduces risk injury because we usually use relatively light weights to do so. Doing so, one is obliged to maintain good position while moving a load.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Two ways at looking at slow I guess. One with a pause or hold at the various transition points. The other just going super slow and smoothly through the transitions with no pauses.
Thoughts?
On all my getups i cycle a breath at each stage. I feel this mimics the crux parts of climbing, being able to still breath behind the shield and remembering to do so between hard moves.
With lighter weights i will either do a breath,press,breath stage or try to do the whole thing without stopping but still cycling the breath at the appropriate stages.

I haven't tried 'as slow as I can go' .. but I am going to try it.

I have been enjoying a press at different stages. I have used two variations of this:
Press at floor
Press at elbow
Press at straight arm (this is an awkward one).

Or

Press at floor
Press at elbow
Press at lunge position.

I enjoying taking clients through yoga block, cushions, book get ups (we frequently just go up to elbow or straight arm).

Today I practiced trying to balance a tennis ball on knuckles as I made a fist....this required slow movement and was hard.

I like the 'breath at each stage' idea as I often let my breath dictate much of my movement.

Richard

As an addition to my last post....I have only done the 'stage presses' (floor, elbow etc) with my bum on the floor.
Does anyone do the stage presses with
hips elevated eg onto forearm and then lift hips to press....up to straight arm, lift hips and press etc?

Richard

As an addition to my last post....I have only done the 'stage presses' (floor, elbow etc) with my bum on the floor.
hips elevated eg onto forearm and then lift hips to press....up to straight arm, lift hips and press etc?

Richard
I have done presses at all transition points - floor, elbow, hand, sweep, lunge, standing. I have not done a press in the bridge, only once you've finished transitioning through the bridge and sweep.

Richard
Yeah, 11 presses per GU. Floor, elbow, tall sit, bent press, lunge, standing, lunge, bent press, tall sit, elbow, floor.
Last time was 1/1 with a #26, then 1/1 with a #35 x 5 rounds, so 20 Gu's and 220 presses. Minimal rest btwn. weights.

I really like TGU. My strategy is to rotate between light bottoms up with a 3 or 4 second pause at each stage, medium weight standard grip with a pause at each stage, and occasionally I like to do heavy standard grip with no pause or high bridge. Adding a pause for me is the best way to go up a bell, as well as just doing them ( whichever way ) 3 times a week.

Just the other day started light bottoms up with a beer can on the bell after seeing a cool Instagram clip here on a TGU bottoms up thread. Bit of a novelty but also a really good challenge.

I think your pace in transitions are good but you could stop longer in the positions that you feel like you need more mobility.

Gotta check again but I believe I have done a 1:15 slow getup with a 32

I personally find alternating super slow getups with multiple rep getups helps build up to doing the timeless and eventually timed standard 1-2 bells up from the bell you're working with at the moment

Back
Top Bottom