all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Slow Twitch Endurance Training rationale doesn't make sense (frequency?)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

brice

First Post
I am now training with GTG and pavels 5x5 methods. Great stuff.

What I don't understand is what the 5-minute rest period with endurance muscle sets! If we are going to failure each set, AND endurance muscles recovery faster than fast-twitch, wouldn't it stand to reason to have maybe a few minute rest?

Secondly, wouldn't training endurance fibers more than twice a week (4-7) make sense? It recovers faster, can be trained more frequently, and allegedly we lose localize endurance capability faster (compared to fast-twitch)

What gives?? I want to improve my hollow-body position endurance at the best pace possible.

@brice, what materials are you looking at regarding the training parameters you mention?

Welcome to StrongFirst!

-S-

Admittedly, most was gleaned from Tim Ferriss podcasts and strongfirst articles- I just purchased Hardstyle Abs.

As a student with summer break, I have almost unlimited daily time to grease the groove or train movements, so I want to maximize on the frequency effect.

I'm not aware of a recommendation for 5 min rests with endurance work - have a link?

-S-

How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part I - StrongFirst

"
  • Style of performance: super slow, no acceleration.
  • Range of motion: partial that does not allow rest at any point.
  • Set duration: 30-60 seconds to failure (both heavy and light days).
  • Rest between sets of a given exercise: 5-10 minutes, active (walk, “fast and loose”). Other exercises may be done during that window.
  • Resistance: 30-70% 1RM for the lower body and 10-40% 1RM for the upper body. No difference in resistance from heavy to light day.
  • Weekly schedule: bodybuilding style split training; a heavy day and a light day per muscle group.
  • Volume: 4-9 sets on heavy day; 1-3 sets on light day."

Doesn't the article in question have just the answer in it?

"It is the radical five- to ten-minute rest period that gives Selouyanov’s method its unique edge.Bodybuilders, when doing constant tension, peak contraction, and super slow reps, always rush the rest periods, chasing max pump (pump is a manifestation of H+ accumulation, by the way). Selouyanov’s research has demonstrated that while hydrogen ions are needed for a short period of time to unlock the muscle cell to anabolic hormones, they destroy the muscle if allowed to stick around too long. If you remember your chemistry, you will realize that an ion is a charged particle, ready to reach and damage. Hence the extreme five- to ten-minute rest that makes all the difference."

If you feel that you recover faster than usual from the heavy day, I would recommend you make the day heavier. If that does not help, try adding a medium day to the week.

No it doesn't answer this quandry :/.

I guess I will work on ST methods myself, ignore the 5 minute rest period in favor of 1 minute rest periods, and train them 3-5 days a week, depending on volume. i'll still use his general rubric on 4-week periodization.

Tangentially for ST or FW fibers: I have experienced intense sets with low rest periods (I did 3 heavy legpress Rest-Pause sets with 15-second rests for 6 weeks, and each week I added a plate from 270-540, seemingly overnight and after almost passing out each time. The ROM was maintained. Also, Tom Platz (among others) who had enormous and powerful legs advocated Heavy Weights at high volume w/ low rest.

I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, but there seeming to be a glaring void of an explanation. Rest-Pause should not be superior to high-rest sets (for legs specifically), assumed volume is equal, and yet it has been in the past for me. I acknowledge the risk:reward of going to failure.. Is it that Rest-Pause is superior for hypertrophy, which just happened to carry over to strength in my instance?

If you ignore the recommended rest period, you are no longer following the program. The article states, clearly, what works and what doesn't. Understanding is a delaying tactic in this case - if you wish to try the protocol, follow it as written. There are several blogs, meant to be read consecutively and completely, in the series.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom