all posts post new thread

Off-Topic so much pain after sling removed post-rotator surgery!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

blupaisan

First Post
After 6 weeks in a (cheap) sling my surgeon says I must abandon it.
Surgery went well, initial PT going ok but this new pain is intolerable.
It is mostly in my neck (same side as surgery) but also creeping down into the shoulder.
My surgeon is fairly useless, will not even return my phone calls for help,
my PT states "that happens often, let me put more rock tape on."
Even heavy drugs, ice and rest are not helping.

Anyone else had this issue? if so, what on earth did you find that relieved the pain?

thanks!

Brother I feel your pain literally. Pardon the pun. I got surgery yesterday and I went to get out of the recliner and I sort of raised it in the abduction style and it hurt tremendously bad. I'm scared that I re injured. Did you ever move it on accident? What are the chances of ruining the surgery?

New to forum, typing with left hand - rotator cuff surgery 9-15-20. Panicking that I have or will ruin repairs because I abducted a tiny bit on accident and it HURT BAD .

I'd get 2nd opinion, starting with the PT.

That said, have you ever had muscular or joint surgical repair before?
It hurts, the surgical site hurts, the inflammation causes peripheral pain in ways unimagined. Afterward and for a long time the scar tissue hurts until it gets good and soft, even then it will hurt sometimes.

I do not know the odds of reinjuring or compromising a repair with small movements, but generally they will imobilize up to 6-8 weeks if they think its that delicate of an initial set-up.

My general advice is to do as the PT instructs in terms of exercise, mobility, positional resting, ice, OTC or prescription pain killers or NSAIDs (although I would use the minimum dose of prescription pain killers for obvious reasons).

Surgery and recovery can be extremely unpleasant, assume thr best and work toward recovery. Take long walks, sleep as much as possible, follow the Dr and PT recovery advice. Expect and accept that you will experience eye-watering, gasp through your teeth pain from time to time. Depending on type of surgery, your body is recovering from the tissue disruption equivalent of being whacked with a hatchet. Stay optimistic and do what you can. Report back level if pain to Dr and PT and ask them if it is unusual or not. It probably is perfectly normal.

Brother I feel your pain literally. Pardon the pun. I got surgery yesterday and I went to get out of the recliner and I sort of raised it in the abduction style and it hurt tremendously bad. I'm scared that I re injured. Did you ever move it on accident? What are the chances of ruining the surgery?

New to forum, typing with left hand - rotator cuff surgery 9-15-20. Panicking that I have or will ruin repairs because I abducted a tiny bit on accident and it HURT BAD .
Hang in there, I've had both of mine done, plus reattached bicep tendon. It's probably okay, if you see any bleeding or additional swelling, call the doc. You should have an aftercare-pain team(nurses) checking on you this soon after surgery. Call them. If you can't avoid moving it, ask your surgeon if he can put you into a gunslinger type of sling. They're a bitch to sleep in, but they really restrict movement while tendons heal. I had to wear one for 7 weeks afterwards when the rotator cuff and bicep tendon was repaired. I was almost out of it with pain, and called my aftercare nurses, and she told me take the next pill right away rather than wait 4 more hours. That got me over the hump. I hope you start feeling better.

I'd get 2nd opinion, starting with the PT.

That said, have you ever had muscular or joint surgical repair before?
It hurts, the surgical site hurts, the inflammation causes peripheral pain in ways unimagined. Afterward and for a long time the scar tissue hurts until it gets good and soft, even then it will hurt sometimes.

I do not know the odds of reinjuring or compromising a repair with small movements, but generally they will imobilize up to 6-8 weeks if they think its that delicate of an initial set-up.

My general advice is to do as the PT instructs in terms of exercise, mobility, positional resting, ice, OTC or prescription pain killers or NSAIDs (although I would use the minimum dose of prescription pain killers for obvious reasons).

Surgery and recovery can be extremely unpleasant, assume thr best and work toward recovery. Take long walks, sleep as much as possible, follow the Dr and PT recovery advice. Expect and accept that you will experience eye-watering, gasp through your teeth pain from time to time. Depending on type of surgery, your body is recovering from the tissue disruption equivalent of being whacked with a hatchet. Stay optimistic and do what you can. Report back level if pain to Dr and PT and ask them if it is unusual or not. It probably is perfectly normal.
He's more than likely not with a PT for several weeks.

Hi guys, thank you very much. I actually started feeling better and I found that putting the sling in front of my body rather than my elbow to my side greatly reduces the pain period of course I'm using the ice machine and the Hydrocodone, alternating with liquid ibuprofen. I repeat, I feel much better I was panicking!

If possible I will attach a video. They gave me a Mechanical (passive range of motion) chair to do passive only movements .... to move me through abduction and external rotation increasing in small amounts for 3 weeks. I will do these activities 3 times A-day for 1 to 2 hours.

Hi guys, thank you very much. I actually started feeling better and I found that putting the sling in front of my body rather than my elbow to my side greatly reduces the pain period of course I'm using the ice machine and the Hydrocodone, alternating with liquid ibuprofen. I repeat, I feel much better I was panicking!

If possible I will attach a video. They gave me a Mechanical (passive range of motion) chair to do passive only movements .... to move me through abduction and external rotation increasing in small amounts for 3 weeks. I will do these activities 3 times A-day for 1 to 2 hours.
Good deal! Glad to hear the pain is subsiding some. It's easy to get a little panicky when the pain meter is up at 9 or 10.

It’s pretty easy to mess up the surgery, especially in the early days.
It might also be difficult to find a new surgeon who is willing to take on the case, but you could try. You will have better luck with a new PT.

It was day 2 and I over reacted. I had nothing in my hand and hardly moved it. The stiffness is the reason I cried in pain.. it feels normal. I do 900 repetitions in this PROM chair DAILY; passive range of motion... ITS LOOSENING UP .

Thank you for the feedback

It was day 2 and I over reacted. I had nothing in my hand and hardly moved it. The stiffness is the reason I cried in pain.. it feels normal. I do 900 repetitions in this PROM chair DAILY; passive range of motion... ITS LOOSENING UP .

Hope you're feeling better today. Don't rush things.

When I had scaphoidectomy + 4 corner fusion of my right wrist it hurt so bad when they took the cast off I asked them to put another one back on.

This is my 1st surgery North coast Miller.

The exercise chair I have is called a continuous passive motion chair you can look them up to see it. Abduction + rotation... passive - I don't fire the muscles.

I can do this exercise fine, BUT BUT BUT What I have trouble is when I stop moving it and am in the recliner or trying to sleep otherwise, and then it does not want to move at all and I experience such sharp pains that I start freaking out again.

[ ] I think I do have peripheral pain but I'm not sure what it is. I looked it up but not sure. So when I'm sitting still for 20 or more minutes or trying to sleep I feel like getting back in the CPM chair to get relief. The only time it feels better as when I moving it. But it's resting in that "arm lying flat " position that causes my INTENSE SHARP pain if I move the upper arm in ANY way (I can bend elbow fine and squeeze fist) .. its a 10/10 pain scale like you described . I'm not getting much rest because the only way I manage pain is to get back in a chair and let it move me around but I need to rest in order to heal isn't that right?

After 6 weeks in a (cheap) sling my surgeon says I must abandon it.
Surgery went well, initial PT going ok but this new pain is intolerable.
It is mostly in my neck (same side as surgery) but also creeping down into the shoulder.
My surgeon is fairly useless, will not even return my phone calls for help,
my PT states "that happens often, let me put more rock tape on."
Even heavy drugs, ice and rest are not helping.

Anyone else had this issue? if so, what on earth did you find that relieved the pain?

thanks!

Blupaisen I hope you improved. s*** man that's how I'm feeling , even in the sling. It only feels better when I get moving in the CPM chair. It's called the OptiFlex S if you want to look. After moving around and loosening it up it gets better temporarily but then it locks backup and any movement of the upper shoulder causes really sharp pains at the Max level and frankly it bothers me because its the same type of pain I had before surgery ( The pain is much more now it was never this badd hopefully it's just because the injury was the same location as the repair and now this repair will take time to heal and it will go away)

This is my 1st surgery North coast Miller.

The exercise chair I have is called a continuous passive motion chair you can look them up to see it. Abduction + rotation... passive - I don't fire the muscles.

I can do this exercise fine, BUT BUT BUT What I have trouble is when I stop moving it and am in the recliner or trying to sleep otherwise, and then it does not want to move at all and I experience such sharp pains that I start freaking out again.

[ ] I think I do have peripheral pain but I'm not sure what it is. I looked it up but not sure. So when I'm sitting still for 20 or more minutes or trying to sleep I feel like getting back in the CPM chair to get relief. The only time it feels better as when I moving it. But it's resting in that "arm lying flat " position that causes my INTENSE SHARP pain if I move the upper arm in ANY way (I can bend elbow fine and squeeze fist) .. its a 10/10 pain scale like you described . I'm not getting much rest because the only way I manage pain is to get back in a chair and let it move me around but I need to rest in order to heal isn't that right?

any movement, whether it’s passive or active, will increase blood flow to the limb, which moves the swelling out and relieves pain. having pain at rest is normal.

regarding use of the CPM, usually the surgeon or the sales rep for the machine determine length of time and daily frequency. I would follow those guidelines, because yes, you need rest to heal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom