all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatch form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi @Macemurfy , I like your homemade kettlebell! It's neat to see people getting creative with those in these times where they are so hard to find.

Your snatch style is somewhat between hardstyle and GS-style. Both are good, even a hybrid is fine... but I'd be interested to hear more about your goals to see if steering your towards one or the other might suit you better.

Generally, I'd see if you can get your back a littel less rounded -- try to tighten up, in the hinge position, make a big chest and think about putting your shoulderblades in your opposite back pockets. All this will help you get legs and hips more efficiently transferring force.

75 lb snatch is great! Nice work overall.

Thanks @Anna C !

As for goals, right now it's fat loss. I outlined my programming in this thread a while back:

Down 27 lbs so far. Ended up going for more sets per session and it seems to be working well.

After the fat loss, I'm going to get back to the barbell while keeping kb as cardio. I see what you mean about the rounded back, I think some of that comes from the size of that kb, its hard to do the between the legs portion due to its handle and just overall bulk. I'll try to see if I still round my back with the standard sized rogue.

I'm sure the difference in styles has been outlined elsewhere, but what would I need to do to go more hardstyle? The hip explosiveness?

... its hard to do the between the legs portion due to its handle and just overall bulk.

I learned from one of Anna's videos to rotate my wrist on the way down so that my wrist is almost turned 90 degrees in the back of my swing. This way the handle of the bell is in the narrower direction as it passes between your legs. I originally found it helpful to take some of the torque off my hand at the bottom of the swing as the bells got heavier. I use comp bells and later I used a friends cast bells and the handles were noticeable wider. That rotating definitely helped. Maybe Anna will comment on this.

Last edited:
I leaned from one of Anna's videos to rotate my wrist on the way down so that my wrist is almost turned 90 degrees in the back of my swing. This way the handle of the bell is in the narrower direction as it passes between your legs. I originally found it helpful to take some of the torque off my hand at the bottom of the swing as the bells got heavier. I use comp bells and later I used a friends cast bells and the handles were noticeable wider. That rotating definitely helped. Maybe Anna will comment on this.

Yes that's my usual style and preferred, though I did experiment recently with thumb forward in the back swing. All things considered, I think my preference for myself and for teaching others is to rotate the hand so the thumb faces backwards in the back swing. Maybe not all the way, but towards backwards.

I'm sure the difference in styles has been outlined elsewhere, but what would I need to do to go more hardstyle? The hip explosiveness?

Yes, that's the main thing. Fast and explosive on the upswing, raise your hand fast on the catch. The other thing is more of a jump with the legs, hip and knee extension together... if you watch yours in slow-mo you can see your legs come forward in the upswing, that's a GS thing... don't worry too much about it, it's not a "fault" per se. Just focus on being explosive and that will lead you towards hardstyle.

Definitely helpful to rotate inward on the down-swing. It isn't super obvious in the video, but I must have seen the same video because I almost make it a point to rotate. Mostly to save my hands lol. For reference, my profile pic is my KBs, you can see the size difference a little better. Thanks @Oso Rojo !

@Anna C I think I understand what you mean by the "jump". I see what you mean by the legs coming forward, and I'm noticing a lot of "toes" in my upswing. This seems to be more of a jump, but should it be more rooted in the heels for this application? It seems like that would counter the legs coming forward.

@Anna C I think I understand what you mean by the "jump". I see what you mean by the legs coming forward, and I'm noticing a lot of "toes" in my upswing. This seems to be more of a jump, but should it be more rooted in the heels for this application? It seems like that would counter the legs coming forward.

Yes, focus on pushing the whole foot into the ground on the upswing to generate upward force, as you would with an arrested vertical jump where you don't actually leave the ground.

The heel raise isn't an error either, even in hardstyle, but does bring the snatch a bit towards GS.

Saw this on Instagram feed yesterday... a really good example of a hardstyle snatch, producing force into the ground to snatch a heavy weight:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom