all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatches with S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hobbes

Level 6 Valued Member
Since May I’ve been doing 2 week blocs - alternating S&S with PTTP. I intend to stick with these basic programs as much as I can and see where they take me. But in the back of my mind I’m thinking of the TSC.

First off - I love the 2 week blocs alternating the two programs. Works great for the deadlift. I’m a former power lifter and have pulled over 600 lbs in several contests. So I’m comfortable I can get my dl up just fine with this framework.

I’m not really worried about programming for the pull-up. Doing discrete 4 week blocs of fighter pull-up program should work just fine. Prior to a sport related shoulder injury I got my pull-up up to 14 using the FPP. I think I can fit it in with the other two and get the pull-up number reasonable.

But the snatch may be an issue. I see 3 options:

1. As per Enter the Kettlebell, do 10-15 minutes practice during non-pull-up blocs. Just rely in my swings to increase capacity.
  2. Also as per EtK, do one ‘easy’ workout per week using the snatch instead of the swing. In this scenario I’d introduce ‘waviness’ to S&S as per Pavel’s article “From Simple to Sinister”. On the easiest day each week snatch.
  3. Do 2 week blocs of Quick & the Dead rather than S&S.
Am I missing anything? Does anyone have suggestions or a strong preference to one of the above options?

3 years ago there was a nice StrongFirst newsletter with a tip by Tim Almond. He recommended starting one session per week with a two minute snatch test. You would then wait 5-10 minutes and finish your ballistic reps for the day. (If you got 45 reps you would then do another 55 after the break).

Another version would be this protocol by Aleks Salkin
2 minutes: snatch on the minute
1 minute: rest
2 minutes: snatch on the minute

It’s easy to fill in that extra minute when the time comes, and it takes the mental pressure off a bit throughout the program.

With your 5-7 technical rep max bell, you will do your on-the-minute snatches thusly on your snatch day. You will snatch on both hands before setting it down according to the 2 on, 1 off, 2 on template. Be sure to do fast and loose each time you set the bell down.

Week 1: 3/3
Week 2: 4/4
Week 3: 5/5
Week 4: 4/4
Week 5: 5/5
Week 6: 6/6
Week 7: 5/5
Week 8: 6/6
Week 9: 7/7
Week 10: 6/6
Week 11: 7/7
Week 12: 8/8
Week 13: REST

For me personally, I found once I could do 7/7 using the above format, I was far beyond ready. Doing 56 snatches with 32kg in five minutes was more than enough to prep me to bang out the easiest snatch test of my life.

3 years ago there was a nice StrongFirst newsletter with a tip by Tim Almond. He recommended starting one session per week with a two minute snatch test. You would then wait 5-10 minutes and finish your ballistic reps for the day. (If you got 45 reps you would then do another 55 after the break).

Another version would be this protocol by Aleks Salkin

I like both of these. The Salkin approach would be more of a peaking. Tim Almond’s approach works well with Pavel’s “On the last session of each week push harder and occasionally all out and test yourself.” day.

Excellent discussions gentlemen..

I stuck with mostly Q and D and once a week S and S a few months back prior to recerting and then started only practicing the pace 3 weeks out so yes getting the feel for 2-3 minutes of an actual snatch test then building your base with other approaches is a great idea

Since May I’ve been doing 2 week blocs - alternating S&S with PTTP. I intend to stick with these basic programs as much as I can and see where they take me. But in the back of my mind I’m thinking of the TSC.

First off - I love the 2 week blocs alternating the two programs. Works great for the deadlift. I’m a former power lifter and have pulled over 600 lbs in several contests. So I’m comfortable I can get my dl up just fine with this framework.

I’m not really worried about programming for the pull-up. Doing discrete 4 week blocs of fighter pull-up program should work just fine. Prior to a sport related shoulder injury I got my pull-up up to 14 using the FPP. I think I can fit it in with the other two and get the pull-up number reasonable.

1. As per Enter the Kettlebell, do 10-15 minutes practice during non-pull-up blocs. Just rely in my swings to increase capacity.
  2. Also as per EtK, do one ‘easy’ workout per week using the snatch instead of the swing. In this scenario I’d introduce ‘waviness’ to S&S as per Pavel’s article “From Simple to Sinister”. On the easiest day each week snatch.
Am I missing anything? Does anyone have suggestions or a strong preference to one of the above options?

Have you tested yourself using the tactical pullup standard?

Check this article out that should help you out.

I've ran this in the past 4-5 days a week both with the deadlifting or without the deadlifting, using just the pull ups, swings and snatches and goblet squats as a warm up. I added the dl's in 8-12 weeks out. Another option I have run in the past is to do run Dan John's Easy Strength but swapping his sets and reps with PTTP sets and reps. I still did the dl's and presses but added in 50-100 swings or snatches, alternating daily, and 2 x 5 goblet squats, weighted pull ups and ab rollers.

Have you tested yourself using the tactical pullup standard?
Prior to tearing my rotator cuff I did a test where I did 9 very strict and maybe a 10th - my gym buddies said it was good but…

Right now I can’t get my chin over the bar without pain. Lots of pain.

Derek Toshner, StrongFirst Certified Master Instructor - great articles, most of them about the TSC.

My particular favorite is 12-Week TNT TSC Training Program | StrongFirst - from this article, "I will start by telling you that we mostly snatch." My own experience agrees with this advice. Of course, not every training program can focus on the kettlebell snatch, but in the past, whenever I was working on my kettlebell snatch regularly, everything else got better - endurance got better, strength got better.

-S-

Derek Toshner, StrongFirst Certified Master Instructor - great articles, most of them about the TSC.

My particular favorite is 12-Week TNT TSC Training Program | StrongFirst - from this article, "I will start by telling you that we mostly snatch." My own experience agrees with this advice. Of course, not every training program can focus on the kettlebell snatch, but in the past, whenever I was working on my kettlebell snatch regularly, everything else got better - endurance got better, strength got better.

-S-
I’ve done the TNT 12 week program. Obviously a good program - look at the results the Toshners and TNT have had with it.

Having said that - I’m trying at this time to start within the two week blocs of S&S and PTTP.

Prior to tearing my rotator cuff I did a test where I did 9 very strict and maybe a 10th - my gym buddies said it was good but…

Right now I can’t get my chin over the bar without pain. Lots of pain.

I am sorry to hear that. Those are some very good numbers.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom