all posts post new thread

Old Forum Snowboard racer S & C

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Soem details about my athlete's season: 7 races, 7 medals USA, Europe and Canada. Broke two "indestructible" boards.

Wiped out again in Colorado, smashed his goggles and ripped right out of his bindings, but still won! Each race has three runs. Also bruised a vertebrae in that one. Evan told me he was very conscious that our strength training program gave him the rugged resilience to dominate the next two runs and win the Gold. Right now slack line bothers his back, swings, arm-bars, and striker's floor press do not.

Evan just spent a week down in Hollywood shooting TV spots about the Paralympics. Watch for him. Now he's off to the Olympic training center for a week, got his eye on the 2018 regular Olympics.

eric i'm curious if you want to share more information.  how many days a week does he do strength training with you? how many days a week does he do technical training with the board? what were his lifting numbers a couple years ago and what are they now? and anything else you think is interesting about his training i'm happy to learn

i'm not sure i would guess that it is easier to mix in strength training with a sport like snow boarding than football or baseball? because snowboarding you can compete when you want, and train when you want, whereas other sports you are forced into team practices and have to schedule around that

Thank you Channing.

Latest thing: Evan just got back from the Olympic training center. He was very disappointed in their strength and conditioning  "program" there. He said it was like going to his third grade gym class. He suspects there has been no change there, and indeed no contact with the outside world since the 1950's. He kept his mouth shut though, as every one of his competitors seemed to buy into the OTC mode.  Evan sees this as a huge advantage to himself. He says he is blessed to have met me, and to become  acquainted with the wisdom of Pavel, Dan John, and SFG.

Evan does 3 sessions of S & C per week when possible. Each session is less than an hour. I am present if that is convenient. Technical training is catch as catch can. There may be a point of diminishing returns, we have not found it. Before he started training with me last December, Evan had never done any real strength training. First session he deadlifted an 80 lb KB, in a couple weeks he was deadlifting a 205 lb barbell. He has done 225, but 205 has been his training weight. Evan is about 5' 10" and 155 lbs. Thats missing one lower leg. We have not been driving up his training weights as most of the time since Dec has been in season.  We are about to have a decent off season S & C period though. Then we will be using heavier weight. Evan also does striker's floor press with  35  lb kettlebell, sometimes 40.  Double front squats with a 35 and a 40, swings with a 40 or sometimes a 35. His program is right out of PTTP and ES: simple, unexciting, and very effective.

Depending on what you want to accomplish, nowadays there is a season, and it's long.  Evan's next race is in July. Most of his strength training has been and will be, in season.

Some interesting developments: Evan did not race in July, next race Austria in October. Evan getting stronger and faster. 225 DL feels easy, 53 lb military press, solid.

Recently Evan was knocked off his bike by a truck, hit and run. He skidded on his back 30 feet and then another 10 feet on his hands and toes. He was on his way to train with me. Blood pouring out everywhere he got back on his bike and he did his training session. Evan is headed for even greater things and NOTHING can stop him. He credits our training together, in particular  a lift I call the striker's floor press, with his surviving so well being hit by the truck. Go to the Form is Function Facebook page to see pics of Evan's wounds. You can also see my student Lebin St John doing the striker's.

Eric

Thanks for the updates, I really enjoy them.  Tell that kid to be careful!

Phil

You're welcome Phil. Looks like Evan and I are going to be on Ron Jones' Lean Berets show very soon. Should be a blast.

OK, here's a good 45 minute interview where Evan and I explain what we do and how we do it. Enjoy.

http://www.theleanberets.com/podcast/evan-strong-eric-kenyon/

Evan is back at the OTC. Soon as he got there he pulled a PR deadlift, 287 lbs. This is at bodyweight 162. He's gained 8 pounds training with me. How much strength? Hard to say, maybe  60 or 75 % increase. He had to get fitted for a new mechanical leg a few weeks back because he had grown in size and strength.

http://www.strongevan.com/1/post/2013/09/evan-at-the-olympic-traioning-center-colorado-springs-co.html?

Been a year since I started training Evan. Strength increase we decided is approx 100 %. He is favorite to win gold in para-snowboard racing at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi Russia. We just spent 3 hours shooting video with NBC up at Evan's house. Look for us near the end of the Olympics when they begin doing intro stories for the Para-lympics.

Today a crew from Sports Illustrated shot two hours of video of Evan and I doing his S & C. SI has a web video site, quite extensive. Pieces from there often get picked up by other media outlets like ESPN. Should be up soon, I'll post links.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom