all posts post new thread

Kettlebell So I've been doing kettlebell curls

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What you say makes a lot of sense. The kettlebell swings are NOT developing the raw strength I need for judo-style pulling power, at least not with the mere 32kg bell, but I can't really do them properly with the 40kg bell single handed. I felt I was getting better judo results back when I went against the S&S rules and did all my swings with the 40kg bell two handed.
I also don't think that deadlifts are developing the kind of pulling strength I need for judo. The pulling in judo is STRAIGHT BACK pulling strength, not lifting up strength.
What weight of kettlebell should I try for the rows?
What can I do on a chinup bar to achieve judo pulling strength?

I definitely LACK upper body puling strength for judo-specific movements. I am brutally and humbly aware of this.

My grip is ridiculously strong, thanks to a whole life of callisthenics, judo and more recently (2 years) kettlebells too.

Why not use the barbell you have and do rows instead of deadlifts with it? You can do rows to your stomach against your legs with your back with a slight angle and to your chest straight vertically from the floor with your back horizontal.

What you say makes a lot of sense. The kettlebell swings are NOT developing the raw strength I need for judo-style pulling power, at least not with the mere 32kg bell, but I can't really do them properly with the 40kg bell single handed. I felt I was getting better judo results back when I went against the S&S rules and did all my swings with the 40kg bell two handed.
I also don't think that deadlifts are developing the kind of pulling strength I need for judo. The pulling in judo is STRAIGHT BACK pulling strength, not lifting up strength.
What weight of kettlebell should I try for the rows?
What can I do on a chinup bar to achieve judo pulling strength?

I definitely LACK upper body puling strength for judo-specific movements. I am brutally and humbly aware of this.

My grip is ridiculously strong, thanks to a whole life of callisthenics, judo and more recently (2 years) kettlebells too.

Pick whatever row that works for you where you can feel your lats work. Pull ups or chin-ups can work. My favorite is bent over single or alternate rows. You can work up to heavy weights without straining your back.

I quit doing barbell rows because of it being hard on my back after deadlifts. My elbows feel a lot better pulling with a neutral wrist position which is not possible with a barbell.

Renegade rows are great but work the core more and you won't be able to row as heavy. Dumbbell version is better for that. Kettlebell version is not as horizontal and not very stable.

For single rows I'd start with 3 sets of 5 reps of a lighter weight (24-28kg) and focus on feeling your lats engage. Then work up to 5 sets. Just guessing on your size but you could be able to work up to 44-48kg in a few months if you work at it twice a week.

I'd vote to add it to the "big 6" kettlebell moves - make it the "big seven". I can't help but get a bit of an impression that the anti-curl "rhetoric" in some of the SF books was written to counter the over-emphasis of the move in North America. But in any case, the biceps is a big muscle and an easy acquisition, and I don't see why I should scorn it.

Maybe training the bicep is somewhat "sport specific", due to a judoka's need to grab and control with the arms. Strong biceps might not be as critical in certain other sports. I'm no expert--this is just a random thought.

Last edited:
What about upright rows? Any thoughts on those for this application?
I like upward rows. But not for working biceps or pulls. I like to use those as a finisher on dedicated shoulder days. I feel those in the delts and traps more than on the biceps.

I"be seen some trainers say to stay away from them because of shoulder impingement but I've never had problems with them. But I always prefer to use a kettlebelll over a EZ bar or barbell so my hands are closer. Don't know if the closer hand placement helps but it feels more natural.

@Kozushi : If you need back pulling strength, maybe a climbing rope would be the thang for you. You could use all kinds of pulling directions, if you do rows with it. Undergrip, overgrip, face pulls, lateral pulls. Or hook it KB on it and pull it towards you. Just be creative :)

Some inspiration from Aleks Salkin
Aleks Salkin on Instagram: “BUILD A BAD-a#@ BACK - One of the pitfalls of bodyweight training - or any kind of strength training, really - is the tendency to narrow…”

Aleks Salkin on Instagram: “Sun's out, guns out! # There's nothing wrong with wanting to look sexy af this summer (or any summer, for that matter), and what better…”

One pulling exercise that covers A LOT of muscle tissue is the RDL-to-Row.

If all you did was RDL-to-Row and Front Squat-to-Push Press, you could be awesome.

I found most bicep hypertrophy in doing pull ups, but thats me.. i could be alien. interesting stuff though.

the biggest calves ive seen in the real world belong to a soldier. walking long distances with heavy equipment on your back seems a great way to develop calves. Mine are relatively big so im not worried. but i climb alot of stairs and suitcase carry a case of tools all day long. :p

For back pulling, rows are the king.

Pendlay rows or towel/T-bar rows if using a barbell. I've had good luck doing bent rows by passing a towel through the handle of a couple of kettlebells.

Lots of information to digest here. I have come to the conclusion though that I am deficient in judo-specific strength. I've started taking chinups seriously again in addition to the kettlebell curls, and I am also doing chinups and pullups from a front-tuck position (the less heroic version of a front lever) to try to get the pulling backwards angle. I am also going to start rowing with kettlebells and maybe consider doing so with the barbell instead - not sure if I need to or not or if the kettlebells are heavy enough. Now, back when I was cheating on S&S and doing 2 handed heavier swings instead of 1 handed swings, I noticed more pulling power for judo. The whole body is needed for an effective judo pull. I am finding that the one handed lighter swings with the 32 aren't giving me the kind of all body pulling power I need. That might change if/when I progress to 1h swings with the 40, but I'm still not sure, since I can't imagine putting as much power into the movement with just one arm. None of this has anything to do with my dedication to S&S, which is amazing. I just need to add to it in order to excel at my sport (which has nothing to do with "health" as Pavel put very eloquently!) The problem with 2h swings replacing 1h swings is that they do not exercise as many different muscles, and of course leave your core a bit loose, which is aesthetically unpleasant. The 1h swings suck everything in tight in the midriff.

Just saw his topic

I threw in some KB squats curls a while back....the next day my entire abdominal region was smoked. I couldnt cough or laugh without knowing all about it.

The action of the weight travelling away from the body and maintaining my body positioning, really fired up the core.

Might be worth adding them back in.

Richard

Just saw his topic

I threw in some KB squats curls a while back....the next day my entire abdominal region was smoked. I couldnt cough or laugh without knowing all about it.

The action of the weight travelling away from the body and maintaining my body positioning, really fired up the core.

Might be worth adding them back in.

Richard
Also doing them in the squatting position adds to the challenge.

Up to simple I used the goblet squat, pry and curl for a 3x5 to see if I was ready to tgu with that weight. It’s a great option

The action of the weight travelling away from the body and maintaining my body positioning, really fired up the core

This pointer from you really helped me be mindful of generating tension and strong body position.
Thank you

Yeah, I just began doing the goblet squat with the curl and my biceps are getting really pumped up. It's shocking me a little bit to be honest.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom