all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatches and torso rotation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
North Coast Miller
So Zar isn't perfect ;-]

But seriously - if you watch his swings vs. snatches you will see the drive of the free arm is what is creating the small amount of rotation that is there (I would argue the rotation is across the shoulders and does not travel down the rest of the spine)

The hard part of being on video and trying to be perfect is you inevitably have a bit of something creep in.

Also - you said maintaining a neutral spine in squat and DL isn't possible - I would say it should be but that is JMO.

Well...nobody's perfect!

I agree that a good part of the perceived rotation is scapular movement, but the hips not being dead flat can have only one outcome. Is all part of working asymmetrical loads.

It would also be pretty curious if you could extend your shoulders in that manner with a load applied and not have the spine follow the movement.

I like to think my lumbar only shifts a small bit as well, but if measured carefully I'm not so sure it isn't a good bit more. It doesn't take a lot of flex or extension to equal a lot of total + movement.

From article over on Stronger by Science:
"Even when participants are cued to execute the movement with a neutral spine (and under careful observation by experts such as Dr. Stuart McGill), we still see lumbar flexion occur. Within a squat, there is 40° of flexion occurring, 26° of flexion during a kettlebell swing, and 25° of flexion during a good morning.

This elucidates the point of neutral spine being more a range than a specific position. If during most “functional” movements we see the spine flex up to approximately 40°, then what exactly is the neutral zone?"

Edit to add:
Those counterbalanced swings I demo in the video on last page seem to dampen the rotational tendency almost entirely. They are also a lot tougher than a standard version at a given load, letting one know the action of the off arm does contribute on the uphill and adds to rotational force on the downhill.

Last edited:
What to Do With Your Free Hand During a One-arm Swing | StrongFirst

The article above shows some options for the swing and what it looks like when the rotation goes too far.

I would argue that the experience of those being used in the studies had (or would have) a significant impact on what is being found as well as type of squat etc...
If I am remembering correctly the 7 subjects in the KB swing article had limited experience.
So many devils in those details....

Do you have a link to the Stronger by Science article?

Agree on the "intension vs. Reality" aspect of coaching/performing a movement.

The article above shows some options for the swing and what it looks like when the rotation goes too far.

I would argue that the experience of those being used in the studies had (or would have) a significant impact on what is being found as well as type of squat etc...
If I am remembering correctly the 7 subjects in the KB swing article had limited experience.

I just finished a session of snatches and tried to be more mindful of my free arm. When I swing I quite like coming up to the guard position each rep. I found that didn’t quite work with snatching as it reflexively unlocked my elbow on the lockout.

With a matched arm swing from the bottom of the hinge to about 45 degrees of flexion, I was able to really tap into my hinge, stay square and use much less arm and torso to muscle it up. An unbelievable difference actually. Now I just need to figure out why I tend to overgrip with my stronger side.

Should You Fear Lumbar Flexion? • Stronger by Science

The related links are in the article as you go. Interesting read - doesn't really contradict any established training guidelines but does put it in context.

I’ve always felt like I get rotation through my hips in the snatch, which makes it look like my torso is rotated but in reality if it is then it is very minimal. It may not be so much rotation through the hips as it is a hinging into the opposite hip a little more which causes the opposite shoulder to drop down a bit. Just my thoughts

I’ve always felt like I get rotation through my hips in the snatch, which makes it look like my torso is rotated but in reality if it is then it is very minimal. It may not be so much rotation through the hips as it is a hinging into the opposite hip a little more which causes the opposite shoulder to drop down a bit. Just my thoughts

One hand swings and snatches.. They should be identical and impossible to discern between still photos of the two from deep in the hinge to about where the bell fully clears the hips in front or just before the bell yank portion of the snatch.

At least that's what I attempt to do :)

@Bret S. , it is the same for me in the one arm swing, and I agree. I just didn’t mention the swing because the OP mentioned the snatch. One arm swing or snatch, I get into the opposite hip a bit more and it makes the shoulder drop a bit. My spine is still straight. If it is rotated slightly it is negligible.

"Even when participants are cued to execute the movement with a neutral spine (and under careful observation by experts such as Dr. Stuart McGill), we still see lumbar flexion occur. Within a squat, there is 40° of flexion occurring, 26° of flexion during a kettlebell swing, and 25° of flexion during a good morning.

I click through and all I get is a pubmed abstract with none of these numbers quoted. Any way I can get access to this?

40 degrees of lumbar flexion in a squat??? Pretty crummy squatters IMO. That's terminal lumbar flexion in some folks. 40-60 degrees of lumbar flexion is the average range of flexion in the lumbar spine as noted from my Magee's Orthopedic text. After that it's all hip flexion. So the people squatting down and getting 40 degrees of lumbar flexion are way past a neutral range. Maybe 5-15 degrees could be considered okay. If the subjects in those studies were getting that much lumbar flexion doing these moves while trying to maintain a neutral spine then they have pretty poor or untrained proprioceptive capacity in the moves that were studied. I've got quite a few patients who could be studied who would fit the bill for this. They have no idea what their spine is doing as they bend (even when they think they do) and it takes work to teach them to keep it straight.

I'm prepared to eat my words, but I'm pretty sure McGill would balk at the idea of 40 degrees of lumbar flexion while loading the spine in a squat being healthy.

Last edited:
I click through and all I get is a pubmed abstract with none of these numbers quoted. Any way I can get access to this?

40 degrees of lumbar flexion in a squat??? Pretty crummy squatters IMO. That's terminal lumbar flexion in some folks. 40-60 degrees of lumbar flexion is the average range of flexion in the lumbar spine as noted from my Magee's Orthopedic text. After that it's all hip flexion. So the people squatting down and getting 40 degrees of lumbar flexion are way past a neutral range. Maybe 10-20 degrees could be considered okay. If the subjects in those studies were getting that much lumbar flexion doing these moves while trying to maintain a neutral spine then they have pretty poor or untrained proprioceptive capacity in the moves that were studied. I've got quite a few patients who could be studied who would fit the bill for this. They have no idea what their spine is doing as they bend (even when they think they do) and it takes work to teach them to keep it straight.

I'm prepared to eat my words, but I'm pretty sure McGill would balk at the idea of 40 degrees of lumbar flexion while loading the spine in a squat being healthy.
+1

40 degrees of lumbar flexion in a squat??? Pretty crummy squatters IMO. That's terminal lumbar flexion in some folks. 40-60 degrees of lumbar flexion is the average range of flexion in the lumbar spine as noted from my Magee's Orthopedic text. After that it's all hip flexion. So the people squatting down and getting 40 degrees of lumbar flexion are way past a neutral range. Maybe 10-20 degrees could be considered okay. If the subjects in those studies were getting that much lumbar flexion doing these moves while trying to maintain a neutral spine then they have pretty poor or untrained proprioceptive capacity in the moves that were studied. I've got quite a few patients who could be studied who would fit the bill for this. They have no idea what their spine is doing as they bend (even when they think they do) and it takes work to teach them to keep it straight.

Yes, pubmed abstract sucks...
However a little digging reveals possible lumbar total ROM (full extension to full flexion) to be 60-80° with the upper number being for younger folk and about 10-12° flex and 5-10° extension loss in older folk.

I agree the 40° sounds excessive, but maybe not so much. Other studies have shown mid to upper 20s for bodyweight squats with increased deviation under load (unspecified) and no data for starting amount of lordosis. I know if you stuff the back of your hand hard against the midpoint of your lumbar spine and perform a bodyweight squat you will absolutely feel the angle change.

As the squat goes lower and the hips begin to flex that lumbar is going to straighten out, add to that the momentum factor at the bottom of all ballistic movements.

Still, 20-30° many would consider large just tossing numbers around, I find it very believable.

And as I suggested above, some flexion probably not a bad idea in a low squat anyway, and less relevant at lighter loads. Not that I would take form lightly, there's a big difference between intent, reality, and how far out of whack stuff has to be to generate a true increase in injury risk.

Functional Anatomy of the Spine by Middleditch and Oliver:
"Tension in the thoracolumbar fascia can also be increased by motion of the arms, legs and trunk. Posterior rotation of the pelvis causes an increase in flexion at he lumbosacral junction and hence increases tension in the thoracolumbar fascia. Lumbar spine flexion also passively increases tension in the thoracolumbar fascia. Competitive weightlifters may flex or 'round out' the lumbosacral area and it is suggested that this affords some protection by increasing tension in the thoracolumbar fascia and posterior ligamentous structures, thereby contributing to stability in the low lumbar area (Dolan et al, 1994)."

One handed swings or snatches I feel increase in tension across to the opposite hip/leg/foot from the load bearing arm. This effect also "lightens" the foot under the loaded arm to some extent.

However a little digging reveals possible lumbar total ROM (full extension to full flexion) to be 60-80° with the upper number being for younger folk and about 10-12° flex and 5-10° extension loss in older folk.

Moving from flexion to extension is different from moving from neutral to flexion, and clearly there will be more movement. But that’s not the point. Moving into and out of lumbar flexion under load (and 40 degrees is way out of a neutral range and close to terminal flexion) is generally bad for the spine. This has been preached by McGill for a looooong time. It’s all over in his literature.

There are a lot of references being made to studies showing these degrees of movement with no actual references. Did they show that it was safe to do repeatedly under load- I doubt it. Sure you will flex your spine down in a deep squat. Unloaded is not a big deal. If you’re loading it and moving back and forth 40 degrees from flexion to neutral you are asking for it. Heck, McGill has shown sit-ups to be enough to injure the low back through repeated flexion and he has been involved in trying to get sit-ups thrown out of the military programs.

Competitive weightlifters may flex or 'round out' the lumbosacral area and it is suggested that this affords some protection by increasing tension in the thoracolumbar fascia and posterior ligamentous structures, thereby contributing to stability in the low lumbar area (Dolan et al, 1994)."

Forgive me if I’m coming off strong. Im just being direct :) I’m tired and was up all night cutting up a moose. The above quote makes a suggestion. A 24 year old suggestion. No real evidence to show it is safe. Plus, we know we can increase tension through the thoracolumbar fascia by anti shrugging, which is completely safe. We also know rounding the lumbar spine decreases the ability of the lumbar multifidus to stabilize the spine. Why risk it when the majority of evidence, literature, and clinical findings show that moving the lumbar spine under load is risky?

Sure I believe there is a neutral range where we may get away with a little motion of the spine under load. I don’t think it is as big as some of the numbers stated.

Last edited:
@rickyw,
Don't misunderstand my POV, I'm not advocating a lot of flexion/rotation or even a little. In practice I strongly believe one should strive for a neutral spine, whatever that is understood to be by the individual within a common sense definition (know it when you see it).

My point was that some is unavoidable, in addition to some rotation in the 1 arm swing or snatch, and that the amount is larger than most folks would believe of themselves. Furthermore, the amount of shifting is load and range dependent - the initial lumbar angle standing free is not going to stay the same once a load is put on it and it won't stay the same as the hips are flexed/rotated into a squat or hinge. And it probably shouldn't. Put someone in a full upperbody cast that allowed no flexion or rotation and have them do heavy 1A swings or snatches they'd probably fall over, right after they hit their leg with the kettlebell.

While I'm unwilling to pay for access to the referenced McGill study, some web crawling revealed it has been linked in several discussions about flexion under load, I have no reason to disbelieve the numbers. That said, nowhere was it stated McGill being OK with that amount of flexion, or that the 40° was an average - probably an outlier cited for dramatic effect in the article(s). It was stated that people coached to perform these movements executed them under McGill's direction and observation and that is what he recorded.

Another point that was illustrated in the Stronger by Science article - most of the research showing varying degrees of flexion through extension under load and their failure modes is almost 100% taken from insanely high movement cycles on cadaverous spines which are incapable of healing or remodeling, some of the studies didn't even use human spines at that.

Image below, the hips aren't dead across (so some rotation already) and the upper torso is slightly counter-rotated. Not a lot of either, but between the two there is definitely some.

A little bit is probably not only unavoidable but a good thing until you start using too much of that action to drive the load.

It's definitely unavoidable with heavier bells.

Per @Anna C 's point, it' rotation under load while loose that can cause problems.

The point of hardstyle is to not use that action to drive the load, shoulder dip or no dip. The hips drive the load, the shoulders square back up when the bell is floating. Tensing the body to minimize shoulder dip ensures spine safety as there is no rotation under load.

Don't misunderstand my POV, I'm not advocating a lot of flexion/rotation or even a little. In practice I strongly believe one should strive for a neutral spine, whatever that is understood to be by the individual within a common sense definition (know it when you see it).
Excellent

While I'm unwilling to pay for access to the referenced McGill study, some web crawling revealed it has been linked in several discussions about flexion under load, I have no reason to disbelieve the numbers. That said, nowhere was it stated McGill being OK with that amount of flexion, or that the 40° was an average - probably an outlier cited for dramatic effect in the article(s). It was stated that people coached to perform these movements executed them under McGill's direction and observation and that is what he recorded.

It's not the numbers I disbelieve, but the context in which the numbers are being understood. For example, this quote from the article you posted:

“Even when participants are cued to execute the movement with a neutral spine (and under careful observation by experts such as Dr. Stuart McGill), we still see lumbar flexion occur. Within a squat, there is 40° of flexion occurring, 26° of flexion during a kettlebell swing, and 25° of flexion during a good morning. This elucidates the point of neutral spine being more a range than a specific position. If during most “functional” movements we see the spine flex up to approximately 40°, then what exactly is the neutral zone?”

I found the original papers Sam Spinelli is quoting from. Enter their titles into Google Scholar and there they are. In reference to the squat reaching 40 degrees of lumbar flexion, the following quote from the original article:

"The subjects did two types of lifts in the sagittal plane: one in which they bent predominantly at the knees with the trunk slightly flexed and the other in which they bent predominantly at the trunk with the knees slightly flexed. For the purposes of classification these where called "squat" and "stoop" lifts, respectively"(1).

I must interject here by saying nowhere in this article does it say that the authors taught their subjects to lift with a neutral spine (sorry Mr. Spinelli). The purpose of the paper as stated at the end of its introduction "was to examine the interplay between muscular and ligamentous sources of extensor moment and the resultant loading of the L4-5 joint by comparing lifts with varying degrees of trunk segment flexion"(1). They then had subjects lift varying loads under 32.4kg with each technique-no neutral spine involved. The authors noted this was under the "maximum permissible limit" of 6400 N set by OSHA (1). This article is about which lifting technique causes more stress to the L4-5 segment. They are merely studying different ways people commonly pick things up. I can say that clinically I have seen people injured both ways, but the stoop lifting technique more commonly appears to cause injury, which coincides with their findings. In the results section they state that with the squat technique people were reaching 40 degrees of lumbar flexion with only 64 degrees of trunk flexion total. So Mr Spinelli grabbed that number and ran with it-out of context. The authors conclude "the risk of injury may be influenced more by the degree of lumbar flexion rather than the choice of stoop or squat technique" (1).

Regarding the reference to good mornings causing 25 degrees of lumbar flexion. I can find no reference in the original article on how the subjects were coached (2). Once again, I do not doubt the numbers. I doubt the self awareness of the subjects and their ability to maintain a neutral spine, truly hinge through the hips, and stop before lumbar flexion occurs.

In the article on the kettlebell swing, it DOES state that the subjects (all whopping seven of them), were coached to get the kettlebell swing and snatch right before starting the study. They were also instructed to maintain a neutral spine. They obviously didn't maintain it throughout the swing/snatch, because they did show 26 degrees of lumbar flexion to 6 degrees of lumbar extension throughout the move. And this makes perfect sense if you take somebody who walks with an anterior pelvis (most people these days), coach them briefly in a dynamic move, and then study them. Learning to maintain a neutral pelvis, which translates into a neutral spine, takes time. To do it dynamically is even more advanced. My thoughts, they had a neutral spine to start, once they got swinging, their pelvis failed to maintain neutrality and this led to increased lumbar movement. They were likely amateurs (or they wouldn’t have needed coaching to begin with), as @Brett Jones alluded to. If McGill had studied 7 SFGs, would the results be the same? Pavel was included in this study, but his results are discussed separately and his lumbar flexion angles are not mentioned (3).

Continuing from the discussion section of the article on the kettlebell swing:

"From another perspective, nearly all people who develop painful back conditions have movement flaws. Perhaps the most common is to move the spine when it is under load. Repeated compression of the spine while it is bending is the mechanism that leads to eventual disc bulges although this is modulated by disc size, shape, the magnitude of accompanying compressive load, to name a few variables (a synopsis of this literature is found in McGill [14]). The spine can withstand high loads if it is postured close to its neutral curvature. The ‘‘corrected movement pattern’’ requires ‘‘hip hinging’’ to bend and lift. This is incorporated in kettlebell swings with good form—that being hip motion rather than spine motion" (3).

So, do folks commonly show these lumbar angles when they lift. Yes. Is it optimal or ideal. I don't think so. Would time and more coaching reduce it. I think so. Truthfully, I think Mr Spinelli took some liberties in assuming the flexion angles stated represented a neutral range. None of the these papers state that the lumbar flexion angles shown in the lifts studied fell within a neutral range.

Personally, I don't think 25 degrees of flexion is close to a neutral curve. And, the neutral range likely varies by individual.

Thanks for the discussion. These long posts get muddled. I hope I make sense.

Sources:
  1. Potvin JR, McGill SM, Norman RW. Trunk muscle and lumbar ligalment contributions to dynamic lifts with varying degrees of trunk flexion. Spine. 1991;16(9):1099-1107.
  2. Vigotsky AD, Harper EN, Ryan DR, Contreras B. Effects of load on good morning kinematics and EMG activity. PeerJ. 2015;6(3):e708.
  3. McGill SM, Marshall LW. Kettlebell swing, snatch, and bottoms-up carry: back and hip muscle activation, motion, and low back loads. J Strength Cond Res. 2012;26(1):16-27.

Last edited:
@ rickyw,
Great find and thanks for the additional and much needed context!

I had done some digging and found other references to varying amounts of flexion in "typical" squat mechanics. Having studied many examples of other folks squat and swing and seeing how straightened out the lumbar becomes in most cases, I still find values in the 20°-30 ° range very much believable.

The lumbar flexion range during the descent phase for women in narrow and wide stance was 12.9° and 12.6°, respectively; for men, this range was significantly (p < 0.05) larger at 26.3° and 25.4°,

-https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47156847_The_Lumbar_and_Sacrum_Movement_Pattern_During_the_Back_Squat_Exercise

This is among a group of somewhat higher experience than a walk-on as they could at least squat more than their bodyweight. It also appears to illustrate the limitations of squat and hinge depth imposed by hip mechanics - something McGill has illustrated many times - as the women had significantly less flexion at (presumably) similar depth.

Again, my point isn't that this is a non-issue but that its a conceptual target and very few people maintain the neutral spine as effectively as they might think.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom