all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatch and bicep fatigue

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You might think about being a little quicker with straightening your arm at the very top for the lockout. One cue I like is to "Raise your hand like you're a first grader who has the right answer!"
I just try to get a feel for snatching right TO the lockout point, which takes a lot of reps with different weights and is something I'm always trying to refine.

I think of this as "snatching on the line." I imagine where the lockout point will be, and make that my target. Then I imagine a vertical line straight down from that point and imagine snatching on that line. That's not literally going to be the bell path, but it's a visualization that helps me hit that target of the lockout point.

If I am snatching right to that target point, I'm not leaving the bell out front, I'm not overshooting and letting it pull my arm back, I'm not pressing it out or having to reel it in, and I'm not letting it get too far outside my body or too close to the center line.

Most importantly I'm calibrating my hip drive so the bell flies right to that point and my hand just has to meet it. So there's no intention to the timing of my arm other than "meet the bell at the top."

This is another point that a hard style lifter can take from the Ksenia Dedyukhina video posted earlier. Starting at about 4:55 (video is cued to that point below) Joe Daniels comments in the narration about how consistent her lockout is. She hits the same point every time, rep after rep:

it does appear to me as though the transition to the bottom is much smoother.
and it seems as though getting to the top of the follow-up rep is easier.
I would guess it's from better loading in the hips.

all-in-all stronger looking reps. great progress between the two videos, here.
I believe the real culprit to be timing on the downswing, because I never felt the strain in my first rep. I sometimes want to start my upward motion too soon instead of waiting for the bell to reach its bottom most point of the catch/hinge. I was causing a “pull” away from the bell with my upper body. I did it a few times today, but also did a few reps that I waited and they felt much better.

It’s definitely a difficult movement to try and incorporate multiple changes all at once because I do have to move somewhat quickly, Even if theyre shuttle changes like the timing of my breath. When I do swings and cleans my breath times perfect with my hips for some reason when I snatch I naturally want to do breathe after… so I took some mental gymnastics for me to try that this morning lol.

I plan on snatching a lot in the future as the overall bang for your Buck is so great so I want to get it right.

One more update. It’s seems as though. I have fixed the issue for now lol. Friday I did mostly half snatches to try and eliminate for sure which part of the movement was causing me issues. And it was definitely the catch. Something clicked for me Friday, that the half snatch and the snatch aren’t much different. I sped up my half snatches and found taking that same path back down and really tucking the elbow to the side made a huge difference. One thing I liked but didn’t love was the deep grip with chalk. Only because it ripped my hand up quickly and I’ve never had issues with my hands because they’re worn out from construction already. Either way I did my KSK session today at a regional park before hitting a 4 mile ruck. It was a nice morning and the ruck was the only thing that kicked my a#@ today, not bicep soreness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom