all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Smoking

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There are several posters of bicycle riders having a cigarette break in the middle of the Tour de France because they were convinced it opened up their lungs.
I should have mentioned that these pictures are nearly a century old - no one thinks that or does that nowadays.

-S-

I'm not sure about the rest of the world but here in Australia the government has put that much tax on tobacco that they are prohibitively expensive. The idea is to encourage people to quit and protect their health. The government is making much more money from tobacco sales than the big tobacco companies.

The irony is that many people from lower socio economic groups still smoke and they often can't afford to buy food and the food they do buy is basically devoid of any nourishment, so their health is worse than it would be if tobacco was cheap.

The last I heard a packet of 40 cigarettes was around $40

There are several posters of bicycle riders having a cigarette break in the middle of the Tour de France because they were convinced it opened up their lungs.
-S-

Funnily enough, when Theodore Roosevelt was a young boy suffering from asthma, they had him smoke cigars because they figured it would help.

(I believe what actually did allow him to recover to some degree was vigorous exercise).

I was a cigarette smoker for 35 years, 57 now. Quit 7 years ago and will never look back. Not only the money in the commode, but what may happen to my health down the road is sometimes on my mind. Currently no side affects other than my breathing could be a little better I bet. But my dyno numbers are good for a guy my age during yearly lung tests. Go figure?

If you smoke, stop now. That's all tobacco products for that matter. It's not worth it. Better looking teeth, skin, not smelling like an ashtray, no more hacking/coughing, and a few extra bucks in your pocket. Yeah, I'm now a hater of tobacco. .......

Never smoked cigarettes but have smoked a truck load of weed in my time & I mixed it with tobacco. The tobacco was the addictive component (just my experience). Once I cut the tobacco from the pot I found it much easier to kick that particular drug habit. Despite the obvious effects on your health, having something that controlling in your life is not good. As mentioned before here in Australia cigarettes are really expensive & I personally know people that buy them before food.

When I was in Okinawa and Tokyo doing karate stuff, I saw a number of Sensei and students still smoking.
The culture of smoking still is strong in Asia and other parts of the world.
I grew up in a family of smokers, yet I never took up the habit. But I'm sure I smoked my fair share from second hand smoke. Thinking of those long car trips as a kid, with the windows rolled up. No wonder I was always car sick!

Al

Smokers die on average 10 years younger than non-smokers and that statistic is largely due to very adverse health outcomes for about 1/3 of smokers. So while that's not every smoker the odds of it causing you grief are high. Out of all of the vices it's the one that I'd be dropping. But if you have to smoke then at least improve your chances with plenty of vegetables, exercise and health check ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom