all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatch test training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

I'm extremely curious to hear stories about training time needed to complete the snatch test. There is a SFG certification in my hometown in 4 and 1/2 months that I would love to do but am hesitant now for 2 reasons - 1. cost (I understand its worth it but at this time it may not be viable - especially as I'm in Canada and the dollar is horrific right now) and 2. amount of time left to train for it. see below...

Background - 26yo male, 5'9, 152 lbs (69 kg), 8-10% body fat as of a month ago. FMS I score a 17 with no 1's but a few asymmetries - shoulders (2/3 I've lost internal rotation on my right arm - very likely due to years of high performance baseball) and 3/2 Hurdle step (I have R ankle dorisiflexion restrictions I'm working on). 3's are DS, ILL, TSPU

I'm healthy, recently coming off a minor issue with my left shoulder that prevented me from pressing. Former university baseball player, recreational volleyball, always been fit. I can DL 2x my bodyweight for 3, Front squat 1.25x BW for 3, bench a little over 1x BW for 3. As for KB's, I've pressed a 24kg 3x with my right (dominant side), but unable to get it up on the left.

I'm currently doing the S&S plan, with the eventual goal of moving to ROP and attempting to press 1/2 my body weight. Want to get my KB goals before I move on to body weight goals. One arm one leg pushup is my dream. I already pistol 5x easy on both sides, and can do 3 strict pullups with body weights + 12 kg

I do get ups with a 24 kg (5 each side in 10 minutes), but right now would not be able to pass the 5 min swing test with that bell. If I give myself 45 seconds every 10 swings instead of 30, I could do it. If I did the snatch test with a 16kg, I would expect to get about 60-70 right now. Definitely would not hit the 100 in 5 minutes.

I've spent a long long time on my C&P and snatch technique, read Pavel's stuff for over 2 years. I have a lot of trouble snatching a 24kg for more than 1-2x with good technique.

Based on these numbers, would it be realistic for me to expect myself to be able to do the snatch test with these numbers? I'm a little pessimistic about it honestly. Any thoughts?

I should say my biggest concern is my disadvantage in weight. I'm a small guy so the snatch test bell is 1/3 my body weight

Seek out an SFG instructor and allow him/her to assist in your decision making and/or preparation. If you are having doubts, it is very likely you are not ready.

Having never been to one of strongfirst classes, I would try there basics course before trying to get certified.

I weighed in 66,6 kg (ahem) at my cert. Two years later at level 2 same thing (ahem, ahem). I finished my snatch was at 4:30. Light weight is not the issue.

The keys are:

- do your swings (gradually get to swinging 32 kg-36) and get-ups
- work on excellent snatch technique - with lighter bell, and with snatch size bell. The technique needs to be perfect, nothing more.
- have confidence. We had a 70 kg gentleman without two fingers at our cert, and he passed his snatch test with flying colors. No excuses, it is not that hard as everybody thinks.

We use our Brett Jones' program all the time, and it never failed to deliver the results.

So, 100% doable, but - I just think that not in 4 months. I recommend minimum 6, and preferably 9 months of time to prepare for SFG1. Worth it? Absolutely. The roads the goal.

light guy here as well
(132 lbs at my level 1 145 at my level 2)

is it grip, hip snap, endurance or a mix of both that is your limiting factor for the snatch test??

This will determine which approach will best suit you

next, how sharp are your level 1 skills?

Wes, I recently completed 2 of the SF protocols myself. The results were as follows:

523A -
(Pre test) 24kg x 100/5:00 and more difficult than it should have been
(Post test) 24kg x 120/4:45 and much easier than the first test with time to spare

523B -
(Pre test) used above 120 as baseline
Post test) 24kg x 126/5:00, did not have benefit of seeing timer to keep pace, but easier than the first test

In hindsight, I would not have completed these back to back, but enjoyed a 2 week stint of Easy Strength work between the protocols.

Bottom line, the training plans are very effective and be diligent about not adding/subtracting anything to maintain the integrity. The results will follow.

Shawn

Thank you very much everyone for the responses - I'll clarify some of your questions

Shawn - I have access to one, who has helped with with technique we have so far been unable to go further in depth (time constraints on both our ends). He has been extremely helpful already however.

Buffalo - I actually had been looking at a course first rather than a certification, but none within an 8 hour drive of me that I could attend yet. My preference would be to do a course first. I'm interested in the cert goals more than the qualification itself though and some point I definitely do want to certify. I'm currently applying for a masters degree in physiotherapy and it can only help me.

Pavel M - much appreciate, I had forgotten Brett's program in the blog. Definitely something I will incorporate. Thank you for the honesty in the timeline suggestion as well. It is something that I will accomplish one day -but you are right, perhaps not in 4 months.

Mark - I believe my Level 1 skills are sharp, but I have not yet taken a course/cert, rather used Pavel's books and SF videos and such as reference guides. I am a big believer in precision technique, am a stickler for stopping when I feel technique deteriorate, etc. but I'm sure I am not perfect. In my mind, grip strength may be the number one sticking point, and endurance two. I feel relatively confident in my hip snap up until I get winded, and I know I lose form and stop.

Pavel - I would love to learn about that, thank you very much for the suggestion.

ok would you mind posting your skills vids for us to critique? Everyone can benefit from a form tweak

You're only able to complete reps alactically right now, and endurance is one of your two stated weak points. Low intensity cardio may play a supporting role here.

I'm primarily a GS athlete, but to put in reference, I never did collegiate sports, about your size, and am only slightly stronger than you (2.6 BW DL, BW Bench for a set of 10), taking my DL from 305 to 396 had marginal effect on my snatching acumen. Running frequently however, and practicing the snatch in high volumes with frequent rest....big impact. The Snatch as a lift has you bearing load for a relatively short period of time, and a long relaxation phase. This allows a lot of blood to return to the heart, and let aerobic capacity work it's magic. Given the length of time you have to prepare, having a longer volume acquisition phase with submaximal weights and frequent light runs before tapering into an event prep plan (one of the listed above) seems like a pretty intelligent way to apply phase potentiation.

So I think something like "do lots of volume with the 16kg for 8 weeks, increasing either total volume or pace week to week, while using easy runs regulated by HR for 30 plus minutes several times a week", and then transitioning into a snatch plan centered around the competitive event listed above, would allow you to build up superior recovery, technique, and volume tolerance prior to dialing in the heavy work.

Given the length of time you have to prepare, having a longer volume acquisition phase with submaximal weights and frequent light runs before tapering into an event prep plan (one of the listed above) seems like a pretty intelligent way to apply phase potentiation.

This sir, is sheer poetry.

Pavel,

Plan A was much easier to perform from my experience. Although, I feel the 2 min cadence work should be performed with the Snatch test weight for both protocols especially if not Deadlifting while following the program. Thoughts?

Hello all,

small update - I have decided to forego the certification at this point. Had a small setback with the shoulder. My new plan is still to take most of your advice and work to achieve my goal, however I will do the certification at another time.

As soon as I am able I plan to post video's of my technique as I would love a critique from you all. The advice already has helped me very much. I would like to thank you all for the advice, present and future!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom