all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Social Distance Strong!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For those bodyweight and mobility oriented people out there.... google the Koala Challenge... might be tough to do with Social Distancing however.

Don't let @LoriLifts see it however... I'm sure she would at it to her list of challenges

Nice thread.

My wife is working from home. She's at phone meetings/conferencing/preparing for her projects releases.
My son is learning remotely, doing tests remotely, conferencing with his teacher and classmates.
My daughter is doing assignments by her class teacher, web learning, setting up Zoom for her upcoming remote dance class.
I'm lifting kettlebells, running, walking the dog, doing groceries (last joke - Who does groceries at pandemic? Less valuable member of the family), serving coffee and meals, bbq-ing, cleaning. In Israel my emploi is called "Moroccan mother" ?
Ah, and it took me 4-5 short sessions to get my 13yo son doing decent, explosive 2 arms swing with 35 lbs. I'm worth something after all ?

Don't let @LoriLifts see it however... I'm sure she would at it to her list of challenges
Does it involve challenging Koala bears?
It may have to be postponed.
I'm still measuring stairs in my house to do 3000 steps.
Haven't found any 12 inch ones yet..

I find myself enthusiastically volunteering for small tasks. Anything out of the house.

For example,
Before Corona, most weeks, I was working on the road. Weekends were for staying at home, as much as possible.
I would go out for dinner on Sundays, under protest.

During Corona, home 24 hrs a day, everyday.
"The coffee is getting low! Maybe I need to go to the store and buy coffee! What do you think? We need coffee! I'll go to the store right now!"

My poor husband...

Here's a little food for thought: the stock for the company I work for lost about 60% of it's original value when the panic selling hit its peak (or, at least the most recent peak). Today its back up to about 70% of its original value.

What that means is, if you had the guts (and the means) to buy when the panic selling hit it's peak, you could have made 70% gain on your investment. That effectively represents a transfer of wealth from those who can least afford it (i.e. the people who were panicking) to those who need it least (i.e. the people who could afford to invest while others panicked).

Crazy times. Don't get suckered.

As a wise man once said, if you have to sell in a crash you shouldn't have been in the share market in the first place. The people who haven't sold, haven't lost a cent. Be like those people!

I threw caution to the wind and went to a Whole Foods today.
The changes were unnerving.
Security with a clicker at the entrance.
Only 50 shoppers at a time.
Signs throughout the store with rules. 2 cartons of eggs per customer, 1 gallon of milk.
Ready to checkout? Stand in a line, in a square, 6 ft apart.
Plexiglass between me and the cashier.
same here, except the counting at the entrance, instead the clean the shopping carts...the cashier said when I was paying "oh, someone without gloves and not covering your mouth" me "should I feel ashamed?" she "no, I like it". We both smiled.
I am keeping the distance, no sneezing or coughing, washing hands, no social contact (except with one friend who lives alone, but wee meet outside for walks). I do not want to panic- hospitals need and should have all the face masks we have, not me going for a walk meeting one person every 50 meters..

My days are beginning to seem like this movie..
gd.jpg

Since the virus, all days are the same. Day after day after day.

I'm struggling to find content for this thread.
Then it occurred to me..
Pet pics!
Post your pet pics!
I'll start.
This is Rocky, the Bengal cat.
Every morning, he joins me at my stay at home and work station.
Sometimes he's cranky. But sometimes he's sweet. Either way, taking care of him keeps me from losing my mind.
IMG_2068.jpg

Who is your quarantine companion?

My son (10 years old) unfortunately inherited his old man's bad habit of picking at his fingernails. Over the last few weeks, he's gone into overdrive - he's picking at them constantly, to the point where we're worried about him.

I sat down with him yesterday and asked if all this stuff is stressing him out or scaring him. Turns out he's not scared, just feeling like he's in jail. He is by far the most "social" member of the family - more than any of the rest of us, he really needs time with his friends, and this a stuff is hitting him pretty hard. When I told him this would continue through all of April, he just about broke down, poor kid. ? Me having always been a pretty independent (sometimes even antisocial) guy, even as a child, I didn't really appreciate before how this was affecting him.

We're going to try to set up some regular online meetings with his buddies, hopefully that will help.

If you happen to be lucky enough to be isolated with a kid or two, hug 'em lots, and find out how they're feeling.

Found out that our local bookshop takes online orders.
Can get my new book tomorrow - they put in into a box in front of the shop, you take it.
Not that I "need" a new one but it feels good to support them. And reading a nice book in the sun never hurts :) win-win

I like this channel and thought of @crazycanuck (quick but covering some of our favourite&essential moves ;)) when searching for a core movement snack for tomorrow!

Last edited:
My kids have been doing online classes for a month and now they are off for Spring Break!?!? Why does someone who hasn't woken up before noon for a month and has about 45 minutes of class work a day need Spring Break? My kids won't see the inside of a school until September. They should be home schooling all summer to make up for what they aren't getting now.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom