all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Snowed in? Low on steps? KB Waiter Walks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Well, we're not exactly snowed in.

But 8" is enough that it's tough to get in my usual 8,000 - 10,000 steps a day.

Enter indoor KB waiter walks.

Pick a weight you can do for 1,000 steps (500 left, 500 right), stopping only to switch hands.

In terms of what it does for loosening up your hip flexors and QL, and activating your glutes, you'll feel like you had 2,000 - 2,500 steps.

And you'll get a bit of a shoulder girdle and triceps pump that you don't get from regular walking.

I enjoy taking the KB around the house for a walk.

Waiter walks are fun to do that with, especially because every time I get to a doorway I’ve got to add in a lower to rack then press.

Hmm, loosening the hips and QL. Can you explain how that works? Both things I need to do

I need to do more of this kind of stuff.

I’m also a fan a the waiters press for how it feels on the shoulder.

Having a kettlebell in the house has definitely given me an opportunity to do some decent cardio with some loaded box (stair) stepping at the bottom of the staircase, since I can't exactly leave the kids completely unattended yet.

But I've been able to accumulate a good 30 minutes, on a day I wouldn't otherwise be able to, by stashing the 16kg bell hey the stairs, and doing some alternating carries while I do some box stepping. On our first stair step.

Last edited:
what is a waiter press?
Holding the bell by the body with your palm and pressing. That is, you don't hold the handle, you "palm" the body of the bell. I'm not sure what the best angle to put the handle; I just put it wherever feels comfortable. It's interesting because it forces you to really push from underneath the bell, instead of the usual off-center sort of position. It's also best done where you can bail if needed ;)

Another kettlebell press variation that doesn't get a lot of love is the 'thumb press'. To do the thumb press, the kettlebell is in front of the hand and forearm (as opposed to behind as in a regular press) and the weight of the bell is behind supported by your thumb. The weight being in front forces the external rotators to work extra hard to stablize. (it should be clear enough, but I'll make a video later)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom