all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Slow Twitch Fiber training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Travis Sisco

Level 5 Valued Member
So I went through the six weeks ST protocol with squats being the exercise I used. I am a 45 year old who is training for tennis, MTN biking and OCR racing. My question is could I use leg press to “maintain” my lower leg endurance instead of squats for awhile. I will eventually go back to squats. I have some mileage on me and my lower back is a bit sore.
thanks in advance

So I went through the six weeks ST protocol with squats being the exercise I used. I am a 45 year old who is training for tennis, MTN biking and OCR racing. My question is could I use leg press to “maintain” my lower leg endurance instead of squats for awhile. I will eventually go back to squats. I have some mileage on me and my lower back is a bit sore.
thanks in advance

Have you noticed any effect on your tennis, MTN biking, and OCR racing? Curious...

As to your question, I would think you could use leg press to similar effect... but I'm guessing, based on what is taught about ST hypertrophy protocols at Strong Endurance. Basically use any exercise, move slowly through the hard part, constrict the blood flow by not reaching lockout during the effort, etc.

Hello,

@Travis Sisco
To a certain extent, any kind of maximal strength training may transfer well to endurance maintenance.

I noticed even greater benefits by adding explosive moves, such as jump squats, burpees, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Travis Sisco
To a certain extent, any kind of maximal strength training may transfer well to endurance maintenance.

I noticed even greater benefits by adding explosive moves, such as jump squats, burpees, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

But I think he's asking specifically about a different exercise while still using the slow fiber hypertrophy type training.

Thanks guys that’s all that I figured as well but getting feedback from others is always beneficial. Anna I haven’t noticed on tennis or MTN biking as it’s way too cold for me to be out side doing those but I did have one nice day and I went for a run and it went really well. Legs felt good the whole time. I have been doing a ton of aerobic training based off Dr Maffetone’s recommendations so that is also a factor that has to be considered.

Mains-Ah
@Travis Sisco sure I don't see why not. though you could try Goblet Squats or Belt Squats (the machine if you have it, the dip belt version is also good)
man if I had a belt squat machine I would be so happy! I thought about dip belt but I just feel awkward with that high of a load in those kinds of squats and my upperbody would give out WAY before on Goblet squats if I need to reach failure on the legs in the 30secs- 1min time frame

Ok decided to just give it a try today cause the 9sets of Back Squats on Tuesday torched me! I actually like this protocol with leg press better. I get in way more reps, that’s to be expected, and I feel safer going to failure on them as the leg press is one where the platform is fixed and the chair moves back. Same nasty burn as squats. I’ll use this as my “maintenance” protocol and go back to back squats when OCR and Tennis season comes around

sounds like you have a solid plan! have you tried this version of the belt squat?

all you need is a corner, towel and a barbell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom