all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatch hook grip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fractal

Level 7 Valued Member
I've noticed that strangely, my stronger/dominant side has less fingertip strength when it comes to catching snatches past the callouses in the hook.

NB: not to be confused with the barbell hook grip, where the thumb is locked

As a result, I can't hip drive or drop with as much consistency or confidence as the other side, especially later in a session.
This means my right hand takes a bigger beating and I have to be careful with overextending my back to compensate for hip drive.

I've started incorporating some fingertip/hook hanging which I hope will help.
The side to side difference is noticeable during these hangs (+/-30%).
It's improving with snatching, but is struggling to keep pace with the programmed increases in volume.
Heavier one handed swings would be great, but more ballistics aren't possible for the next few months.
Carries might be another option.
Any suggestions?

I had the same troubles and to be honest I've never mastered the clean transfer of the bell handle to be hooked in the fingers in the snatch unless it's a light weight. But, my hands got toughed up to snatch anyway. I would say just keep snatching... Also as @Steve W. always points out, be mindful of how you yank the bell back up from the backswing, minimizing or at least modulating the drag on your grip... it makes a big difference.

I found the flip, where you lay down with your forearm on the floor, and flip the bell over your hand helped me.

Edit: I started with 8kg and now can do 16kg front and back. The only thing for me is I can only do them once or twice, at the most, per week due to wrist issues it causes.

I had the same troubles and to be honest I've never mastered the clean transfer of the bell handle to be hooked in the fingers in the snatch unless it's a light weight. But, my hands got toughed up to snatch anyway. I would say just keep snatching... Also as @Steve W. always points out, be mindful of how you yank the bell back up from the backswing, minimizing or at least modulating the drag on your grip... it makes a big difference.

I understand it has a lot to do with hand size as well. Being smaller framed myself at 5'7, 150-155lbs, the margin for error with the transfer is a lot less than I imagine it would be for an NBA player. I would think it's a technique issue, except the weakness is equally present on non-technical challenges to grip like hanging.

The hotspots have moved from the typical callous spot on the upper palm to under my second knuckle on my fingers, so I'm definitely catching further down my hand. To your point, maybe my baby smooth fingers just need some toughening up.

I'll pay attention to the drag on the transition from the hinge - thanks!

For shoulder protection and consistent snatch technique I've adopted a rigid straight arm pinned to the torso, packed shoulder coming out of the hole, then a bell yank about low belt height. From there I wait for the bell to rise a bit and punch up solidly holding the plank and balancing on heels and big toes.
I noticed when I started doing this consistently everything got better, grip, shoulder, elbows, back position and flex along with breath control.

I noticed this stuff doing VWC but could get away with some slack using the lighter bell. Now the 24 feels light but I must care for my shoulder health. The technique I described above makes for less sloppiness overall. Timing out of the hole is critical, mistiming costs in grip and bell velocity. I tested the technique with the 28 as well and the results were good.

We're doing enough snatches now where the main event (snatching) will make your fingers stronger. Just hang in there.:)

For shoulder protection and consistent snatch technique I've adopted a rigid straight arm pinned to the torso, packed shoulder coming out of the hole, then a bell yank about low belt height. From there I wait for the bell to rise a bit and punch up solidly holding the plank and balancing on heels and big toes.
I noticed when I started doing this consistently everything got better, grip, shoulder, elbows, back position and flex along with breath control.

I noticed this stuff doing VWC but could get away with some slack using the lighter bell. Now the 24 feels light but I must care for my shoulder health. The technique I described above makes for less sloppiness overall. Timing out of the hole is critical, mistiming costs in grip and bell velocity. I tested the technique with the 28 as well and the results were good.

We're doing enough snatches now where the main event (snatching) will make your fingers stronger. Just hang in there.:)

Great cue, thanks! I'll try to be mindful of this as well

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom