all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed So... Lets Debate... For Fun

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
So more recent update. I have just finally been contacted by the US Marshals Service I applied to probably a year ago. Guess fun time may have to wait. Was considering the Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout for when I got back to being serious, any thoughts? I can literally ace it all but the 1.5 mile run (yes I will prob run a little).

Was considering the Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout for when I got back to being serious, any thoughts?
What does that mean?
What's the goal? Fat loss?
Do you still want to go for your squat routine or did the Marshals Service contacting you make you change your plans?
Do you now want to do the EKC Workout instead?
Sorry, but just from your post it'S not clear to me what your plan is now. :)

I never heard of the EKC workout before, but looking at the video on Onnit where you can see examples I think your money and time are better spend on something else.
It looks like a mindless "I'll make you sweat (and maybe puke)"-routine for people who think that a training session is only good if you're lying on the floor in a pool of your sweat gasping for air.
Pressing a KB overhead with both hands on it? Doing thrusters with the same kind of grip? Stupid stuff IMO.

I have something in mind that might be a good alternative, but want to hear about your plans first.

@Kettlebelephant - Yes, the contact from USMS has changed my plans from fun to serious now. I don't know how long I have until the physical fitness test but I figure I should get back to pushing my endurance up so I can pass the run test. I would love some weight loss and will likely get some while I am doing that. I have always had problems running, some odd lung issue that just makes it difficult. I can contribute it to my weight but even out of Marine Corps boot camp at 155lbs running was real tough. I think my recent best 1.5 miler was prob about 14 minutes and I need bare minimum 12 minutes. I will be out running so no issue there, but I am limited to 1 - 2 days a week or injury occurs (due to my weight and feet). So I am looking to do something indoors or non-impact that can push my endurance higher (maybe even drop weight!) so I can nearly sprint the 1.5 mile.

@Steve Freides - What is A + A? I do not know that acronym / abbreviation.

Thanks all, guess I cant have a fun winter... lol... back to work...

OH... any thoughts on the Tactical Athlete website? Workout of the Day

Last edited:
OH... any thoughts on the Tactical Athlete website? Workout of the Day
Having done crossfit for some time, personally I don't like WOD based "routines". I put routine in quotation marks, because I don't really consider them a routine.
A routine is something with a plan, with a structure. It has a starting and end point and progress in between those points. It follows the rules of programing.
WODs are standalone workouts that, to me, should be seen as tests, as a benchmark if you will.
Pick a certain WOD, train and afterwards do the WOD again to see whether your score/time improved. The TSC could be seen as a WOD, because on that particular day it really is your "Workout of the day".
Just doing WOD after WOD after WOD and so on is no routine and will never be able to produce the kind of results a structured routine will produce.
Using the TSC example what's better:
Following a structured routine like the some on this website or doing the 3 maximum DLs, a maxset of pullups and a 5min snatch-test every day you train?

Doing only WODs and using that as your routine falls into...
mindless "I'll make you sweat (and maybe puke)"-routine for people who think that a training session is only good if you're lying on the floor in a pool of your sweat gasping for air.
...that category IMO.
Picking WODs and doing one once per week or once every 2 weeks is ok to feel the burn and work in the glycolictic area. We do that in S&S aswell on the days we test and try to beat the time standards.

Some genius might even be able to come up with a WOD based routine that actually follows the rules of programing and is structured well, but I haven't seen something like that ever.

Just looking at the Tactical Athlete WODs I know they belong into the "mindless sweat puke" category.
Look at 29. Nov. WOD: Using 90% of 1RM deadlifts for reps in a circuit without prescribed rest periods, but aiming to do everything as fast as possible...
I'm reading "X rounds for time" a lot.
Their WODs are far away from being a productive routine.
Stay away from that.

I will be out running so no issue there, but I am limited to 1 - 2 days a week or injury occurs (due to my weight and feet). So I am looking to do something indoors or non-impact that can push my endurance higher (maybe even drop weight!) so I can nearly sprint the 1.5 mile.
I think a Base Building phase from Tactical Barbell 2 would serve you well, but that's clearly a lot more than 1-2 days of running per week, so not the best option.

So let's get to the other routine I was thinking of (the one I mentioned in my earlier post).
What do you think of a routine that aims to improve the following things:
- General (multipurpose) endurance
- One-arm KB press 1RM
- Body composition
It's 2 days/week (Mon+Fri), but has up to three variety days on Wed, Thu and Sat that allow everything except intense anaerobic endurance training. You could do something like heavy squats or DLs on that day or easy endurance work (like MAF running). In your case maybe some squats on wednesday and your running on thursday and saturday.
It uses swings, presses and C&Ps.
It's seven weeks long.
If you're interested contact Craig Marker and ask him about "Program 520".

Steve mentioned A+A.
I didn't think about that, but this might also be very beneficial in your case. A+A + LSD (long slow distance) running.

So......we're doing conditioning now?
Wake me Tuesday when we get back to strength training.

Okay so @Steve Freides I am getting from the A+A protocol the following:

1. Pick a kettlebell you can snatch or swing 8-10 times.
2. Perform sets of 5 (is it 5 per hand with snatches?)
3. Rest as needed to repeat for 5 perfect reps, not trying to chase failure at all.

So if I give myself a 90 minute time period, I would just calmly repeat this over the 90 minute period or until I feel I am done? Seems like fun...

@Kettlebelephant - I have seen that Tactical Athlete does repeat WODs rather frequently. I dunno it seems like a simple "do this" program from someone who trains LEOs...

I am just looking to be able to do a lot of painful crap for a good long time because no matter what running is going to be painful for me (for my lungs, not injury related).

Last edited:
I have seen that Tactical Athlete does repeat WODs rather frequently. I dunno it seems like a simple "do this" program from someone who trains LEOs...
Simple yes, but not productive or smart, most likely even dangerous***. Look up how many people get injured over time by following crossfit.
The Tactical Athlete WODs are 100% crossfit, just with a heavier focus on KBs.

Regarding "rather frequent".
I just looked at the first page. There are all the WODs from 21-30 November. 10 days with 9 WODs. None of them was identical to another. Nothing frequent there.
Even if there were frequent repeats, e.g. only the same 5 WODs done every week, it wouldn't make it better.
WODs are still tests/competitions. Competing every day is nothing good.

***I'm using that particular WOD again as an example:
5 rounds for time -
3 Deadlifts @90% of 1RM
3 Pullups (32Kg)
3 HSPUs
--------
3 DLs at 90%? 90% of 1RM is your 3RM (Predicting One-rep Max).
They want you to go for a 3RM deadlift followed by other stuff multiple times and on top of it limit rest to basically zero (because the goal is to have the lowest possible time).
Consider yourself very lucky if you stay injury free if you do that kind of workout frequently.
What's a LEO going to tell his superior if he can't do his work, because he snapped his back doing very heavy DLs in a super fatigued state?

So if I give myself a 90 minute time period, I would just calmly repeat this over the 90 minute period or until I feel I am done? Seems like fun...
90min is way too long.
Al Ciampa introduced us to the concept of A+A.
His recommendation is an average of 30 repeats. So some days can be only 20 and some longer 40, but 30 on average.
Rest between repeats is around 50sec to 2min. Therefore the average session should only take 30-40min.
Have a look at this: A+A&A

Perform sets of 5 (is it 5 per hand with snatches?)
Yes, for snatches or 1H-swings it's 5 per hand.
That means 5 reps with one hand counts as 1 repeat.
It's 5 reps right, rest 50sec-2min, 5 reps left, rest etc.
It's not 5 reps right, switch hands, 5 reps left, rest.

@Kettlebelephant - Okay thanks! 90 Mins was arbitrary but thats usually what I give myself in the mornings (warmups, workout, cooldowns, bowel movements... etc... :p ) but it helps for clarification.

So I am gathering I can essentially do this 5 days a week if I wanted?

Also, post A+A, I can add in the LSD running for 1-2 days a week and then maybe 2 days of rucking and one day of just A+A?

Last edited:
@Nathan, this started as "let's debate ... for fun" and now it's becoming a real program. Let's be careful not to confuse the two more than we have already.

-S-

Okay, if its going to be nitpicky like that then I certainly will end the thread here.

Okay, if its going to be nitpicky like that then I certainly will end the thread here.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's a point that needs to be raised here. It's one thing to kick around ideas, and another to ask for specific training advice. You're perfectly welcomed to do one, the other, or both, but it is nice for the rest of us to have an idea about what you're looking for, and I confess to finding myself confused on that point in this thread and I don't think I'm the only one.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom