all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Smith Machine for OAPU Practice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

adam718

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey All,

I was curious what you all thought about using the SM for OAPU practice. In NW Pavel discusses the importance of corkscrewing your hand to create tension, however, “breaking the bar” would also provide irradiation. I ask because the SM is easy to set up at different heights as I’m a way off from the floor at the moment. Doing SFB in September and want to nail it day of.
Thoughts?

Also, if anyone has a complete SFB prep program they like I’d love to see it. I’ve been piecing things together from the forum and NW but am open to suggestions for all skills.

Hi @adam718

Do you mean using the SM bar under you and elevating it to different heights, the same way we might use a barbell in a rack (pic)?

My Instagram March-April 2019 has some of my SFB prep training. Also detailed in my training log. Might give you some ideas. Your best training plan depends a lot on where you are with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200115-121239_Instagram~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20200115-121239_Instagram~2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 13
Th
Hi @adam718

Do you mean using the SM bar under you and elevating it to different heights, the same way we might use a barbell in a rack (pic)?

My Instagram March-April 2019 has some of my SFB prep training. Also detailed in my training log. Might give you some ideas. Your best training plan depends a lot on where you are with it.
Thanks! I’ll take a look. Appreciate it.

@adam718 I think using a bar is great. Once you get low enough, I would switch to a block or box in order to start getting the hand and fingers involved. But you should be fine to use the bar for a while.

Best program I've seen for OAOL PU is Karen's: A 6-Week Program to Master the OA/OAOL Push-up | StrongFirst

And this is a good pistol article: How to Build Up to 1 Pistol - Then 100 Consecutive Pistols | StrongFirst

Thank for sharing the articles. I’m doing Karens OAPU now and am doing well. I’ll check out the pistol article. Thanks for the feedback!

Thank for sharing the articles. I’m doing Karens OAPU now and am doing well. I’ll check out the pistol article. Thanks for the feedback!

here is you need me :)
My email is karensmithmsfg@gmail.com

and yes the bar is a great progressions, do reps from top down and also isometric holds at your sticking points. This way you are building shoulder stability in straight arm hold as well as bent arm holds. Then other days full range of motion.
Which certification are you attending ?

here is you need me :)
My email is karensmithmsfg@gmail.com

and yes the bar is a great progressions, do reps from top down and also isometric holds at your sticking points. This way you are building shoulder stability in straight arm hold as well as bent arm holds. Then other days full range of motion.
Which certification are you attending ?
Hey Karen,
I’ll be attending the NYC cert in September. Thanks so much for the advice. I will start implementing this ASAP. Appreciate the support. Looking forward to SFB.

If you´re training at home and have an adjustable doorway pullup bar you can use it the same way. In fact you can adjust the height even better by placing it wherever you need to.

That’s a great idea. I have an iron gym pull up bar but it’s not adjustable I just ordered an adjustable one. Thanks!

You can use it for a whole lot of other exercises, too. For example Rows, Nordic Curls, Biceps Curls, Triceps Extensions or Pistol Squat Progressions.

Personally I think that push-ups and rows are probably the best uses of the Smith Machine!

Blake Nelson

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom