all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Slow-Twitch Fiber Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rvaldrich

Level 5 Valued Member
So I've been 23 for almost two decades until the last six months or so and BAM!, 40 years old hit like a freight train. Wrists started aching, I wrenched my elbow-super bad trying to push a twin-sized bed (feel free to laugh, I did...after I stopped swearing), and my knees are...well, they're basically not there.

So in that fit of depress all us quasi-seasoned physical culturists go through, I found myself reading through the older entries and I found my way to our famous Slow-Twitch Training program (starting here: Should You Train Your Slow Twitch Fibers? | StrongFirst). Sweet. All the talk of injury-mitigation sang to me like the Sirens to Odysseus. Only hopefully with less devouring of human flesh.

So let's say I tossed my current routine - because we all know that's such a wise idea - and went full Slow-Twitch (my 'sport' is, short-answer, MMA). What would that look like? Are we talking Push-Pull-Legs? Are we talking a Bro-split of chest, traps, lats, etc? Are we talking pec-major lift, pec-minor, serratus? I know we have McCarthy's write-up (How to Row 3000 Miles Across an Ocean with a Barbell | StrongFirst), but that was just two lifts and for a very specific event, so I'm not clear how transferrable that is to sustained training.
And I'm assuming (as I'm not a lifter of any kind), I'd basically just abandon the usual lifts. Even our beloved kettlebell swing? Or would one still look to do some 'endurance' work (like A+A)?

Lastly, this is hypertrophy work. Cool, cool. So should I eat like a hypertrophy routine? I'm cutting like a fiend to get a six pack before Four-One hits me, but if I need to add poptarts back into my diet, I can.

What’s your current training regimen like?
Short answer: S&S with some 'pleasantly challenging' calisthenics afterwards.

Longer answer: Simple & Sinister + Gymnastic Bodies(ish)

Longer-er answer: S&S expanded in the morning, bag work midday, grappling drills in the afternoon, stretching in the evening. No sparring or classes these days because...well...*gestures at everything*

It seems like you have a decent handle on load management based on the forum link you provided. I think the answer you’re going to get from me, and others, is “it depends on your goals/priorities.”

What’s priority number 1?
2?
3?

That’ll determine how to restructure things.

If it’s fat loss for a six pack and less wear and tear, the simplest solution is keep your diet in check, dial back some of the intensity in strength training and let the mma training burn the calories for you.

Another option would be to replace your GB-style (gymnastic bodies) training with the slow twitch protocol (2 days/week, as written!) and keep your S&S and mma practice as they are. You could even do some of the calisthenics moves (depending on which) in the slow twitch format (pseudo planche push-ups, Chins, leg movement).

Somewhere on the forum (I can’t seem to find it at the moment) was a thread about the slow twitch protocol, and people seemed to have liked how it treated them. If you’re doing mma however, you’d want to take into account how that would affect your training and goals there... doing mostly slow twitch isn’t going to help with power, for instance.

Another option is doing one slow twitch day and one “regular” day with the calisthenics alongside your other stuff.

Edit: ONE MORE option.... would be to reduce the S&S volume, do calisthenics moves of choice, and split them among a strength-oriented day, a speed/power day, and/or a hypertrophic day. This added variability might give your body what it needs to recover better. You could even cycle different moves for each of those three days, keeping the number of exercises each day at a manageable minimum.

I know that wasn’t a “you should do ‘x’” answer, but hopefully it’s helpful in some way! It’s definitely difficult managing multiple types of training.

Last edited:
So I've been 23 for almost two decades until the last six months or so and BAM!, 40 years old hit like a freight train. Wrists started aching, I wrenched my elbow-super bad trying to push a twin-sized bed (feel free to laugh, I did...after I stopped swearing), and my knees are...well, they're basically not there.

So in that fit of depress all us quasi-seasoned physical culturists go through, I found myself reading through the older entries and I found my way to our famous Slow-Twitch Training program (starting here: Should You Train Your Slow Twitch Fibers? | StrongFirst). Sweet. All the talk of injury-mitigation sang to me like the Sirens to Odysseus. Only hopefully with less devouring of human flesh.

So let's say I tossed my current routine - because we all know that's such a wise idea - and went full Slow-Twitch (my 'sport' is, short-answer, MMA). What would that look like? Are we talking Push-Pull-Legs? Are we talking a Bro-split of chest, traps, lats, etc? Are we talking pec-major lift, pec-minor, serratus? I know we have McCarthy's write-up (How to Row 3000 Miles Across an Ocean with a Barbell | StrongFirst), but that was just two lifts and for a very specific event, so I'm not clear how transferrable that is to sustained training.
And I'm assuming (as I'm not a lifter of any kind), I'd basically just abandon the usual lifts. Even our beloved kettlebell swing? Or would one still look to do some 'endurance' work (like A+A)?

Lastly, this is hypertrophy work. Cool, cool. So should I eat like a hypertrophy routine? I'm cutting like a fiend to get a six pack before Four-One hits me, but if I need to add poptarts back into my diet, I can.
As you are finding out… inside every old person there is a young person saying “what the @#$% just happened???”

As you are finding out… inside every old person there is a young person saying “what the @#$% just happened???”
i actually feel like I'm starting that proccess at 38..... and I am trying my best to head it off! ??

"usually happens to me brushing my teeth or something like that…"
I feel called out by this post and I don't like it. :p

Sorry for dropping the conversational ball, team. I had to take a loved one to the ER over the weekend (thankfully much ado about nothing) and that totally derailed my entire train of thought. But I do appreciate all the input (especially yours, bluejeff), as well as all the commiseration over being 15 for twenty-five years in a row.

If it is of any interest:

With the school holidays super busy here (as they will be in most places), I find myself coaching and the rest of the time and energy with my wife and son. This is exactly how I want it to be, but it means I don't have as much in the tank for my own training. All good though.

So I decided that this was the routine for me. I started a few weeks back but had to stop it to join in sessions with a couple of clients (at their request)....and didn't think I could do that and this programme at the same time.

So, I have just started back again. I have been using diamond pushup and Hanging/active pulling back from door handle (body position is a deep hinge....arms and spine essentially a straight line.... Lats flared, pushing through calf's - wicked calf cramp as well as Lats, Glutes and some Hammy)....

The active pull can't really be progressed but will have extra volume over the programme.

Other days include lots of walking and ground based rolling. I am an OS coach and it is a absolute fundamental of my own coaching with clients........not to mention trying to keep up with my son - who seems to have more energy than any one person should possess haha.

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom