all posts post new thread

Barbell So I've Started Deadlifting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
At some point I knew this was going to happen. I put all my disks on my barbell, and the total weight is 190lbs. I do sets of between 5 to 7 reps. I think it's great. I use that under over grip from the PTTP book. I'm too lazy to keep changing the weights on the bar, and I'm starting pretty light, but I got the idea to do this exercise from the book. It's a very minimal time commitment for very practical strength it seems. Just something seems so natural about it and feels right.

Back in the day when I used to do a lot of barbell work, I never deadlifted. My mindset set was, "why would I just pick the bar up, when it's way more fun to do a clean or snatch? "

Then I stopped the barbell work, 15 or so years went by... and I heard about this TSC thing, that just got me psyched about it. Been deadlifting just once a week for couple months now to try to work up to it, and my back has finally stopped wondering what the hell I'm doing. Deadlift day is almost my favorite - love kettlebells and bodyweight stuff, but there is something very satisfying about moving something heavier than you are.

I think one of Master Pavel's acts of true genius is throwing down great challenges.

Good for you. And if you don’t already have them I would recommend getting at least a couple of 45lb plates so you can get the bar at the proper height off the ground. I would think a guy of your strength would be able to get up to 300lbs or more pretty quick. But there’s nothing wrong (and I highly recommend) starting with lower weights while you dial in your technique.

Good for you. And if you don’t already have them I would recommend getting at least a couple of 45lb plates so you can get the bar at the proper height off the ground. I would think a guy of your strength would be able to get up to 300lbs or more pretty quick. But there’s nothing wrong (and I highly recommend) starting with lower weights while you dial in your technique.
Two of my plates are 45s, so it's at the right height already, which is good. I can do 10 reps with it as it is, at 190lbs. I'll spend a week or two just working on technique at this low weight and then go up 90lbs perhaps, by getting two more 45s (the highest weight plate they sell.)

Hahaha, I knew this was going to happen. I'm still doing S&S 3 times a week, or sometimes 2 if judo gets busy. I'll never quit S&S.

You can buy used weights. You should own double bodyweight worth of weights.

-S-

You can do S&S with a 40kg any day, right?
Once you get the technique right, you should be able to pull 140kg+ easily.

Be sure to own at least three pairs of 45s.
Start low for your weight/strength, but not too low (two wheels - 225lbs/100kg for instance) and double over-hand as long as you can, before switching to alternate.

I am biased. I love deadlifts. It's my favorite lift, along with the military press. :)

What took you so long to get to deadlifts? Like we all knew, it was only a matter of time.

I think you should get up to 200kg pretty soon. Buy plates accordingly.

Last edited:
Tis the season for sales. Not only will you have the holiday sales coming up but in January there's tons of sales on fitness equipment because of the New Year's resolution thing. I took advantage of this some years back and bought a whole new 300 lbs. barbell set as the cost per pound was cheaper than buying individual plates. Plus I got an extra bar (not that it made a difference).

What took you so long to get to deadlifts? Like we all knew, it was only a matter of time.

I think you should get up to 200kg pretty soon. Buy plates accordingly.
Ah, it was always going to happen. You work out for long enough you realize that strength is built easiest with heavier weights. The heaviest move I can do in my own home is the barbell deadlift. Cheap, simple, easy (until high weights of course), fun, eminently practical - obviously was going to get to it. I know the importance of the Big Pull as an exercise, and the heaviest form of this is the deadlift. I also suspect it will help my S&S progress.

You can do S&S with a 40kg any day, right?
Once you get the technique right, you should be able to pull 140kg+ easily.

Be sure to own at least three pairs of 45s.
Start low for your weight/strength, but not too low (two wheels - 225lbs/100kg for instance) and double over-hand as long as you can, before switching to alternate.

I am biased. I love deadlifts. It's my favorite lift, along with the military press. :)
Thank you. I know what weight to use to start now. I happen to weight exactly that much, so it'll be exactly my own bodyweight then.

Double overhand grip eh? Okay. I didn't know that. I had started with over-underhand grip, alternating on the sets.

Tis the season for sales. Not only will you have the holiday sales coming up but in January there's tons of sales on fitness equipment because of the New Year's resolution thing. I took advantage of this some years back and bought a whole new 300 lbs. barbell set as the cost per pound was cheaper than buying individual plates. Plus I got an extra bar (not that it made a difference).
I have a wonderful store nearby where I have bought nearly everything for kettlebelling etc.

You can buy used weights. You should own double bodyweight worth of weights.

-S-

I recently purchased some used iron plates from a dealer in Ft Lupton, CO through eBay; I'm up to 520lbs of liftable iron, more than half bodyweight at 178lbs. Not lifting it all yet, but am working on "putting some weight on that bar, please". @Steve Freides :)

Double overhand grip eh? Okay. I didn't know that. I had started with over-underhand grip, alternating on the sets.
Only a suggestion. :)
Double overhand is symmetrical, trains the grip a bit more. You also have to really grip hard, which benefits the lift.
When it starts to get heavy though, switch to an alternate grip.

@Kozushi, many people use a double overhand grip early in a deadlift cycle and switch to a mixed grip only when the weight is too heavy to hold. Another reason for the mixed grip is simply preparation for using it _when_ the weights get heavier because it does feel different.

Most of the time, I divide my deadlifts equally among double overhand, one mixed grip, and the other mixed grip, each getting about 1/3 of my volume. Typical for me is to start a session with double overhand, then move first to my least-favorite mixed grip, and end with my favorite mixed grip. Another thing I'll do is one session with all double overhand grip, and the next session divided between the two mixed grips.

It's all good, but since the deadlift is such excellent grip training, use as much double overhand as you can and as makes sense for you.

-S-

Cool. I've switched to double overgrip. The bar is still set at 190lbs because that's all I have for the moment. Doing sets of 10 reps to start a session and then less as I get more tired. I'll buy the new plates soon when I have a chance and move the weight up to my bodyweight (225lbs) and then up from there I guess.

I have to say though, with my instinct on this stuff, that even at 190lbs I am certainly getting benefits from this wonderful exercise!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom