all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snatching A A every day

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J Cox

Level 6 Valued Member
Need a little direction. Is it possible to snatch A A every day?I think some have said they do it, but I am not sure what they started with in doing so. Just trying to find a good place to start if anybody has some suggestions.

+1 to @rickyw

1-2x/week for tonic or maintenance
3-4x/week for actual improvements in strength/power/endurance/muscle development/feeling good/being able to use a heavier kettlebell, etc.

In this way it's much like LSD/cardio, or strength training (or pursuit of any new quality, really).

I did it 3times a week and will do so again.

To add to my inqutry, I can do S&S every day. Recovery isn't an issue, so I wondered if snatching every day would be similar. Granted I am not trying to crank out 500 snatches a day. Just looking at 20 repeats of 5 per day.
My background in snatches isn't that deep but I have spent the past three months getting my technique dialed in. I generally enjoy it, especially as an AA approach. I snatch the 24kg, which is just about right but light; I feel like a 28kg would be more of what I need, but I am waiting for the bell to come. Meanwhile, I am building my base.
Anybody have the time or experience to sort me out on this?

To add to my inqutry, I can do S&S every day. Recovery isn't an issue, so I wondered if snatching every day would be similar. Granted I am not trying to crank out 500 snatches a day. Just looking at 20 repeats of 5 per day.
My background in snatches isn't that deep but I have spent the past three months getting my technique dialed in. I generally enjoy it, especially as an AA approach. I snatch the 24kg, which is just about right but light; I feel like a 28kg would be more of what I need, but I am waiting for the bell to come. Meanwhile, I am building my base.
Anybody have the time or experience to sort me out on this?

You could try it, but I suspect your hands would not handle quite that much total volume, as @ShawnM said. And I think you would miss out on some benefits of building longer sessions. I just feel like the longer sessions bring about some more adaptations that you wouldn't get from a straight 20 repeats every session. A longer session is hard enough that you need a recovery day (or at least a day off from snatching), then you come back stronger. I'm just not sure snatches play by the same rules that swings do in S&S daily/moderate training. But, no proof of any of that... just my thoughts.

Gireviks do long sets of light snatches in gloves (cotton garden gloves). Forces the technique, murders the grip and saves the hands. An option for every day heavier snatching maybe? MAybe covering gloves in something sticky, like resin.

You could try it, but I suspect your hands would not handle quite that much total volume, as @ShawnM said. And I think you would miss out on some benefits of building longer sessions. I just feel like the longer sessions bring about some more adaptations that you wouldn't get from a straight 20 repeats every session. A longer session is hard enough that you need a recovery day (or at least a day off from snatching), then you come back stronger. I'm just not sure snatches play by the same rules that swings do in S&S daily/moderate training. But, no proof of any of that... just my thoughts.
That is very helpful. It's just one of those things that popped into my head. I am still at the stage of building up volume. I have taken care of my hands, and they have held up within reason. No tears.
I feel like A A snatches really suit me and have me listening to my body more than before. I would say doing ROP got me started on doing so (press ladders sneak up on you and forgive no fools), but this really has me in tune.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help and thoughts.
Don't worry, not going to put my hands through a snatching cheese grater.

Why nit snatch twice a week s and s twice a week?

Got the idea from @Pavel Macek
This is the formula I am seeing for myself. There is so much benefit to all of these, including the TGU and snatch being my favorite movements.
I played around with it the past 10 days, with S&S the day after AA snatches. I found a day off after that (ok, took the 32kg for a farmers walk on that day) worked really well. Before that I tried S&S sandwiched between snatch days. I wasn't hurting but there wasn't the fresh feeling if I tried to stack another day in there. So for me two on, snatch and S&S, one off (some active recovery/easy variety) and I am set.
My original question really just needed clarity on whether I could just make A A snatching a daily thing on its own, but I believe I have my answer.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom