all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Small Victories

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

Lately I have become more and more focused on small training victories. It started when I received a trophy on my Polar heart rate monitor watch after a tempo run. I received a trophy for my fastest average pace. I realized that I have been receiving these trophies periodically for longest distance, fastest average pace, most calories burned, etc. They aren't anything I'm training for specifically, but simply receiving them ensures me I'm moving the ball forward.

Since, I've taken notice in things like the most reps with a weight, etc. I have discovered hundreds of tiny PRs that are confidence inspiring and motivating. I'd like to suggest if you're not noticing or tracking these small victories, to start and/or start sharing them here for others to start taking notice as well.

I used to discount this sort of stuff, but I’m changing my thinking after reading Dlow by the Hungarian researcher whose name I cannot remember how to spell. He explains that flow experiences come from experiences that are game like with clear goals, rules, and feedback. It’s why so many people get hooked on video games, clear goal, a challenge, rules, and instant feedback showing progress.

So for training, little victories could be very beneficial.

I used to discount this sort of stuff, but I’m changing my thinking after reading Dlow by the Hungarian researcher whose name I cannot remember how to spell. He explains that flow experiences come from experiences that are game like with clear goals, rules, and feedback. It’s why so many people get hooked on video games, clear goal, a challenge, rules, and instant feedback showing progress.

So for training, little victories could be very beneficial.
Come on, Csikszentmihalyi is not that that difficult to remember :D

... I guess his career wouldnt have been possible before the age of copy and paste.

And +1 for celebrating small steps forward. Gives you momentum and confidence. I think there is a difference between extrinsically chasing quantitative goals and using numbers to make gradual improvements more visible.

I have been enjoying these little victories a lot lately too.

I´m keeping my training log in a google sheet spreadsheet with all sort of calculations. This is how my swing workload looks like now:

upload_2019-1-12_20-0-29.png

upload_2019-1-12_20-2-52.png

This way I can notice many little victories that used to go unnoticed before. For instance, the first time I did 100 swings with 32. Training 14 days in a row, training more than 5/week for many weeks in a row, etc.

I have been enjoying these little victories a lot lately too.

I´m keeping my training log in a google sheet spreadsheet with all sort of calculations. This is how my swing workload looks like now:

View attachment 7637

View attachment 7638

This way I can notice many little victories that used to go unnoticed before. For instance, the first time I did 100 swings with 32. Training 14 days in a row, training more than 5/week for many weeks in a row, etc.

volume PRs are easy to achieve and track (at my level at least). With A+A snatches, I track volume PRs for repeats of 3, 4 and 5 with my current working bell (28kg). It’s interesting to track density and how it differs between sessions with repeats of different repetitions and similar volume.

volume PRs are easy to achieve and track (at my level at least). With A+A snatches, I track volume PRs for repeats of 3, 4 and 5 with my current working bell (28kg). It’s interesting to track density and how it differs between sessions with repeats of different repetitions and similar volume.
Yes, indeed. I haven't been recording density, but it's an important variable to track as well. I was thinking on including how long it takes to complete the swings.

How do you log your practice?

Yes, indeed. I haven't been recording density, but it's an important variable to track as well. I was thinking on including how long it takes to complete the swings.

How do you log your practice?

I keep it pretty low tech. Tally ticks in a paper log and then an online log with somewhat consistent formatting, noting PRs on the day. Only tricky bit with density is relating it to your RPE. I’ve forced a few density PRs through incomplete rest.

I like to write down how long the session takes - sometimes including each phase or series and rest break. I’ll often finish with swings or a lighter weight/less reps

Lately I have become more and more focused on small training victories. It started when I received a trophy on my Polar heart rate monitor watch after a tempo run. I received a trophy for my fastest average pace. I realized that I have been receiving these trophies periodically for longest distance, fastest average pace, most calories burned, etc. They aren't anything I'm training for specifically, but simply receiving them ensures me I'm moving the ball forward.

Since, I've taken notice in things like the most reps with a weight, etc. I have discovered hundreds of tiny PRs that are confidence inspiring and motivating. I'd like to suggest if you're not noticing or tracking these small victories, to start and/or start sharing them here for others to start taking notice as well.

Great post, love it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom